MX5 Eunos - Ladies car to Boy racer

Restoring a bike ? Building a Kit Car ? Do a bit of painting or crochet ?
This is the place to show off your skills here !!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby royjess » Sun May 18, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm not too sure if this comes under the 1:1 Scale Projects or should be posted under the cars section.

I acquired my MX5 Eunos in 2006. It's a 1992 J reg and I've done a lot of work on it. It's a working progress as well as I run around in it weekly... So it seems to take two steps forwards and one step back with it :angry-banghead:

Here is the photo of the exterior. For obvious reasons I've blanked out the reg..

I've also done some changes to the interior as well and I'll post some photos in the near future.

I still have a whole list of things that I'm planning to do to it. I'll post updates as they happen.

A Eunos is the Japanese import. Not too much difference from the UK spec. The only difference is the Eunos has a square numberplate as appose to a retangluar one, plus it has head rest speakers as well as air con, apart from that everything else is just like the UK one.

As you can see by the photo, I've fitted a rear spoiler and full body kit, Light up side reflectors, a new hood. I'll let you know more about what I've done to the inside in the near future. I've also put in clear indicator side lights as well as chrome clear rear lights. You may also notice the steering wheel which I've replaced myself.

It's been a reliable car, I've only broke down once in it due to a faulty radiator cap, that was nothing really and it's only ever fail its MOT once since 2006, and that was due to needing new brake discs, pads and brake pipes. Again these were nothing major. Not bad for a J reg...

You probably can just make out in the photos the read/black leather seats which I re-trim a few years ago. These photos are a few years old and the seat trims have seen better days and are needing replacing again.

Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Re: MX5 Eunos - Ladies car to Boy racer

Postby chill » Sun May 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Wow very nice

Yes this is the right section to post it under.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Mark » Mon May 19, 2014 12:26 am

Very nice :clap:

Looks like a whole barrel full of smiles :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 am

very nice, love the trim :clap: :clap:
perfect for hot summer days :auto-layrubber:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Thank you for all your kind comments :D

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Paul » Mon May 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi Roy,

It certainly must be the love of your life to spend so much time on it, and it's looking great :D :D
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby royjess » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Some interior pics.

These are not the original door cards, I've upgraded these with these steel speaker surrounds door cards with pockets.

All interior chrome has been put in by myself, I also fitted in the caddie box and clock, chrome on the heater controls and back card, the central console with drinks holder, gear stick and gaiter, handbrake and boot, chrome foot well lights are all modifications that I've done.

The white dial card and chrome was all upgraded by myself, the back card now lights up blue.

Some air vents chrome that I've added. Also the latest addition is the middle rear fog light switch, this replaced a boring standard cheap rocker switch which you can buy from a car shop. I had fitted this one back to front on purpose so that the illumination light (to show that the fog light is switched on) can be seen from the drivers seat.

The latest bit of chrome was added last month and I'm waiting to purchase some demister chrome to fit either side of this little square of chrome.

The latest addition to the car, well not an addition but a repair was the radiator. For the last couple of summers, the car seams to over heat during very hot weather. Last summer I replaced the thermostat which didn't help. Half of the radiator seams to be stone cold, so last Monday I decided to replace the radiator, whilst the rad was out, I also replaced the top and bottom hose with a nice new red one. Now waiting to take it out on a hot day with the roof down to see if it remains cold...

...but upon checking the radiator after it warms up, it is now very hot all over with no cold spots, so this is very promising.

A couple of other mod cons added which can't be seen on a photo are a lights left on warning buzzer and flash to pass, this is a little diode which allows the head lights to flip up when the main lights are flashed.

I will post more photos soon...

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Really nice additions ! They look superb, except the drinks holder. I really don't get drinks holders in cars. If I want a drink, I'll stop at the service station. I don't want coffee, fizzy pop, or anything else spilt in my car ! Chocolate is banned as well ;)

Seriously, she is one to be proud of :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:17 am

Mark wrote:Really nice additions ! They look superb, except the drinks holder. I really don't get drinks holders in cars. If I want a drink, I'll stop at the service station.

No I don't drink n' drive :laughing-rolling:

Handy for my wheelchair bound wife, (yes we do fit a wheelchair in the little sporty car!), nice to park up at the beach or some other beauty spot, roof down, nice summers day, wife can remain comfortable in the car having a drink and lunch, medication etc... with out needing for me to set up the wheelchair and wife getting transferred etc..

