Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Sponsor

Sponsor

Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Spurredf on my Morris' Spitfires and having the ME 109 E4 in my stash I drqagged it out and immediately remembered why I had shoved it right at the bottom of one of the piles.

Despite the new box and artwork it is clear that they are the original moulds which are well past being junked. Considering what Airfix have put out recently with their 2 1/24th Tiffys then they should be ashamed and embarrassed by this sample and it is only that I got it on sale at half price from their website that I don't sue them under the sale of goods and supply of services act.

If someone from Airfix actually read this then Shame on Airfix for actually having these ancient kits on sale when it is blatently obvious that they CAN and HAVE done better! These may have been iconic kits in the late sixties and early seventies then it is way time that Airfix put their Tiffy Team onto these early kits and brought them kicking and screaming into the 21st century with a state of the art do over and bring them up to date to match the attention to detail and fit that have made the Tiffy kits really popular.

The ME 109 kit is warped, twisted and full of flash, some bits as thick as the kit parts themselves. There is a part missing and that is one of the tail struts. Also none of the sprues, apart from the clear canopy sprue was bagged separate and there was a host of parts which had come off the sprues and were rattling around.

I'm not bothered about the missing strut as this build will be just to get rid of it and to test Vallejo's new updated paints from their Air Warfare boxed sets.

For Steve. Parts 42 & 43 can be found in section 5 and are the mount for the oil tank which is right behind the IP panel. The mount/support would have had the flow and return pipes inside it that would have gone underneath the ammunition boxes for the 13mm MG 131 guns, through the firewall and to the oil cooler and engine respectively. This should answer your question. Note that the oil tank is not in the kit! :angry-banghead:

The DB 601 engine seemed to be painted a dark grey. While I can't find the exact colour referenced, it looks like RLM 66 so that is what I will be using.

There is not much to this kit so lets have a butchers...

on the clear sprue, you get both E-3 and E-4 canopies

Time to do a little paint comparison.

Lets look at the first colour.. RLM 65

I have both original and new versions of this colour. Both can be used.

in the photo you can clearly see the labels with the original on the left and the new one from the Luftwaffe paint set. Now at the beginning of the war RLM 65 looked like the left one, I am afraid that this photo doesn't do these two colours justice. I may try and correct this at a later date. This colour was seen on the undersurfaces of all Luftwaffe aircraft during the Polish campaign and up to and including the battle of France and the early stage of the Battle of Britain, namely the convoy air attacks in the channel area. From the beginning of August and the battle moving over southern Britain in response to feedback from particularly fighter pilots the colour became a more greyish blue as seen on the right. This colour filtered in on replacement aircraft.

Both colours are available in the range, 71008 has lost the RLM65 number and just goes under the Federal (FS) number which it is!

There would be variances for the colour and if you want a more bluish tone then go with the first one. The second is Chipset accurate.

RLM 70 is one of the major camouflage colours and was used on bombers and transport aircraft throughout the war. Originally Vallejo used the closest FS number for this and a lot of their German range, but since the overhaul the colours have changed but the Vallejo number has not.

Old and new, Left and right. The new chipset accurate has a deeper and more vibrant greenish hue than the old one. Same Vallejo number and the label has lost the FS plus RAL numbers

RLM 71

Again, another main camouflage colour.

Vallejo number not changed, but again it is a more deeper vibrant hue and the label has lost the FS number.

At the start of the war all aircraft were 70/71/65. During the battle of Britain the fighters changed to RLM 02/71/65 and experimented with mottling on the sides.

I think, that as I have not been able to get the new RLM02 then I will go with the change over period with the new paints I have. My ME 109 E-4 which came in right in the middle of the battle and around the fighter colour change with have upper surfaces of the new RLM 70/71 and the paler lower RLM 65 with the cockpit and interior surfaces being the old RLM 02 I have in.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Postby steve131 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm

:D Thanks Snaps your a legend ,been banging my head :angry-banghead: for ages as to what the mount was . Brought back same memories to me about box contents off sprues and warped . Think you should air your concerns at Telford .My Tiffy had warped wing spars and Hispanos that needed replacing so quality can still be an issue . Great paint lesson so far ,are you doing a yellow nose and pilot if so what you using (yellow not my fave to use ) and handy to know pilot colours.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 pm

No pilot for me as I am not good at figures! but they would have been wearing Luftwaffe uniform and I think that the colours are in the model air/color range.

The Yellow colour - RLM 04 Yellow is referenced in the Vallejo model air as 71.078.

