Lancaster bomber

How to deal with the ally skinning

Lancaster bomber

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lancaster bomber

Postby cracker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 am

Can anyone help??, The issues are sent from the UK to Australia and i'm told the individual issues are packed in the UK, once here they are distributed by Bissett magazine. The problem i'm having is the PVC STRINGERS. In issues 2 & 3 the stringers are sent curved and not laying flat. Once issue 4 arrived to start building the left wing the stringers to be used were seperate and all lying flat, great!!, because try adding the stringers which are curved to the left wing and trying to use super glue and you will see the problem you have with curved stringers.

I have sent numerous emails requesting that the distributors in the UK send all stringers FLAT AND NOT CURVED, but alas my emails have fallen on deaf ears. Can anyone please tell me how to straighten the curved stringers as there are a lot of them at hand, i'm up to issue 15 of issue 100, and there are a lot of stringers to be used and i need them to be FLAT. ADVICE AND HELP REQUIRED

thank you
Col (cracker) harden
cracker
Cadet

Re: Lancaster bomber

Postby gazza1137 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:48 am

Hello Col,

We have had the same problem in the UK so suspect your issues for Australia have/were packed from the same batch as those for the UK. The problem if I remember lasted for 20 odd issues, but have you looked at Barry's Google Group which gives some tips on how to straighten the stringers as well as other posts on dealing with glueing them in place.

The link to the group is - http://groups.google.com/group/build-a-lancaster-bomber and Barry's post was around October last year.

Hope this helps,

Gary
gazza1137
Corporal
Corporal

Postby cracker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:55 am

Hello Gary,

nice to hear from you and i'm pleased i'm not the only one complaining about the "stringers" as i tried to tell the distributers here in the land of Aus it is very (I must not use sligthly naughty words) difficult to apply these stringers particular in the first 1-15 issues. I have tried that web site you gave me but does not respond. Do you have any tips/solutions with the stringers? or do you know anyone who is about the stage that I'm at?

Hope to hear from you, once again thanks, and good luck with your model
Col (cracker0 Harden
cracker
Cadet

Postby gazza1137 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 am

Hello Col,

That website I posted is a subscription Google Group with a simple application process contact Barry on http://groups.google.com/group/build-a- ... omber?lnk= and click "contact the owner". Barry is the group owner and moderator and a really nice bloke to boot! Barry is chronicling the build process weekly and updates weekly. He is an experienced builder and draws upon many other builders skills to get around some of the issues this build has thrown at us!

Relating to the stringer issue - this is Barry's post on the issue -

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Oct 22 2009, 11:28 pm
Subject: Straightening the plastic stringers.
To: Build a Lancaster Bomber

I have found an effective way to straighten out the plastic stringers
prior to assembling them to the various components,this is simple and
only requires a flat surface and something round such as a pencil or
as in the picture a marker pen barrell,take a stringer and place the
curved section outermost ie against the curve onto a flat surface,now
gently pull upwards and at the same time draw it through the rounded
object,you do not need much pressure on the plastic and by varying the
angle you can arrive at a straightened stringer.
If you attempt to place the curved stringers into the slots it makes
life difficult and they will not drop into the slots easily.
There is a picture of this operation in the photo section which
explains it pictorially

There have been other posts regarding the use of diluted PVA glue (50% water/ 50% PVA glue) to seal the edge of the stringer cutouts on the lite ply parts prior to using superglue to seal the stringers in places. This seems to work in making the gluing process more successful.

Hope this helps,

Gary
gazza1137
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:47 am

Barry is a member of this site too.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gazza1137 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:04 am

Mark wrote:Barry is a member of this site too.

yep, forgot about that....

Gary
gazza1137
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Skinning