Tom's Lancaster Bomber

Threads where you can show off your build. One thread per person please, and put your name in the title.

Re: Tom's Lancaster Bomber

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby builder76 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm

Enjoying the build to date. Tom. Nice progress. 8-)

John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby casper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

looks excellent Tom :clap: love all the details
great build
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby tom1992 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am

Hi everybody!

Not been able to do much to the Lanc recently, I'ts kind of taken to the back burner for a bit while I sort some stuff out. but I've made a bot of progress none the less.

I've managed to fit the main electrical panel and it's mass of spaghetti,

I've also fitted a few minor bits here and there, a couple of many are the fire extinguisher next to the hydraulic system and the armored back tot he pilots seat.

I've managed to finish all 4 engines and propeller assemblies now which look rather good. I'm not going as nuts as Tanken and including every single cable and hose to each engine a representative will do for me! :lol:

The access door in the rear of the fuselage is next, originally I made this operational but the hinges were so weak that they kept breaking so after a while (and a few naughty words) I decided to glue it shut.

Finally on to fitting the engines. this was a little complex as most of the bits were actually bent so I've had to do a lot of work to straighten it all out (and yes! a lot more bad words!) but finally I've got one set up finished. (I've since added a lot more 'plumbing' that the photos dont show so trust me on this! ;) )

And that's it! I'll post as often as I can but I'll have to see when i can update next.
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 pm

:clap: very good.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi everyone, in a complete contrast to a previous post, I'm going to do a lot of work detailing up my engines! I came across a book in a model shop while at work which gives quite good details including pictures of the Merlin IX engines used in the lancaster and upon inspection A LOT of detail is missing from the Hachette offerings! I'm still not going to go as nuts as Tanken but I'm going to vastly improve on the standard kit.
Will post some photos to show how I get on! ;)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:33 pm

Hello Tom out of interest being a fellow Brummie which model shop was it :?: (Ian Allen)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:45 pm

steve131 wrote:Hello Tom out of interest being a fellow Brummie which model shop was it :?: (Ian Allen)

It certainly was my friend. I regularly stop there for my break when on my driving route. Always worthwhile rummaging around in the book shop and in the modelling shop upstairs. This time round I happened to notice this book on clearance 'WW2 aircraft engines, by Paul blackah. Fascinating book! There are several photos and diagrams of the Merlin XXV not IX as in my last post! My bad! :oops:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Love that shop , new building got more space than the old one but not got its character. Don't go in the second city so much now :( .Go to Mr Models in Bearwood more now 8-) .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Been to mr models a few times myself. Also a very nice shop. Bit of a mission to get to from where I live and I don't pass by it very often in the truck.
Out of interest, where abouts do you hail from in Brum? 8-)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Spent the first twenty five years of my life in Sutton Coldfield drifted through various suburbs :lol: , now a Black Country man :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Nice! :D anywhere near the living museum? Been a couple of times but still not been since I moved to Brum like 6 years ago! :lol: must organise to go again soon! 8-)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 pm

5.6 miles away :lol: Go most years for Santa trail with the children . Sometimes they close it too film Peeky Blinders , Fred Dibnah also went there.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby tom1992 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi all,
I've been saving up some photos for a nice big update for you! enjoy! ;)

I've installed 2 more control rods in the cockpit section, nothing special here.

It's also time to start skinning the main fuselage but already I've hit a problem! the instructions never told you to leave a space for the windows in the cockpit section when installing the wires so consequently, I've now got to spread them to make room! :angry-banghead:

These are the covering skins for the cockpit section, rolled to shape and painted black on the inside, and fitted in position using it's own shape for a guide.

I've also been able to finish the wireless operator/Navigators positions, plenty of fancy equipment to build here, I won't bore you with a description just enjoy the pics! ;)

whilst on the cockpit section, I've also built more of the controls for the pilots position and fitted all the seatbelts! :D

And finally, a few photos of random parts either progressions, completions or just tying up of loose ends! in no particular order.....
First up, I've finished both the tail elevators, primed and ready for install.

I've also replaced the 2 ammo tracks that I demolished while attempted to fit them! :angry-banghead: they are made using 3mm plastruct 'C' channel. painted silver. I've left them empty coz I cant be bothered tor replicate the thousands of rounds of ammunition! :oops:

I've now finished skinning both the upper and lower of the port wing, just the tips remain and the engine cowlings which will wait until later.

I've also finished both of the landing flaps, I've had to modify (greatly strengthen) the hinges as these were just tiny loops of aluminium casting which kept breaking off! :angry-banghead: so I made a 'H' shape beam and drilled a hole in it so that it has the support of the whole flap and not just the tip. works fine now! :D

And I've added more wires in various parts of the fuselage,

And finally, I've glued 4 of the 6 fuselage sections together so it now looks more like a plane!! :dance: There is just one problem... It is only now becoming apparent just how big this damn thing is!!! :o :shock: and this is without the front 2 sections and both wings! :shifty: which just leaves one question..... where the hell am I gonna put it?? :think: :think: :laughing-rolling:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Coming along very nicely, great detailing too. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Very impressive Tom. Great details.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom1992 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks guys! :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Gordonmitchell » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm

this build is great,I have been working on mine for a number of years now,I have recently went back to it only to discover that I only have one of the templates and aluminium sheets in issue 104,I am looking for a copy of the template with the wing tips on it labeled as AS12 not someones actual template if any one help,by way of trade I can offer a set of 12th scale interior drawings for the lancaster I got from BAE systems back in the 90's when I was originally going to use the ED Models 32nd scale vacform Lancaster but never got round to it,I had the drawings digitally scanned and saved to disc,they have a lot more on them than is actually included in the model so great help to anyone else building this one

cheers
Gordon
Gordonmitchell
Cadet

Previous

Return to Build Diaries