Mark's entry - take 2!

Anything goes - give it your best shot!!

Mark's entry - take 2!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mark's entry - take 2!

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Like I said, I lost my mojo for the Tipo 159, and didn't actually do much modelling for most of the year. However, I'm back in the groove again now. Clearly there is no chance whatsoever of completing an MFH car before the end of January, so plan B.

I managed to get a copy of the Tacoma Yamato Turret kit. It's a fairly simple kit, but 1/72 scale, so it's BIG!!

Nice box art!

The base is almost the full box! The scalpel is there for scale!

The turret body os one massive part too!!

Then we get 3 barrels. There is two of this sprue.

Two sets of blast bags, depending whether you want the barrels raised or lowered.

Some fiddly bits!

A small etched fret. Nice name plate!

instructions are very good!

The kit also comes with some fishing line for the hand rails. However, that isn't going to lay right, so I'll replace that with lead wire.

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mark's entry - take 2!

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Let's make a start.

This is the interior assembly. The bar at the back is to hold the range finder. This can swivel a little, but I glued it solid as nobody will be pocking their fingers inside to move it. Well, not if they want to keep said fingers!

The main body is glued in place.

The range finder covers that stick out the side are needing a bit of filling inside. The outside is an almost perfect join, but inside is a bit rough! It was a bit of a game getting them to fit too. The slots were a tad under-sized.

The ladders are pretty good, apart from the top where they have moulded a flat filled in plate rather than the curve that they are supposed to be. I'm in the process of making replacements from brass wire. There is a 1/10 scale model in the Yamato museum Hiroshima. I don't usually like using other models as a reference, but this is claimed to be the most accurate model built; using original drawings. There are no close up photos that I can find on the web, so it's that or nothing. The kit seems to be very accurate against this model, with just a couple of errors that I can see. The ladders which are obviously a compromise so they could be moulded reliably, and some oversized lugs on the barrels. More of that anon.

This should be a fairly quick build, and hopefully I'll have time for some weathering too. Gonna needs a big can of primer though!!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Wow, ! Now we're talking....
Morris

Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 43-46
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 8
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 2
Posting some Lost in Space threads..
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:56 pm

I've started to pain the deck now. I'm starting with a light tan base coat. This has a mottled spray with a slightly darker tan as well for a bit of variation.

The next step is somewhat time consuming in painting some of the planks different colours to give a more weathered effect. Not sure how far I'm going to go with this. Depends on how tedious it gets!

Here's the tops of the ladders that I don't like. The one up the front of the turret is OK, but the two at the sides are iffy, and the one at the back is horrible!!

I'm making replacements from brass wire. 0.8mm for the sides, and 0.6mm for the treads. That's the same size as the kit parts. I did try soldering them, but that didn't work well at all. I think probably because I couldn't find the proper flux. The white metal flux didn't seem to work very well. Anyway, superglue seems to work fine.

Firstly, a jog to cut the treads. This is just a step in the wood so you can cut a consistent length.

Then a bit of wood with a hole, so the top can be formed round a screwdriver handle.

Now the other two holes and the lines are the guides for the treads and assembly. The wood is covered in clear tape so it doesn't stick.

The finished ladder looks like this!

That's the side ladders done. It will be a similar process for the rear ladder. They will be temporarily fitted, them primed to make sure they look OK, no gaps or lumps!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:46 am

Well, that didn't work..... :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Plan B, I think, will be to fit the side rails first, then glue the treads in place. Perhaps that will be more successful?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 am

I watching this with interest.

I find using evo impact glue is best for gluing metal, just a small dab on each part, give it 15 mins to dry and then fit together. Be warned that the glue can be a bit stringy
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:36 am

Scratch building ! - ladders are the worst unless you're an artist with a soldering iron....which it appears you are, Mark..I think the jig was back to front maybe? Anyway, build in place sounds good, can't go wrong with that... - hats off to be honest, I wouldn't have the gumption to tackle the ladder... :D
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:33 pm

royjess wrote:I find using evo impact glue is best for gluing metal, just a small dab on each part, give it 15 mins to dry and then fit together. Be warned that the glue can be a bit stringy

The stringiness of that glue puts me off. I always end up with a mess!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Morris wrote:Scratch building ! - ladders are the worst unless you're an artist with a soldering iron....which it appears you are, Mark..I think the jig was back to front maybe? Anyway, build in place sounds good, can't go wrong with that... - hats off to be honest, I wouldn't have the gumption to tackle the ladder... :D

I still have the kit ladders intact..... just in case it goes completely pear-shaped!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:44 pm

Plan B.

I bent the uprights and superglued them in place. There are a couple of 2.5mm plastic strips tapes to the body to get the standoff distance right.

Then I drew the position of the rungs on a strip of wood, covered it in Sellotape to stop the superglue sticking, then glued the rungs in place.

Much better!!

One down, two to go!

The deck has received a bit of attention too. Some individual planks were picked out with the base colour tinted with greens, browns and blues. Then it got a coat of gloss clear. After a large masking session, the battleship grey was sprayed.

Now it just needs a brown wash to bring out the details.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 pm

The deck planking will pop after you add your wash... :)
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 am

Here's the deck with the wash applied. This nearly ended in disaster, but I got lucky.

Firstly, I applied a wash from raw umber oil paint thinned with turps. It was a bit light, and more worryingly, the turps reacted with the clear coat and it went all wrinkled. OK, don't panic, just leave it to dry then see what sort of mess you've got!

Luckily it went flat again as it dried, so I wiped off the areas of wash that went goofy with some enamel thinners.

I then tried another wash of burnt umber thinned with enamel thinners. This worked much better, and gave the result below. Still looks a bit too dirty in places, but it's OK. Just a little more weathered than I'd planned.

Here's the gun barrels all filled and sanded ready for painting. That took a lot more work than it should have done. Mainly the barrel ends needed a fair bit of work. However, they are nicely detailed, with rifling visible.

The range finders painted. The lenses got a touch of Tamiya clear green to give the impression of lens coating. I'm not sure how visible it will be when they are fitted, but I know it's there :lol:

The rear ladder rails were made using the original as a pattern.

These are fitted with stand-offs. I drilled out the location dimples, glued in brass wire, then snipped them off using a spaces to get identical lengths.

Now to glue them in place......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Build of the Year 2020