74 Squadron RAF tribute. "The Flying Tigers"

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: 74 Squadron RAF tribute. "The Flying Tigers"

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:24 am

They've only missed the carrier film by a country mile :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 am

Well, it allays my fears of being able to see the carrier film on the canopy :laughing-rolling: Might make getting the decal off the sheet a bit of a challenge.

Well done Mark.

Anyone have a bright suggestion for reproducing it? The effect, not the decal. If you look at Hawks, it's a pretty visible feature of the canopy.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:29 am

Can you get some thin line dry rub down transfers ? Mind, it would be a bit tedious making that out of straight lines.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 am

No kidding :angry-banghead:

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 pm

You could complain to revel about the quality of the decals. It is pretty much clear that there's been a problem somewhere!

Would it be possible to mask and spray the canopy? Might be a fiddly job, other than that you might be stuck with those decals.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:38 am

It look like the grey is out of kilter on other decals as well. 16, 23, 85, etc

Perhaps it is a 1 off fault ? Worth looking for reviews on the kit to see if there are clear pictures of the decal sheet ? Certainly worth an email to Revell !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:01 am

I have a set of maintenance markings from Xtradecal I'll be using, as well as the new Xtradecal squadron markings, so I shouldn't need to rely on the Revell set too much.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Ready for decals. Had a bit of a :angry-banghead: moment when I was doing the tail fin. I didn't mask far enough away and got some overspray on the fuselage. :roll:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Well, I promised some interesting snippets on 74 squadron through this thread. Here's the first.

Flight Lieutenant (later Squadron Leader) Adolph "Sailor" Malan was a flight commander of 74 squadron at the beginning of World War 2 and went on to command it during the Battle of Britain. He was the top-scoring ace of the battle. More of him anon, but here is a recording of him extolling the virtues of cannon-armed Spitfires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4I5MpMj84A

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Almost finished. There are a couple of decals to go on the canopy (not those heating elements :laughing-rolling: ) and I have to fit the undercarriage and a few tiny parts. As predicted, the canopy was the worst bit. In order to make it fit, I had to use a fair amount of filler where it meets the edge of the cockpit and it was quite difficult to make it come to the right profile.

The grey areas have been sprayed with satin varnish and the tailplane with gloss. I originally tried Xtracylix gloss, but it came out matt :o , so I overcoated it with Klear.

Once I've done the last few bits, I'll replace these photos, but I'm keen to start the next project.

For a simple kit, this has been quite a fun starter to this project. It did have a few issues, but nothing too insurmountable.

Most important of all, this is the FIRST kit I have actually completed in 35 years! :o Back then, I didn't have airbrushes, varnishes, fillers, PE, acrylic paints and all the other goodies that we take for granted these days, so overall, I'm reasonably pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but I'm getting there. :clap:

One thing I do have a problem with - dogs and dust :angry-banghead: . It's almost impossible to eliminate all the dust the little bleeders put into the atmosphere, so I'll always have a problem getting a really good finish on a model. Hey ho :whistle:

The Hawk T1 was the last aircraft used by 74 Sqn. They disbanded again on 22nd September 2000, probably for the last time. :(
Last edited by Gundog on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby steve131 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:15 pm

:clap: Great work i await the rest of the squadron. I used to use an old vinyl record blow brush on my models, but you say its in atmosphere, Only thing think of is Dyson Dog. K awarded for for good work :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:34 pm

steve131 wrote::clap: Great work i await the rest of the squadron. I used to use an old vinyl record blow brush on my models, but you say its in atmosphere, Only thing think of is Dyson Dog. K awarded for for good work :clap:

Thanks for the k Steve. I have a Dyson Dog. The nozzle is too small to suck up spaniels :laughing-rolling:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Next up, the Mighty Phantom.

