Issue 107 - wing section skin removal

Want to talk about a particular issue ? Please put the issue number in the post title.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MBN Downunder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 am

In issue 107, at step 37, we are told to remove the skin section from the wing trailing edge that was built back in issue 32. This is later re-glued in the same position, but turned 180 degrees. This is so the rivet lines already marked on this skin will align with the rivet lines on the split flap that was skinned in the immediately preceding steps. I assume this was a design fault in the model, as the frames in the flap don't align with the frames in the wing section on the starboard side (the section with the liferaft bay). On the port side, the flap and wing section frames are aligned, so there is no problem there.

I must have done too good a job gluing the skin on, as it doesn't seem to want to come off as simply as the instructions indicate. I am loathe to get stuck in with any force, in fear of damaging the skin or wing section. I am now wondering if I really need to take the skin off?

The corresponding flap skin hasn't been cut, marked and glued yet, so it would be an easy matter to mark the rivet lines so they line up with the wing rivet lines. Obviously they won't all sit directly over the flap frames, and (in theory at least) this might be noticeable if you looked closely at the flap as finally assembled. However, I suspect this might be the correct position for the frames and rivets. The frames of the port and starboard wing sections are symmetrical, rather than identical, as the widest space between frames is located towards the inboard (fuselage) side. I suspect this is how it should be. On the other hand, the frame positions in the flaps are not symmetrical port and starboard. My guess is that the starboard flap, constructed back in issue 67, has incorrect frame positions.

So, what am I to do now? My inclination is to leave the wing skin in place and mark the flap rivet lines to match. This will make it a bit harder to drill the extra hole for the hinge rod (another design error?) and trim notches for the flap hinges, but I think this will be easier and less risky than trying to remove the wing skin.

Any comments or suggestions as to an alternative approach would be very welcome.
No signature yet - can't think of anything suitably witty. Will work on it!!!
MBN Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Issue 107 - wing section skin removal

Postby MBN Downunder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 am

More information to add to my previous post.

I looked ahead to issue 112, where the port trailing wing section is fitted into place. There, the instructions say to remove the top skin panel, repaint and re-glue turned 180 degrees. This is to align the rivets with the frames of the main inner port wing section (not yet skinned). This is "optional". No mention of the lower skin panel, which presumably stays where it is.

I retrieved my centre wing section and lined up the two trailing sections (with the inboard flaps). Now I see where the problem arises! The build to date has got the port and starboard rear inner wing sections reversed. This is clear as the frames of the starboard section (with the liferaft) line up with the frames of the port main wing, while the frames of the port section line up with the starboard wing. The widest gap between frames should be towards the outboard side, so they line up directly behind the inner engines.

The removal and replacement of a couple of skin panels is Hachette's attempted fix for this design error. However, it can't be a proper fix, as the skin for the liferaft section (upper starboard) can't be rotated and will remain with incorrect rivet alignment. Therefore I wonder if it is worth trying to make any changes at this stage?? The proper solution would be to obtain the back-issues for the two rear wing sections and re-build them from scratch, but swapping port for starboard and putting the liferaft in the new starboard wing.

This error is a big disappointment, as, up until now, I have been very happy with the accuracy of the model (except perhaps the position of the rear crew entry door!).

It would be good to hear from someone who has completed the model as to how obvious the misaligned rivet lines appear once fully assembled and painted. Is this something to be worried about?

I will have to go away and think about this some more!!!
MBN Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby MBN Downunder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:25 am

Further to my previous posts . . .
I reported this design problem to the Australian distributor of the Lancaster series, and am pleased to report that they have agree to send me (free) replacement issues to allow a rebuild of the two trailing edge sections. Knowing the problem ahead of time, it will be easy to construct each set correctly - the forward frame/spar on each set just needs to be reversed when assembled (compared with the instructions). Then, the fore/aft frames in each set will match exactly with the corresponding frames in the main wing where they will later be attached.
This requires 5 issues in total and 3 have come, with the other 2 (the earlier ones, 25 and 32) on backorder. Keeping my fingers crossed they they can be found.
MBN Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks for that gem of info. It will save a lot of heart ache when I get to that stage. I'm sure that other builders will appreciate the info as well.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Discussions on specific issues