Luftwaffe uniform blue in the model color range is 70816/ In Model Air is 71.005. Watch the battle of Britain movie. Those uniforms are accurate and will give you good reference material.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

Got to admit figure painting not my best skill ,all my fly boys look ill ,just cant get a good flesh tone :angry-banghead: from what ive seen on net most good figure painters use oil .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 am

Cant wait to watch this one develop! I'm aiming to get my stashed Stuka and 109 out of the cupboards after the Spitfires and Hurricanes are done. I know the old kits are lacking - (a lot!) - But I'm very guilty of still loving them (the Mossie was the first build of the new generation Airfix kits I've been able to do)...I had the BoB on the TV last Saturday morning - 'Aces High' blaring over the speakers......(before the wife and kids woke up and made me go to my room, he he :laughing-rolling: )
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Well... another update!

I intend to try and get through this quickly. There's not much really to these kits. They could be quite happily put together in a day... but it is the painting that slows things down.

Despite this being the worst kit I have built in ages, as defined by warping, flash and the obvious age of the moulds, lack of detail etc I must admit to actually enjoying it a little as a retro kit of my youth when modelling was a real seat of the pants hobby and Airfix dominated the market.

What makes it look better is the paint and I am really doing this to test out the new Vallejo paints as much as just building it to get rid of it. Vallejo have recently changed the formulae of their Model Air I believe as the new paints I am using seem to be slightly less thicker and flow through the airbrush and lay better on the plastic. I am using my new Stylnrez grey primer which is better than the Vallejo I have at the moment. It seems to be a bit thinner, flows better and covers well and it may be possible to sand it too, but with micro fine grit of 4000 and abover, but gently.

Here's some photos of my progress.

Engine

Engine primed and then painted with RLM 66. Partly built cockpit in RLM 02 in background already in starboard fuselage. Still parts to add and detail painting to both

Propeller primed and the blades painted RLM 70. Wooden blades were painted RLM 70 while metal ones were RLM 71.

RLM 04 added to the boss parts. These are now ready for painting the metal parts after masking.

Dry fit. Once the metal parts are done and the decals added to the blades and then given as matt clear coat the prop should look good!

Once the detail painting on the engine is done and the final assembly finished I am debating giving the engine an all over light sheen finish with Alclad Klear Kote Light Sheen. Comments welcome!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Great work ,paint really brings it alive .Excellent work with the yellow ,think the engine coat good idea .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Good work, looking forward to what can be achieved without using aftermarket parts.
Cheers
Les
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm intrigued with that cockpit colour. I didn't know that was what colour they used. ... :think:
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Up to mid-late 1941 the cockpit colour was RLM 02. My supplier didn't have the new version in stock so I am using the one I have already. I will get the new colour and compare.

RLM 02 was the primer colour for the Luftwaffe and it was used on every aircraft, including actual camouflage for late BoB fighters that had RLM 02 as part of the upper surface splinter camouflage. Prototypes were also given an all over coat of this colour.

The change in colours in mid-late 1941 saw the interior colour change to RLM 66 for all aircraft, although bombers and transport aircraft remained RLM 70/71/65, maritime remained 72/73/65 and only the Fighter force had change of schemes.

When you start delving into colours and schemes you can see why Luftwaffe fighter subjects are always popular builds.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Coming along nicely Snapdragon :D .

John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Morris » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 pm

snapdragon wrote:Up to mid-late 1941 the cockpit colour was RLM 02. My supplier didn't have the new version in stock so I am using the one I have already. I will get the new colour and compare.

RLM 02 was the primer colour for the Luftwaffe and it was used on every aircraft, including actual camouflage for late BoB fighters that had RLM 02 as part of the upper surface splinter camouflage. Prototypes were also given an all over coat of this colour.

The change in colours in mid-late 1941 saw the interior colour change to RLM 66 for all aircraft, although bombers and transport aircraft remained RLM 70/71/65, maritime remained 72/73/65 and only the Fighter force had change of schemes.

When you start delving into colours and schemes you can see why Luftwaffe fighter subjects are always popular builds.

Thanks for that - I didn't know - will file this info.....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Here's another update.

The engine is finished and a test installation and dry fit took place. it showed up just how warped the fuselage sides are.

There's going to be lots of masking tape used when those sides go together!

I have also been busy putting the rest of the fuselage interior parts together as well as most of the rest of the kit. Yesterday was a priming day and I left the parts overnight to cure. The plastic in this kit really looks like the original 70's styrene which is quite soft.

This morning I sprayed most of the RLM 65 on the lower surfaces of parts and they are curing. his is prior to masking so I can paint the interior of wheels wells etc RLM 02 and not get any overspray.

