wing assembly

How to deal with the ally skinning

wing assembly

Sponsor

Sponsor

wing assembly

Postby davebird2003 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:45 am

I am currently on part 62 of my build,in the instructions it says to leave 1mm protruding when putting the wing sections(skinsAI3 &AS3) against the frame but my skins are exactly the same size as my frame and if i do leave 1mm protruding on one side the skin will not cover all the frame,i would be very grateful for any advice on this matter!
davebird2003
Corporal
Corporal

Re: wing assembly

Postby Spellbinder99 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I just got a slightly later part (part 69)that had a printed insert stating that they had included an extra skin piece because one supplied earlier was undersize. They are referring to part AS3 in issue 62 .
They are supplying a bigger piece in a few issues time if you can wait.

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby davebird2003 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks Tony for the advice,luckily i have part 69 of the build,the last issues i received took me up to part 90 but i am only on part 62 because of delays of the 3 grandkids coming to stay and me having to give up my modelling room so they can have a bedroom and of course the demands of she who must be obeyed cuts into my modelling time but i will get there eventually!!
davebird2003
Corporal
Corporal

Postby BRUCE » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I have held back on my build like Mark and probably few others, the issues I got this week contain enough parts to skin the port wing surface, so I might make a start on completing that area first.

In the magazines they have the top part of the wing in three long pieces as being assembled first, but looking back to issue 91I think the ideal place to start would be the leading edge parts thereby you could get the join at the wing section of the top and bottom parts flush then work back.

I think the magazine order is wrong with fitting the three aluminium strips on the top of the wing rather than fitting the leading edges first.
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Sounds like a good plan Bruce.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cliff60 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:47 pm

A lot of the skin comes in A4 sheets with a template to cut them out urself. The best way to cut them out is with scissors not a knife. But make them bigger than u need as i found the templates r too small and ive now got big gaps between pieces . Keep the off cuts so u can use to fill in any gaps. Nearly all the pre cut pieces r too small as well including the new ones they sent out cause the ones they sent out earlier were too small. Ive just put the top on the wing section of the fuselage which was precut as was the side panels. Ive got a 3mm gap on both sides. So ill be using the off cuts from the big sheets to fill in the gaps. I just got my last 2 issues today. But i'm still doing the parts from issue119. I've had to make a lot of modifications due to parts not fitting which has put me behind. Ive got bits rattling around inside cause they fell of cause the stupid super glue didnt hold. But cant get them out cause all but the nose is fixed in place.
cliff60
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Skinning