Internal photos of the Lancaster

Discussions about the reall aircraft and reference material; photos, useful web sites, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks to James who sent me a stack of photos of the Lancaster. I've added the internal shots to my web site.

http://www.lancaster.partworkmodels.co.uk/cockpit.htm

There will be more to follow in due course.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Internal photos of the Lancaster

Postby 9JL » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks to James and yourself Mark for these very useful pictures,these are going to come in really handy when we know exactly what is being supplied by Hachette internally,a bit of scratch building will enhance an already impressive project,the pictures also serve to confirm the cockpit green finish of the airframe up to the point of the cockpit area which is anti glare RDM2 paint,plus the nose section which is black as well.
We will need photographs also of the flaps where the rear of the engine nacelle comes down as well should the lowered flap option be chosen,even by a few degrees.
Barry.
From his first flying machine built in a railway arch to producing World War Two's finest bomber,A.V.Roe we salute you.
9JL
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby BRUCE » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:08 pm

The photos are very good but if you want to really see the inside of the Lancaster then you will do no better than the Flying Zone CD-ROM the Lancaster Explored. I have already mentioned this CD, there are photos of every area of the Lancaster, think there are over 1600 photos on it which are very clear, it is interactive, you can choose which area to investigate i.e. cockpit. gun turrets, bomb bay, undercarriage, bomb aimers position . I have had my copy since it came out - think it would be relaeased around 2004, and I think it will be a great help to anyone in building/detailing this monster.
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks Bruce, do you know where we can get that CD ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BRUCE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:46 am

Mark I posted a piece here on the section The real lancaster informing about the CD. http://www.flyingzonedirect.com/ is the website where you can buy direct. I see that they have released an updated version which retails at £19.95. I am surprised that no one has responded to my previous post. Maybe need to speak up a bit. Hope that is of help - regards Bruce
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:14 pm

Great - thanks Bruce. Maybe people just missed the last post - I obviously did !

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mttmwilson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks Bruce,

I've ordered the Flying Zone Disc, Not just for the model, have started to get really interested in the Lancaster so looking forward to all the info contained in the disc. I also have recently bought the Haynes Manual on the Lancaster. Have enjoyed reading so far. I expect I am doubling/tripling up on a lot of info, oh well....

Would have been nice to know how much detail will be included with the magazine. Don't want to have to wait till the end to add my own detail....

Mike.
mttmwilson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby BRUCE » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 pm

No problems lads
[i]
Found this guy who has a site/forum on his build and he has went and covered the nose section in tin foil already and has even attempted some rivets on the surface skin.

http://www.armorama.co.uk/modules.php?o ... 306&page=1

Mtm I would recommend the book Living Lancasters by Jerrod Cotter (the guy who has done the Haynes manual) which I got from Amazon a few years ago, which has some beautiful photographs. All restored Lancaster are covered in the book but special mention goes to The Australian War Museum Lancaster which is in it and they have included their Lancaster AR-G on display in an integrated multimedia film show called Striking at Night which looks amazing.

As for waiting to see the level of detail I must say that I am disappointed to see the pilot seat, think it is very simplified, and I hope that it is not a pointer to the rest of the interior. The throttle lever controls look the wrong shape as well, but we are all on this forum, building this thing to learn, improvise and help each other and to share information/knowledge.
BRUCE
Corporal
Corporal

Postby chill » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Just looked at his efforts. Have to say not impressed with the end result. I just hope the metal/surface skin we get is more 'stiffer' than foil. But having said that have to give the builder kudos for giving it a go.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Russ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:04 pm

The person wrote abou hachette sendong us out foil i thought the skin was ally
LOOK LOOK .... OVER THERE .... SORRY WHAT WERE WE LOOKING AT AGAIN ???
Russ
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Return to The real Lancaster