When you start with this kit you see the 70's huge panel recesses, rivets etc. Under paint they come alive and you see some very nice detailing for 1972 and a kit that really does need a complete do-over comes alive. If Airfix took this and re-did the entire thing to Tiffy standards then it would be absolutely fabulous and would grace many a competition table,

You can see that the RLM 65 paint really makes things jump. When I look at the decal sheet there are no swastikas included at all and only one aircraft, but some nice stencilling. Maybe then I might just look for some AM decals to finish this off.... the only AM parts that I would consider as they will be cheap (probably)!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi James, coming along very nicely, if I may ask a question what do you use white sprit for ?
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Morris » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:23 pm

As you said earlier, those Vallejo Luftwaffe colours are coming out good - I know the build thread I'll use when I dig mine out of the stash.....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby royjess » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Doing some great work there James. Looking good :clap: :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 pm

White spirit is used for paints that are not enamel or Acrylic. It also start BBQ's and cleans the bench. the smell also keeps flying midges, moths and my Nephew out of the room!

I originally thought that I could use that large tub of white spirit as an all purpose cleaner for both Vallejo and AK paints. It won't touch them! I tried it in my airbrush after a paint session and it did absolutely nothing. No cleaning or anything.

So If I have to use any Alclad (perish the thought now!) Then that is the cleaner I will use as it is lacquer that melts my models if I get anything wrong!

Vallejo's Metal Color and Ak's Xtreme Metal both respond to AK's Xtreme cleaner as does Vallejo's Model Air range. Xtreme Metal and Metal Color have replaced Alclad.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:58 pm

Great work Snapdragons ,dug out my 109 yesterday after seeing your blog .Funny how we all have a soft spot for these old kits.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Those wanting to paint Luftwaffe colours in the genuine chipset paints IMHO should use these sets:

71.044 Grey RLM02
71.055 Black Grey RLM66
71.101 Light Blue RLM78
71.255 Light Blue RLM65
71.256 Green RLM73
71.263 Green RLM72
71.265 Olive Green RLM80
71.278 Sand Yellow RLM79

This set takes into account the Maritime and African theatres. There will be crossovers with sets, so it may be more cost effective to purchase a set and then add as singles, However more than one bottle of a colour could be useful.

There are colours which are not included in the sets.

71.015 Dark Green RLM71
71.021 Black Geen RLM70
71.042 Dark Brown RLM61
71.044 Grey RLM02
71.078 Yellow RLM04
71.104 Green RLM62
71.255Light Blue RLM65
71.260 Light Grey RLM63

This set will take you through pre-war and the Spanish Civil War Condor Legion through Poland, Blitzkreig in France and the Battle Of Britain.

71.011 Dark Green RLM83
71.022 Light Green RLM82
71.055 Black Grey RLM66
71.103 Grey Blue RLM84
71.257 Light Blue RLM76
71.258 Grey Green RLM74
71.259 Grey Violet RLM75
71.264 Brown Violet RLM81

This set will take you through from 1941 to the end of the war and includes night fighters.

My recommendation is to buy the last two sets as there are no crossovers and then add the missing colours from the Maritime/Med set. Adding Black, white metals as needed and one or two other colours (red, blue etc) and you should end up with a set of Luftwaffe colours that should take in every theatre, change and type.

Note that despite the allied bombing campaign, disruption and lack of materiel for paint manufacture, the colours for all arms only differed from the chipset by +/-3% which is really good going!

Most of the colours you have above you would only see on fighters. Towards the end of the war when the Luftwaffe was operating off roads and motorways etc. paint regulations were relaxed considerably and aircraft were painted to match the ground environment on the upper surfaces where they were operating using the RLM numbers above and also matching allied paint schemes using the RLM paints. This was to avoid ground attacks.

Depending on needs here’s what’s missing and usage

71.063 RLM01 Silver
71.106 RLM 05 Ivory – early glider colour
71.001 RLM 21 White - Markings / winter camouflage
71.057 RLM 22 Black – Markings / Early war night camouflage
71.003 RLM 23 Red - Markings
71.266 RLM 24 Dark Blue - Markings
71.267 RLM 25 Light Green - Markings
71.105 RLM 26 Brown - Color for insignia and markings (1936)
71.123 RLM 42 Dark Grey - Acid proofing around battery storage areas
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Time for a build update.

Lots has gone on and there as been much :angry-banghead: ImageImage

Progress has been made though.

Here's the latest pictures.

RLM 71 paint applied to wings and horizontal stabilisers. The aircraft spine will be done later.

After leaving for 24 hours to cure before masking, splinter marking were marked and masked. To avoid overspray and spatter the entire wing was masked.

RLM 70 paint applied. Masking was removed almost immediately afterwards... the airbrush was cleaned first!

Not quite the effect I was after on the port wing, but it will do. This isn't a show piece, it's a test of the new formulae and updated colours from Vallejo and just to get rid of a horrible kit!

The engine panels will go on next, and they'll be glued in place due to warping and fit issues... which is rife with this kit! I am tempted to go back and paint the prop boss RLM 71....

you can see clearly from the restored 109E and the 1940 pic that the prop boss was RLM 71.

Comments welcome.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight