Rivets

How to deal with the ally skinning

Rivets

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rivets

Postby chill » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 am

Sorry to jump ahead a bit , but having just watched the DVD supplied wth Issue 1 it shows the modellor using a pin wheel. Any ideas where to get one of these from as it looks like it fits into an Xcto knife shaft. Thought I would start saving my pennies up now so I could get one. Also I was thinking of skinning all of fthe ariframe but only gluing some sides on and leaving the other side loose so I could leave various panels of to show the detail on each side.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Re: Rivets

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Chill,

News for you and other builders regarding the pinwheel.

For subscribers they will get one in the kit of tools they will recieve. after speaking to Hachette in London they have informed me that further into the build they will probably (or more than likley, as the pinwheel is a valuable part of the build) be placing an offer sheet in the magazine for non-subscibers.

Hope this answers your question

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks James.

As you can guess I am not a subscriber - so that would be good if theres an future offer of the pin wheel.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:56 am

Same for me, I have'nt subscribed this time, I'm getting my issues from my local WH Smiths.
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Russ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I wouldnt normally Subscribe however this time i decided t give it a go
Russ
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby wurzel384 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 pm

just bought a pinwheel from whit ensign models for less than a tenner
wurzel384
Cadet

Postby chill » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 pm

any chance of a hyper link?
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby BRUCE » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm

WITH THIS ALUMINIUM SKIN BEING APPLIED OVER THE PLYWOOD FRAME I CAN SEE A WEE PROBLEM WHEN IT COMES TO PAINTING THE INTERIOR OF THE PLANE (I.E THE INTERIOR WILL HAVE TO BE PAINTED BLACK OR GREY/GREEN). I AM MORE USED TO BUILDING PLASTIC KITS, AND WONDER WHAT ANYONE THINKS IS THE BEST SOLUTION.
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:04 am

Um, good point Bruce...In the introduction for the kit there is a mention of leaving off some outer panels to be able to see inside, I would guess that you could put on the panels on the side with the openings first, paint the inside of them, then put on the panels on the other side and maybe paint that side through the openings?

Sounds a bit of a fiddle to do, hopefully Hachette have a cunning plan in mind!
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Southendnick » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Do not forget if you leave the panel off one side paint the back of the panel on the opposite side. got access to propper very expensive genuine aircraft primer its called Boeing Green and is top notch stuff...

Sadly as you can see a far far too lighter shade for use on the Lancaster...
Southendnick
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:42 pm

I had access to a green etching primer while I was in a shipyard in Korea - can't remember the name off hand, but the colour was about right. The only trouble was I couldn't ship it (very flameable) and I understand it contained a chemical that is banned in Europe. It was good stuff though. Stuck like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth. It was used to primer the cargo holds of a liquid natural gas carrier (carried 155,000 cublic metres of liquified gas and -160C) before gluing on the insulation.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 pm

You could all try a simpler method and paint the airframe as you're going along. THis not only seals the wood but means that when the time comes you can choose the panels to leave off with not many problems!

The exact shade you need for the airframe I managed to get from the Lancaster at the Lincolnshaire aviation heritage. I normally use Vallejo model colour and I matched the airframe shade to the following colour:

Vallejo Model color 70886 Green Grey

There's no reason why, at this stage of construction you shouldn't start painting while it's easy to get at!!!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:13 pm

I agree James and there is a plus when using Acrylics as opposed to enamels,that is you can use PVA adhesive on top without recourse to removal of any paint,Acrylic is a polyvinyl based finish so is compatible.
I quite like the painting as you go along it breaks it down into stages and you have the feel of progress,they do this with full sized aircraft as well during production.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:15 pm

chill wrote:Thanks James.

As you can guess I am not a subscriber - so that would be good if theres an future offer of the pin wheel.

You can easily make your own pin wheels by robbing a gear from an old clock of suitable pitch,mount this onto a spindle in any old paintbrush handle etc
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 am

True - but i wouldnt know at what intervals to put the pins in in order to get the correct spacing on the rivets.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby 9JL » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm

chill wrote:True - but i wouldnt know at what intervals to put the pins in in order to get the correct spacing on the rivets.

Something that we need to check,if anyone has access to a full sized Lancaster can they please measure the pitch of the rivets so that we can work out the correct pitch on our pinwheels please ?
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:28 pm

ooo would love to get next to a lancaster bomber.

Got lots of tape measures,
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:21 am

chill wrote:ooo would love to get next to a lancaster bomber.

Got lots of tape measures,

There is one at Duxford,Cambs,a fuselage in the Imperial War museum,a one that taxies in Lincolnshire owned by two brothers who are farmers,the Battle of Britain memorial flight aircraft,are any of those near you Chill ?
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 am

No they are not Im next to Mancheseter. Although I do see the planes at least once a year flying over.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 am

Treat yourself to a trip to Duxford,the museum is superb and they have a Lancaster for you to stand by as well.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Skinning