Who ya gonna call?

Ecto1 by Cyrille

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ecto1 by Cyrille

Postby corwyn34 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:53 pm

A fully restored engine

Lot of paint work, and a few decals found on eBay

16 issues received for the time being, more to come...

:angelic-sunshine:
corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Ecto1 by Cyrille

Postby casper » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Looking really good Cyrille :clap: 8-) nice to see the engine in place and painted up
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby corwyn34 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Thank you Casp !

Here is the front Hood, with the "new" vents you can find on EBay:

A bit expensive, but far better than the ones provided by EAGLEMOSS (without any screw, and far more accurate)

:P
corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Postby casper » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:36 am

So much better 8-) Can i ask what they cost Cyrille :)
casper
General
General

Postby corwyn34 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:10 pm

corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Postby felix_models » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:26 am

Looking good cyrille, not sure how I feel about the copper colour heads and air filter though as the blue heads is correct as is and similar with the black for the filter, although I shall be giving mine a coat of black silk I think. I've also got plans to paint the spark plugs up a little too and glue some small nuts onto the visible screw heads

The decal set you got from ebay, is that the water slide transfer set that I have also seen on there or is there another set?

I wonder what the difference is between the replacement vents you got for €17 and the vents offered by mike lane at £30 are....
Building: Battleship Bismarck, Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Complete:R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC
felix_models
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby corwyn34 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi Felix,

Here is one of the pictures that gives me some ideas for the painting:

The copper I used is a bit too dark…

Decals (water slide transfers) are from "Rail-road Models":

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/NEW-Decal-set-f ... SwIKFc~j5n

I take a look on Mike Lane's vents, they seem very "flat" compared to their french counterpart…

And do you know this website: http://www.modelmodz.com ?

They have some goodies too for our Ecto :P , and certainly more to come.

corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Postby felix_models » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:29 pm

I see where your coming from with that, but iirc that is an Eldorado. The miller meteor (and this ecto 1) were all just plain satin black for the filter and the lifter covers were engine blue.

Of course it is all personal choice though and things like this that make our models individual. I think what you have done looks great, just not for me. Some people have added highlights to the cadillac embossing on the covers (I have seen both silver and red), and also seen a few people painting the top of the filter silver with a red ring. These all look fab and are giving me ideas too. All true to how various styles of them came. I shall just be sticking with stain black, maybe adding some silver highlights to look like scratches, and maybe a decal if I can find one. I'm also going to 'dirty' up the engine a bit once built, and have plans to touch up the spark plugs, wire the distro cap correctly and add proper plugs to the wire ends to connect to the plugs properly.

I have bought the same decal set and currently waiting arrival. Any tips for applying them as I have never done it before. Do you have to use micro sol and micro set? Or can you just get away with soaking the decal, applying and leaving to dry?

Yeah I'm aware of modelmodz and keeping a keen eye on them for the upgrades, they did some superb work on the delorean build an did wish I had done that now too. Im also in their facebook groups too which are a great community
Building: Battleship Bismarck, Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
felix_models
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby corwyn34 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:39 pm

You're right Felix, it's the engine of an Eldorado. I like "shiny" engine (I have painted the engine of "my" Delorean in red…) ;)

For the decals, no need of micro sol or micro set, I just use a wet rag to dry the decals when applied.

corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Postby felix_models » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 pm

Can I ask what paints you used? I only have tamiya spray paints for lexan body shells for RC cars and dont think they'll be suitable for this model. Thanks for the advice on the decals, I've watched quite a few videos on youtube and they all show various different methods so I was a bit confused
felix_models
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby casper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Thanks for the link :) lots of interesting extra parts and mods, great site.
http://www.modelmodz.com/
casper
General
General

Postby corwyn34 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:55 am

felix_models wrote:Can I ask what paints you used? I only have tamiya spray paints for lexan body shells for RC cars and dont think they'll be suitable for this model. Thanks for the advice on the decals, I've watched quite a few videos on youtube and they all show various different methods so I was a bit confused

For the most part, I use car spray !!! trademark is "MOTIP", i can find it anywhere:

https://www.sprayboutic.com/peintures-carrosserie/1176-aerosol-peinture-motip-53922-400-ml-8711347141432.html?utm_campaign=GShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrbr7wd-C6AIVxOFRCh1AbQt7EAQYBCABEgLW2PD_BwE

It's suitable for plastic and metal parts.

corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Postby felix_models » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:25 am

Aahh no worries, that is for the reply cyrille. I wasnt sure if you had used a specific model paint or something along them lines. I get all confused with different paint types and what's suitable for what surface. When it comes to paint I'm pretty useless haha.

Sorry for so many questions
felix_models
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby corwyn34 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:08 am

felix_models wrote:Aahh no worries, that is for the reply cyrille. I wasnt sure if you had used a specific model paint or something along them lines. I get all confused with different paint types and what's suitable for what surface. When it comes to paint I'm pretty useless haha.

Sorry for so many questions

No problem, Felix, if I can help !!! ;)
corwyn34
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Ghost Busters