The center console holds more items under the armrest compare to the original one as this one don't have an ashtray. Far better than the original one. Yes those drink holders really do come in handy!

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Latest bit of bling added tday. Switch surrounds, they are chrome, but reflecting some red from the background.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:21 pm

A few years ago I fitted some white face dial cards on the dashboard. These were plasma lighted ones, which could be dimmed or change from the colour blue to green. Unfortunately, they didn't like the extreme heat of the summer and had been slowly peeling over the years and it now was time for me to replace these.

This time I went for the Lockwood make and should be longer lasting. These do not have the plasma lighting and relies on the original dashboard bulbs to illuminate.

The old white plasma dials

Half way through replacing the white dials.

My car minus it dashboard.

Warming up the engine waiting to put the needles back on in the correct positioning.

Job complete.

The job itself didn't take too long, what took the time was that I had to leave the engine running 2 x 20 minutes, once before the job to mark the positions of the needles and then again just before I refit the needles.

They look a lot better. Now waiting for it to get dark to see what they look like when lit up. Also whilst I was un-wiring the old plasma dial lights, I also took the opportunity to wire up the night time illumination on the fog switch which I fitted a couple of months ago.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 pm

As from midnight tonight, we all can remove our car Tax discs as these no longer are a legal requirement to be displayed in the UK (except North Ireland) :dance: :clap: however you still need to pay each year for your road tax :(

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:24 am

Damn ! What a pain. Hope the damage was nothing more than a scuff !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:50 pm

So the tax disc has come out and in went some more chrome for the window demisters.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:38 am

Lovely shine on her Royjess. It's amazing what wet n dry, and some elbow grease can do :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm

I took the car into Kwik-Fits to have a routine brake inspection and came a way with an estimate for over £800 worth of potential work. This included all brakes and discs, rear caliper, brake cable and brake pipes. I took the car to my local MOT garage for a second opinion as I personally couldn't see that half the work needed doing. After an inspection, they said all the pads and discs were OK, apart from one rear disc and caliper. The pipes and cable didn't need replacing. So don't trust Kwik-Fit. And I'll never be going back to them again. My wife sent them an email of complaint.

So I've ordered a new set of rear pads, discs and caliper for a fraction of the price that Kwik-Fit wanted to charge. These will be fitted in a couple of weeks.

I also order a rear boot light for the car. These were never fitted to the original car. So what I ordered is an after market kit. The instructions in German :think:

Took me about 5 minutes to fit and I should now be able to see in the boot at night without using a torch.

Boot switch and light.

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:37 pm

With the MOT a couple of weeks away, a quick check on the car revealed that 3 out of my 4 suspension springs had broken :angry-banghead:

So I've ordered some new ones alone with some new floor mats and chrome handle cups.

New Mats complete with carpet fixing srew

Door cups before the chrome

Chrome door cups fitted

Subject to the car passing the MOT and if not nothing too expensive repairs, I'm planning to fit a new steering wheel and a chrome interior mirror. The only other thing that I need to do on the interior and that is to refit the seat trim with some new leather ones, some heating seat mats. After that I'll be modifying under the bonnet with some chrome and fitting central locking

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Shame about the broken springs :( The new door handle cups make a world of difference though :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Those of you that follow me on Facebook knows that I've been having some restoration work on my car.

What was estimated to be a 2 week job has now turned into a 2 month job.

I enlisted my daughters ex's parents (Alan and Julie) to do the work.

They strip back the paint and removed my side skirt to reveal that the sill and rear wheel arch has some very major rust.

The side of the boot was repaired

As I don't do welding, I had paid a professional company to repair the rear driver side sill less than 5 years ago. As Alan stripped back the work, it was shocking to find out how they went about the repair. They had only stuck on the side skirt with body filler and they used a very thing metal, so thing that it was no thicker than that used in a can of soda to fix my sill, which is a major structural chassis. This was completely rotten and they also stuffed an old duvet cover inside the sill

The rebuild begins with welding

This is how I last saw the car today

We've been without our car for the last month and we can't wait to get her back in a months time. Fingers cross

royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:46 pm

You were lucky you didn't get broadsided Roy :o .Weld company :naughty: :naughty: . Hope you back safely on road for summer 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to 1:1 Scale Projects, Arts and Crafts