HKM Do 335 B6 - Telford Build

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:02 pm

This arrived at my door and I have been waiting for Eduard etc to catch up with some nice etch etc.

However, with this being displayed on the HKM stand at Telford this year I have to more or less do an OOB build.

However I have gained permission to just play around a little, so I am adding metal barrels and a nightfighter "What If" scheme. I did want to add some HGW seatbelts but it takes around 2 weeks from purchase to delivery and I don't really have the time. There are some etched stuff in the box, but I would rather leave them out. It will probably be not noticeable as people won't get close. It's the exterior that they will be looking at.

First of all, for those looking at getting and building this.... weights are provided that hide in the engine and under the nose gun platform. Also I have found a couple of missing bits in the instructions reguarding the exterior drop tanks and radar wing antennae.

Here's the holes to open for the drop tanks and radar stuff. both sides, and for the radar, top and bottom wing halves.

Job's a good one!

Here's another little puzzle solved.

Neither the boss at HKM and myself could reason out why this hole should be opened so don't bother!

Plenty of assembly and painting has already been done and I am working faster than I normally do!

Now, There was only 1 prototype ever build ot this variant and it was under French supervision after WWII and decals are provided for this. I am, however building what would be the production variant.

dry fitted into the fuselage parts with the bay sides added.

That's all for now. More soon!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: HKM Do 335 B6 - Telford Build

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Nice start James. Good idea doing an OOB build. It's too easy to get bogged down with aftermarket details. These days I tend to be selective with what I add, and only add parts that really improve the kit. I've given up adding details for the sake of it (where the kit part is just as good), or ones that can't be seen.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Great work so far , you can get a job at Dornier with your experience building these :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Great work, looking forward to seeing it in the "flesh"
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks guys.

I continue with my 'canter' through this. The majority of the time is painting and that slows you down as you need to let things cure properly.

Here's the flameguards

I wanted a darkish used look which will be slightly at odds to the brand new "What if" paint job and it's time to get creative so....

A matt primer coat of grey followed by AK Xtreme metal Bronze.

Once cured, a very gentle whistle over with Xtreme metal Metallic Smoke. Not enough to change the base colour, but tnough to see a difference.

They are quite dark in reality... it's the camera! Now all that is needed is a coat of clear matt to knock all the shine off.

The rear engine is painted with AK blue black... actually one of their Japanese paints for a zero cowling as the anti-glare, but it matches the DB paint colour for the engines better than a standard black. Also, all 4 of the exhaust flame hiders, waiting for their clear matt coat.

loads of parts that have been primed on one of both sides (depending on colour) and are just drying!

Front and rear props. Primed, and painted, dry fitted together for the photo and waiting for their matt clear coat. Colours... Blades RLM 70, nose cone, RLM 22 & RLM 24.

Again it is the light in my workroom that's just putting the colours off. I am working under half natural light backed up with a large daylight flourescent tube. My big window faces out onto some gren trees which cast a green light into the room!

It is at this stage where I will problably do the exterior paint job annd then do any patches once it comes together.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Another update.

I was going to do a very detailed blotchy hard line night camo of RLM 75/76 and after spending most of a day drawing squiggly blotches onto a sheet of Tamiya masking tape and dreading cutting them out I had a moment of inspiration.... What if... Hard line night splinter camo! Got to be easier and quicker!

With the upper surface painted overall with RLM 75 the splinter pattern was put on

then the RLM 76 overall and the masking removed.

It is much easier done now so lines can be matched to parts that will be open and they don't look out of place.

detail painting to the exhaust surround with metallic smoke

minor patching needed then time to put a matt clear coat over so I can happily mask and do the interior

Matt clear coat put over flame dampers. It knocks all the shine off, protects the paint and looks quite good in real life!

I will do the same technique with the exhausts, but with copper and burnt metal.

quite a few more parts done. Some given stencil decalling and all given a matt clear coat. These will be ready for the insides priming and painting later. Masking the eexterior will be done.

It's not the putting together that takes the time.... it's the (I must not use sligthly naughty words) painting!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Great work :clap: Love your white and red work 8-) .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:36 pm

This is awesome - watching it, watching it.....
Morris

Posted 'Phase 4' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
Finished 1/35 Ford Mutt Jeep
Morris
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks for your support guys.

Time for another update.

Things progress and I start with the exhausts and to start with an all over copper.

More a little later.

