Issue 4

Want to talk about a particular issue ? Please put the issue number in the post title.

Issue 4

Sponsor

Sponsor

Issue 4

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

With the arrival of issue 4 I begin to realise that some issues may not be as easy as others to get right. With some of the frames in this issue it is not easy to glue together so they are at 90 degrees to the base.

I followed the instruction sequence allowing each part to dry before adding the next and made sure that by using my square that they were correct and some still lean! the parts that lean slightly are correctable but it may be advisable to use a couple of offcuts cut to length and a clamp or so.

I have no doubt that Mark has a cunning plan for this issue!!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Issue 4

Postby 9JL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:44 pm

One thing that is easily corrected James is the tendancy for liteply to bend a little in a warm room,liteply which the Lancaster is built from will easily straighten up if placed under a weight overnight,however when the components are glued into place they can lean a bit as you point out,I used offcuts of ply to wedge between the formers from the first upright one,once the initial stringers are in place the whole thing has a bit of rigidity and as the model progresses then it gets easier.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm

My replacement issue 4 is now here so I can try my cunning plan to get the frames upright. I will report back and if all is well update my site.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Well.....

I have taken the bit between my teeth and started issue 4. My cunning plan as 9JL has posted is to use cut offs to help prop the frames of which I have cut hem as close to the distance between frames as I can.

Now some of the frames do have a slight warp in them but by using the off cuts, stringers and superglue that can be overcome. I have prepainted the parts on the frame and will update my site as things progress.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Discussions on specific issues