Building the Merlin engines.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 9JL » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Hello everyone,can I join in the fun with this latest partworks ? I built the Red Baron by Hachette a few years back now and despite the numerous problems with it thanks to groups like this managed to get it completed,at the time there was a small card which asked us to put our comments and it revealed the first beginnings of this Avro Lancaster model by saying 'If there was a part works Lancaster would you buy it ?' too right I would but just put it down to another bit of marketing ,several years later it appeared ! and here we are with another challenging project to keep us busy for quite a time yet,now I view these partworks as a basis for challenges,if anyone thinks that this one is going to be plain sailing then think again ? already we have the wingtips which I can tell you now are far from easy to assemble and require a lot of planning,Hachette have made a mountain out of a molehill in order for these to be assembled,for a start the wood is too thick and should have been miralyte ply in order to bend at all angles to the wingtip,already I am working on a fix on the workbench to solve the problem and no doubt many others here will too as they just do not go together satisfactorily,but hey we are all model builders and not kit assemblers so why worry ? everyone is far from a beginner here and combined any fix can be sorted.
Anyway back to the engines which are beauties,every stage of these plus the other major components are here http://groups.google.com/group/build-a-lancaster-bomber virtually up to date except for the wingtips as mentioned above.
To build the engines is a real pleasure however a few tips in this format are described thus:
Issue 6 contains a beautiful set of castings to build one of the Merlin powerplants for this model,these Mazak castings are clean and only require the minimum of cleaning up with a Swiss file,once this is done they are lightly sprayed with some auto grey primer followed by semi matt black paint.

It is important to remove areas of paint where the parts are assembled with cyno,scraping and the use of wet and dry paper are the best ways to do this,where areas need to be silver a gentle rub with fine wet and dry paper is all that is required.

Any problems ?

The top of the cylinder block needs the bolt heads removing with a warding file as the rocker cover does not sit neatly or flat,it should in fact sit between the bolt heads but no way does it align that way,also the supercharger does not sit quite right being skewed and needs a gentle bit of work with a file to rectify the positioning of this item and bring it into line.

Please forgive my lengthy appraisals but I just want to show my enthusiasm for this subject,my handle reflects my fathers Avro Lancaster PB732 9J-L which he flew during WW2 from Lincolnshire,one of my models will feature this aircraft in covered fashion and the other model will be skeletal with as much extra detailing as possible in this model,it all depends on what can be physically fitted into it ?

As mentioned this is going to be a big challenge for many of us,if only Hachette had once again forgotton the golden rule,that is we needs plans to build models,it happened with the Red Baron Fokker Triplane,if only we had drawings for that pesky fuselage it would have made life easier ! if we had our crystal ball then the design of the model could be studied but sometimes there are surprises along the way,so for those who are building this piecemeal week by week carry on,for those who are stashing away the parts just make sure that everything is in place and not broken now,for those purchasing by mail order the best of luck with all of these frail wooden pieces which need a sturdy card membrane in order to make them travel easily.
I look forward to building with you all and seeing how others tackle some of the more tricky bits.
Best of luck '9J-L'

From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Building the Merlin engines.

Postby chill » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 am

Excellent post there - thank you for the heads up over the engine blocks.

Few questions and comments, are the plastic stringers tensioned on the wing or just dropped into the slots?

And with your comments about the wing tips, always makes me think of the Deag Spitfire wing tips - they were a git to fit. I will throw the instructions out of the window when i start my second Spitifre. I wonder how we wil get the curvature/shape on our wingtips.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby 9JL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Thank you Chill you are more than welcome,the stringers in theory fit into the slots and should sit nicely,however we have been supplied so far with straight plastic stringers and others curved into the magazine that have sat in a warehouse for 2 years pending distribution this has given them a permanent bend which so far I have been unable to straighten,so what happens now is they do not lie easily into the slots,the only solution is to stick one end and allow that to dry,then gently pull the plastic lengthwise into the slots and tack it along the way,there is no tension applied just a gradual straightening of the plastic.

I worked the midnight oil on the wingtips and have found out where the problems lie,a satisfactory work around has been found and the wingtips can now be made to retain the correct and distinctive Lancaster shape,it takes a bit of extra work but well worth the effort involved,the details will be up later for those struggling with this item.
I have not worked out what the slot is for between the wing and the tip ? perhaps someone can enlighten us as to its ultimate purpose.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:55 pm

As the castings come with the magazine,check to make sure that nothing is missing as the parts can migrate through the packing.

9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby mttmwilson » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi all..
Is anybody considering fitting micro motors to the engines? To see some examples check this site out :http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/index.php?catTop=1
I thought of drilling and inserting the motors into the engines (Getting all four shafts straight would probably be tricky!). Not sure if the small ones would be powerful enough to spin the quite large propellors, I have no experience of small motors. I think this model would look fantastic with all four propellors spinning. For modifications to the Lanc, so far I have decided to go with Barrys Extra fuel tanks, some lighting in the wing tips and in the fuselage as well as spinning props if possible.

Anybody got any thoughts on this, especially what size motor they believe would be required.