Canopies are masked with tape and painted. I cut the masks myself with a new blade.

Dry fit over the radar operator. The glass needs cleaning and there are still some parts to add before fitting.

Dry fit of the cannon bay and nose weight part. the major one is already in the engine.

Cockpit painted and in place.

Back to the exhaust pipes. The copper colour has been toned down by gentle application of both burnt metal and metallic smoke, followed by a coat of clear matt to knock off the shine and make them look used.

Inside of wheelwells, undercart,bomb bay etc primed with stylenrez metal primer.

Xtreme metal polished aluminium applied in the hope that there would be a bit of bright reflection.... but it didn't happen!!! :angry-banghead:

Time to do some work on the undercart. I needed hi reflectifity on the schock absorber and so I went back to basics after the failure with the interior parts. The area was primed with metal primer and then gloss black base was applied.

Once cured, stainless steel was sprayed to full depth over that.

Here we are. Not sure if the camera captured it correctly, but I just have to put a coat of shine enhancer over this as a protective coat and then I can mask and paint the rest RLM 02

Dry fit of rear engine. still parts to add before fixing!

Next time things start to come together and it will look like an aircraft.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Brilliant job on the canopy masking, do you have time to eat and drink? :laughing-rolling:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 am

That's for wimps! :laughing-rolling:

Usually I take my time and build when I feel like it. With 3 builds before November I am spending any available time at the bench. But, like all builds it is the painting that takes the time up!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Suddenly things come together.

The wings were the first things put together and all the small stuff, engines, cockpit interior etc take the time in painting. It starts to come together and when the fuselage goes together then things suddenly look different. a pile of parts become an aircraft!

Wings dry fitted. top cover dry fitted. You get the size now of this beast. The card on the bench is A3 in size!

I think that time might be against me but all of a sudden things come together. Now is the time to put the wings on and look closely at the exterior paint job and do any repairs, patching and fix any wonky lines Also the decals will be put on and I think that the two tail fins will receive a RLM 23 Red ID stripe on the very top and bottom. This will match the prop boss and also I will maybe do the front of the cowling the same.

What it has come down to now is the undercard, covers, bomb bay hatch, decals finalising paint job, radar antennae and other sundries. What a gallop through!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Great work Snaps :clap: 8-) Think a trip to the US to see the original be a cool idea.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 pm

It would be nice to do a complete rebuild on the real one back to airworthy status, the same with the Shinden they have.

I am sure that they would say that they are too valuable to do that, I would say that they are unique designs, part of flight history and should be in the sky where we should be able to see them... Not slowly rusting away in storage until there's nothing left!

Maybe a proposal of a historic museum flight that takes in aircraft and unique designs from all over the world and put them back in the air!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Here's another update.

Normally for national insignia I use masks and paint. However, I don't have German ones in at the moment and it takes about 2 weeks to get them so I just have to use the kit decals.

Wings done and a clear matt coat over to protect them and dampen the decal shine.

Now the main fuselage is together it is time to correct some wonky lines!

overspray needs fixing!

Much better

Undercart ready for painting etc.

The national insignia needs splitting over the rear engine access panels. Normally I would use masks and paint for this, but not having any it's decals, a really sharp knife and prayers!

door taped in place. Both side will be done as I want the door panels in the open position.

Decal applied. a brand new scalpel blade was used to cut the decal on the lower edge of the panel.

Centre cut out.

There is some tearage of the decal, but once it is dry and has a protective matt coat which will stop it from coming off, there will be some masking done and corrective black paint.

The other side didn't go as well. Half the decal went missing. It was found stuck to my wrist and applied.

Once again, a clear matt coat followed by some masking and black paint to correct.

The top has been put on. I did have some fit issues, but I think that ther might have been some part shrinkage in the mould! It wenty on in the end. There are gaps, but paint will hide those.

Wings on. It's startimg to look like an aircraft!

That's all for now!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Really getting into that multi-splintered camo, SD...
Morris

Posted 'Phase 4' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
Finished 1/35 Ford Mutt Jeep
Morris
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:44 am

Great work ,nice rescue. Are you going to make the Telford deadline :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:58 am

Since my last post there has been a big change too with the undercart added.

I think that I can make the deadline. The mossie is not as complicated a build and should be much quicker as it is an all over blue exterior. It is the "what if?" Splinter camo that has taken the time.

I am expecting to finish this in the next couple of days. The Shinden might have to wait!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft and space flight