advise required

DeAg's flying scale model Spitfire.

advise required

Sponsor

Sponsor

advise required

Postby gaga » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I started building the model over 6 years ago but due to a bereavement have only just re-started building it, I hear so many negative comments that it's just as well I didn't see them earlier as I might have given up, however I have just about finished it which is quite an achievement considering its been in the loft for 5 years and still have got most of the parts, I have got to the bit where it tells you to take the extender wire (c) and fix it to the shorter wire (b) except both ends of these wires has a female connector on it, or am I wrong) this is the wire from the switch, the other thing is where the throttle wire connects onto the servo I cannot find a fitting it seems to have a grub screw to pinch the wire anybody help on both these questions?
gaga
Private
Private

Re: advise required

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Well done on finishing the model. I've heard that it can fly well, in the hands of an expert pilot. Obviously depends on the quality of the build of course.

I'm not sure what you mean in the first query. Perhaps a photo might help.

For the second it's usual to have a push rod of some sort connecting the throttle servo to the throttle. You usually have a clevis on each end of the push rod, and adjust the length by screwing them further on the pushrod. I'm not sure I would trust a grub screw. I'd be concerned that vibration might shake it loose, with dire consequences.

It might be worth taking along to a local flying club for some first hand expert advice. You would need to learn to fly on a trainer first in any case.

A clevis
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Nice one on finishing the Spitfire. Which issue are you for the cables? I have a full set of the instructions and a full parts list for each issue. I may be able to advise.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby gaga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:25 pm

the throttle push rod is a thin sprung steel rod and not the same as the rods for the elevators etc, in the instructions it seems to show a screw, rather like the arrangement you get in a 13amp plug if you see what I mean i.e a hole through which you push the rod with a screw above it which tightens it ( I may have to send a picture yet) the other problem is the wire from the external switch which has a red female connector on it to which you are supposed to attach the extender lead before connecting it to the battery except this also has a red female connector on it I know its been languishing in the loft for 5 years but I am sure I have not lost any parts, I have the complete instructions in 3 binders as delivered

anyway thanks for your help
gaga
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm

I think I know what you mean about the throttle connector. There should be a small screw that clamps the wire. As you say, a bit like the wire connectors in a 13 amp plug.

It's common of extension cables to have a male on one end, and a female on the other, but I'm not familiar with what was supplied with the DeAg Spitfire. Perhaps Chill can help, or I may be able to shed some more light if you can post a picture.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chill » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 am

I think a picture and the issue number you are referring too will help and I can check my build instructions in real time.
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby gaga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 am

I have a further problem this time with the wiring, I have included a picture to illustrate the problem, I seem to have two female red connectors one on the small extension wire and one on the battery pack how are you meant to connect these together and if the connector is incorrect where do you buy a solution?
Attachments
spitfire wiring.jpg
spitfire wiring.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
gaga
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:46 am

I think you have got the right parts there. Turn the extension piece round, then connect battery red to extension black, and the other end of the extension goes to the switch. The other cable from the switch goes to the receiver.

Have you got 2 or 3 leads coming out of the switch ? If it's three, then the third is so you can charge the battery without having to remove it from the plane.

Incidentally, arrange the switch so that you slide it backward to turn it on. The reason being, if the prop flicks up a stone during the take-off run, which is unlucky enough to hit the switch, it stays turned on. A very remote scenario, but costs nothing to do so is worth it.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gaga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 pm

looks like you are right, didn't think it would fit in, I will now try it and let you know thanks :D
gaga
Private
Private

Postby gaga » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:13 pm

sorted the wiring out and it works, the elevator, rudder,and throttle all move, just need fine tuning, now I am trying to sort out the plumbing, on the bulkhead you have the hole where the fuel tank pokes through onto which you connect the silicon tubing for the pressure and fuel to the carb the other connection on the tank is for filling I am only left with a plastic tube which fits the filler bottle this is of a larger bore so no good for this I suppose I will have to find a model shop (a bit thin on the ground round Tunbridge Wells) to buy some more, DeAgostini are a bit sparse with showing detail on their instructions a few diagrams and more close ups would have been useful you are left to make your own mind up in a lot of cases.
I am looking for another cowling, due the mucking about with moving the engine forward the original is beginning to look like a bit of lacework know where I can get one?
gaga
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:16 pm

You can find stuff on line, although it might be worth going along to a flying club. They will be able to tell you if you can get stuff locally.
Can't help with the cowling I'm afraid.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gaga » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:34 am

thanks, I have been it touch with a local club I may go along before the plane is finished.
gaga
Private
Private

Return to DeAgostini Spitfire