Thanks, Mike.
mttmwilson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby BRUCE » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Mark I had the Grand Slam Tamiya Lancaster fitted with the micro motors and it was the first time I had motorised anything- they spun for hours. I agree it would be a good idea, would like to do so myself actually, don''t think that the very small micro motor type used in the 1/48 kit would have enough torque to spin the metal props of the Hatchette. Question as to where the power pack would be placed as well - .Best bet would be to email their customer services an enquiry - Bruce
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Nice idea. If I were to try the mod I would probably start with this motor.

http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/pro ... cts_id=108

Being tiny (6mm diameter, it should fit (I haven't measured the merlin), and being geared it should be able to turn the prop (no promises). Not too sure how you would attach the prop to the motor. Maybe fit a bearing just behind the prop to support it, and make an adapter from a bit of brass rod, hole in one end to take the 3mm motor shaft, and a hole in the prop to take the adapter ? Just thinking aloud really. However, I'm sure you would need ball raced bearing to support the weight of the metal prop. The only down side is the cost of those motors and about £10 each :o
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUCE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Reply from Precisionmicro-drives Re customer enquiry for powering the Merlins

The 206-101 has been used before by model ship builders to drive the rotating radar mast on some of their smaller scale models so it's perhaps suitable for your application. I would note that the small motor isn't silent, so you will have some noise of the planetary gearbox.

We've had one customer who built a model WW2 bomber (not sure if it was the Lancaster) but included our 12mm inline gearmotors for driving his propellers. It will be relatively slow, but there will be no problem with torque.

There isn't much we can do with the pricing front I'm afraid, unless you are have a number of forum members looking to buy together to pool a larger quantity order.

Thanks & good luck!
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby TANKEN » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:56 am

9JL wrote:Thank you Chill you are more than welcome,the stringers in theory fit into the slots and should sit nicely,however we have been supplied so far with straight plastic stringers and others curved into the magazine that have sat in a warehouse for 2 years pending distribution this has given them a permanent bend which so far I have been unable to straighten,so what happens now is they do not lie easily into the slots,the only solution is to stick one end and allow that to dry,then gently pull the plastic lengthwise into the slots and tack it along the way,there is no tension applied just a gradual straightening of the plastic.

I worked the midnight oil on the wingtips and have found out where the problems lie,a satisfactory work around has been found and the wingtips can now be made to retain the correct and distinctive Lancaster shape,it takes a bit of extra work but well worth the effort involved,the details will be up later for those struggling with this item.
I have not worked out what the slot is for between the wing and the tip ? perhaps someone can enlighten us as to its ultimate purpose.

Re wigtips
I used a lage dessert spoon to shape them before attaching , worked a treat . plced wing tip on carpet and pushed down with spoon and worked round massaging them to shape.
everyone has a purpose in life. Even if it is as a warning to others.
TANKEN
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Tanker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm not building this model but in digging around for something else I came across this 1/32 resin upgrade for the rocker covers which have the Rolls Royce nameplate on the side

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/barracuda ... logos.html.
Tanker
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Building the Merlin engines-Heads up on their fitting.

Postby 9JL » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:50 pm

It looks as if Old Un has had a real problem fitting the Merlin's into this model,there is a problem with the length of them and they do not meet the front of the engine cowlings when properly seated into their engine bearers,ie the crankshaft will not protude past the cowling front so the propellers do not fit onto them.
We need to think about how this problem can be resolved so get your thinking caps on builders,he has simply attached the front portion of the engine supercharger onto the front of the cowl and bridged the gap with milliput,I think that there must be a neater way forward on this ? I am a long way off this sequence but it is as well to be aware of the problem so it can be resolved.
Barry.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Off the top of my head, two solutions spring to mind. You could shorten the crank shaft a bit, then put a sleeve on it to cover the distance from the front of the engine to the back of the cowl. Then use a bit of brass rod inserted inthe sleeve to mount the prop on. It would leave the crank shaft a bit over diameter, but that probably wouldn't show. You could also cut the crankshaft off completely, drill a hole in the front of the engine and fit a brass rod of suitable length. A neater solution if the engine is not yet assembled, and you have access to a pillar drill.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 9JL » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Yes Mark I was thinking along similar lines to what you have stated here,also once the engines are sitting in their bearers and the side cowls offered up the true length needed should become apparent,a good idea and we can at least meet that goal when we come to it.
Barry.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby tom1992 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi Guy's,

I am also considering motorising the engines (I've also had spinning props om my 1:24th spitfire and mossie) so any advice and/or suggestions would be most helpful
I'm trying to keep my options open as long as possible.
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cliff60 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

The engines do look very nice. But i had to take mine off cause the nacells would not fit over the engines. Cant even display the engines next to the model cause i had to take off the prop shaft to glue inside the nacells to fit the props on. 1st i checked and saw the radiators were to big. So took them off. Then the oil pump was in the way so took that off. Then the engine mounts were in the way so cut the outer bit off still would not fit, So ended up having to take the engines off and the mounts. But the nacells were still too small to fit on the mount board so had to sand them down to make them small enough to fit. Now the rear nacells and undercarraige nacells r too big lol. Well except the left wing outer nacell which is way to small and the too halfs r diff sizes and wont fit together.
cliff60
Corporal
Corporal

Return to The Engines