Colour Schemes

Colour Schemes

Sponsor

Sponsor

Colour Schemes

Postby Southendnick » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 pm

I know its still two years or so off but colour schemes...

S for Sugar is the one we are building she is at the RAF Museum at Hendon

Anyoe had thoughts about doing another aircraft, PA474 the BBMF's flyer or Just Jane a taxiing Lancaster at East Kirkby and she is one YOU can taxi in! http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides/ £200 a lot of money but what an experience there are countless other RAF airframes then there is the silver Canadian SAR aircraft... Sooooo many to choose from.
Southendnick
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Re: Colour Schemes

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm

I've been to both East Kirby and BBMF and spent the day taking lots of reference photos of the Lancasters. Although I didn't get a taxi ride I did make a donation and got a guided tour round inside the lanc which I took lots of Pictures.

Mark has copies of these photos and in time he'll put them up in a reference gallery.

The RAF wouldn't let me inside their lancaster but got quite a few shots in the Hangar. I wonder if a letter to the C.O. might overcome that???

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm

does any one no the Humbroll colour numbers for this kit or ones simuler as on the DVD they sya best to use green and they use humbrol
LOOK LOOK .... OVER THERE .... SORRY WHAT WERE WE LOOKING AT AGAIN ???
Russ
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Russ,

I'm not going to use Humbroll for my build as the colour range is IMHO not a very accurate one and I hate enamel because of the smell and also the clening takes longer and includes the use of thinners etc.

Instead I would recommend the use of Vallejo Model Color range as it is particulaly suited and colour matched to WWII stuff (and others). It is also acrylic based, has a strong pigment base and is soluable by plain old tap water which means that you can put it on neat from the bottle or thin it down with water. It has excellent coverage and because each bottle has it's own built in dropper means that you can control how much paint you use and the mixing ratio.

You have to use these paints carefully, decanting the amount you need into something like an old saucer or like me invest in a muffin or mince pie tin for mixing before painting onto your model.

As I progress into the build I will update the painting page(s) on my website giving the actual colours in the vallejo range as I match them to existing Lancasters. the link is below to the airframe page.

http://jimsmodelprojectslancasterbomber.yolasite.com/painting-the-model.php

Painting the wood of the airframe just requires 2 coats. I would recommend a 50:50 solution of the Vallejo for the first coat.

You can obtain Vallejo model colour from most good quality model shops or ebay such as the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Colour-Paint-Pick-the-Colours-you-need_W0QQitemZ270327209231QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item3ef0c1dd0f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hope this helps

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Russ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes thank you very much, what colours are you using for yours there are so many i havent a clue witch ones to use
LOOK LOOK .... OVER THERE .... SORRY WHAT WERE WE LOOKING AT AGAIN ???
Russ
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 pm

At the moment I have only used 2 colours for the airframe:

Green Grey 70886
Matt Black 70950

You will need to paint the nose section we recieved in part 1 black and the pilots section of the cockpit black as well. The navigators section of the cockpit is the grey green as is most of the rest of the airframe.

I am unsure of the upper camoflage brown and green shades yet.... but we're a long way off that yet! There's plenty of time as there's the entire airframe to deal with yet.

I think we will get a couple of Merlin Engines to put in. My father who was an air cadet during the war and occasionally helped ground crews ar RAF Lindholme near Doncaster which was an training and conversion unit on Lancasters tells me that the Merlins in the lancasters were painted black. He also got to fly in them on training flights. He also visited RAF Dunholme Near lincoln

Keep your eyes on my build. I'll be updating again soon.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby chill » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 am

I am still debating as to whether to paint the Lanc, as I might not even cover up all the intricate detials on the frame of the plane.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Southendnick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 pm

I will leave mine part barebones like on the DVD the cockpit section will be left open, as will the engine and fuel tank, already debating about extra details such as control lines fuel pipes etc:
Southendnick
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby chill » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 am

Southendnick wrote:I will leave mine part barebones like on the DVD the cockpit section will be left open, as will the engine and fuel tank, already debating about extra details such as control lines fuel pipes etc:

Braver person than me with even more details.

Think I will just build it as it is.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Southendnick » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:08 pm

The easy way to run a control line is with a bit of lighting wire, gule one end on the control surface run it through the wing ribs to the fuse run it along the floor to the pilots position. Fuel pipes are a bit of metal wire (bendable) from the fuel tank to the back of the engine.
Southendnick
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Southendnick wrote:The easy way to run a control line is with a bit of lighting wire, gule one end on the control surface run it through the wing ribs to the fuse run it along the floor to the pilots position. Fuel pipes are a bit of metal wire (bendable) from the fuel tank to the back of the engine.

I guess fuse wire would be good for this. The fine 5amp stuff for control lines, slightly thicker for fuel pipes, brake pipes, etc ? I used to buy it on cards of 3 different ratings from Woolworths !! Mind, I dont suppose me buying a card of fuse wire every few years had much impact on their demise.......
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Colour Schemes-painting the structure

Postby 9JL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 pm

After painting the wing structure it really starts to come alive,I wonder at what stage the fuel tanks will be fitted ?
Wingtips have had three coats of primer taking advantage of the sun today.

From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 9JL » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:07 pm

chill wrote:I am still debating as to whether to paint the Lanc, as I might not even cover up all the intricate detials on the frame of the plane.

Chill you could make cut away sections just like you see in those professional display models,the metal cladding could be cut back to show how the Lancaster is built and the cockpit area detail could be seen from the sides,the engine detail is also worth displaying with at least one without the cowlings.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby cliff60 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

The paint guide says humbrol 90 beige green. But its blue lol. I used revel 86 olive brown. Its about the closest match i could find. I find that acrylic paint works best on the wooden parts and enamel on the metal parts. Acrylic doesnt take very well on the skin so use enamel for that. I didnt paint the inside of the skin. 1st cause u cant see it anyway. 2nd the glue wont stick to the paint very well. I used contact adhesive on 1 part of the skin that i painted but the paint just bubbled up and the glue just would not hold. So ended up sanding all the paint off again. It holds on the acrylic paint but not enamel. But u get a very poor finish with acrylic on the skin as it tends to run and go streaky as it doesnt like the smooth surface. Its like putting water in oil. The prob i have is only 1 shop in my area sells model paints and they only do humbrol in enamel and revel in acrylic. So its very hard to match up the paint colours when i use both types of paint. They have tamiya paint but only gloss and some other paint i dont know who makes it but they havnt got any of the colours i need for the lanc. but its the only 1 that does yellow ochre for my H.M.S Victory. I bought an airbrush to paint it. But ive never used 1 before i made a terrible job and ended up using 4 pots of paint on 1 wing just to do 1 coat. I used a brush on the other wing and only used 1/4 of a pot. So gave up using the airbrush. Besides the brush was a lot faster and gave a far better finish and used a lot less paint. It also saved me on having to mask the bits i didnt want painted.
cliff60
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Painting and finishing