Help/Advice regarding sourcing back issues.

Want to talk about a particular issue ? Please put the issue number in the post title.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jm26ROB » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi,

I was recently pleased to get hold of a complete set of the Hachette Lancaster Magazine. It is my intention to build the model to give to my gran who used to work on them during the war.

The build was going well but Unfortunately i have made a complete cock up of issue 4 (cabin). One of the parts had also been cut incorrectly which didnt help so i can blame hachette a bit. Its not something i can rectify so i am in search of a back issue.

I have emailed hachette and have so far recieved no reply. I do however note that issue 4 (amongst a few others) is no longer available to order from their online shop so i dont hold out much hope there.

Cannot find a copy on Ebay either. There only appears to be one seler and he has not got this issue either.

Just wondering if anyone can think where else i could try or how frequently copies of this magazine may pop up on ebay?

As an absolute last resort i do have access to a laser so i was thinking of photographing the first sheet of the instructions (with the parts layed out flat) and scalling it up to the correct size to create the geometry but that would not be a quick job. Also we dont laser cut wood so the closest i could get to weight wise would be Titanium.

Appreciate anyones thoughts/Help.

Rob
Jm26ROB
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Help/Advice regarding sourcing back issues.

Postby chill » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi

Welcome to the board. Nice to see a new Lancaster build on the runway. Sorry to hear you are having problems getting issue 4.

I know of this site for partworks magazine back issues.

www.partworks.co.uk

I read that you have had a look on Ebay. Have you tried other countries? I got some Bismarck issues from France and Germany once over.

Although I do like your idea of machining a part from another material. I suspect it could prove a tad expensive...mmm a Lanc made from Titanium!!!

Seriously you could try a prototyping company. I only say this as they may have one of these new 3D printers that may be able to produce the part you need,

Good luck and we look forward to seeing your Lancaster.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby thomsedavi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:40 am

Hello,

I have a similar problem with issues 116 and 120 which I somehow missed. There is one seller on eBay with a lot of other issue that I have sent a message to in case he is able to source these for me, but what other websites should I try looking on? The Hachette website still has #120 in stock, but they only ship to England and Ireland and unfortunately I live in New Zealand.

Thanks,
David
thomsedavi
Cadet

Postby baby_astons » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 pm

rob, what I would suggest is a bit of model making: buy the appropriate thickness of plastic sheet and cut the missing parts (using your paper copy) from that -
plastic sheet is pretty easy to cut, you can smooth down the shape once the rough cut is made and you can bond it to the rest using CA - if there are more parts plastic glue will bond the plastic sheet...
I think this would make it cheaper and faster than any other option apart from luck striking you and you finding a good issue on the net...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby tigerace » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm

i have a few back copies off the lancaster i`ll have alook to see which issue`s i have ;)
Built Bismark! building= Tigertank , Lancaster ,1/8 Delorean, Akagi and U96
tigerace
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to Discussions on specific issues