74 Squadron was the first to be equipped with Lightnings, in 1959, but in 1971, after a tour to Singapore, the squadron handed its aircraft over to 56 squadron and disbanded. Following the Falklands war, a squadron of Phantoms was based at Port Stanley (later Mount Pleasant) and the RAF found itself under strength for home defence. The Tornado ADV (F2) had been due in service by this time, but the avionics were proving to be a problem. A quick trip out to the Davis-Monthan boneyard revealed a large number of surplus F-4J Phantoms, recently decommissioned in favour of the F/A-18 Hornet. 15 were purchased and hastily repainted in something approaching RAF barley grey, but actually nothing like it. 74 Sqn. re-formed at RAF Wattisham on December 31st 1984 and took possession of these new aircraft, designated F-4J (UK), sharing the base with the FGR2-equipped 56 Sqn.

74 Sqn. operated these aircraft until the early 1990's, when they were replaced with spare FGR2's released from RAF Germany, even though the latter aircraft were rather more tired than the ones they replaced.

Again, I'm not going to put up a box review. You can find one here. http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 0306.shtml

For this build, I have the Eduard Big Ed set and some Yellowhammer decals. The example I will be modelling is an aircraft that participated in the 1988 NATO Tigermeet. Apparently, the ground crew were jealous of some of the artwork displayed by 141 TFS USAF on their F-15Es, so overnight they painted this rather catching tiger, eating a Soviet red star!

The Big Ed set has seatbelts, cockpit interior, masks (including "special areas" - not quite sure what they are), exterior, RBF tags, placards, exhaust details and maintenance stencils. Altogether, a pretty comprehensive set. As the kit is supplied with metal undercarriage, there's probably no point in going for a SAC set. Likewise, the ejector seats are fairly accurate and well moulded. Interestingly, the seats were not changed to UK-spec Martin-Bakers when the aircraft were imported. The upshot was that 74 Sqn. had to use USN-issue g-suits, helmets and survival equipment. Doubtless, knowing the MoD's history of procurement, these cost almost as much as the replacement seats would have.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:44 pm

It's a wee bit bigger than the Hawk! :o

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby farrabass » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:12 pm

The Hawk looks very good!! have a "K" for that.. The Phantom looks to be an interesting kit, it has one of those shapes that I cant decide if I like it or not but can help admiring the design values that went into it, too big and heavy as a fighter and not enough range as a useful bomber? I shall certainly be keeping an eye on how this progresses though.
Best wishes, Steve..
farrabass
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Gundog » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:28 pm

Yeah, it took me a while to decide whether I liked the shape, but I've come out on the side of the :angelic-sunshine: :angelic-sunshine: now.

You have to remember that the Phantom was designed at a time when close-quarters dogfighting was expected to be a thing of the past. In the era of the fast jet, kills would be made only by missiles fired from over the horizon. Air combat manoeuvering was less important than the ability to fire and flee.

Thanks for the k Steve.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:00 pm

Unusually, you don't start with the office on this kit. That monster upper fuselage moulding (no midline seam to fill :dance: ) has the air intakes, afterburner cans and exhaust deflectors added first, albeit the latter part is a temporary fitting with a screw.

First up, a few ejector pin marks to fill

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:47 am

All the air trunking to the intakes has now had the ejector pin marks filled and a coat of primer added. This is a dry fit of the air intake.

I now have a dilemma. How far in do I paint the external colour?

The reference photos I have usually show the intakes with FOD guards in place, so it's hard to judge. There's a suggestion of white paint just forward of the FOD guard on one picture of a F-4J(UK), which means I'm going to go with external colour as far as the hinge. I also have to work out how I'm going to fill seams that are 3 or 4 inches down a tube! :think:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:28 pm

I was looking for some reference for the J79 engines and what colours the various visible parts should be and I came across this. A few unhinged Canucks with a fully-functional J79 on a test bed throttling it up to full reheat. As he says at the beginning, the camera microphone is completely overwhelmed by the sound, so you never get to actually hear how loud it is on the video. What you do see is the camera being almost shaken to bits by sound waves alone! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SH5953iQ6w

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Getting the exterior colour right is proving a challenge. The Vallejo barley grey is too dark, so I tried lightening it, then adding a little prussian blue to get the "odd" colour of the 74 sqn. F-4Js. After going a bit too blue and adding a few drops of yellow to neutralise it, I've ended up with something that's still a bit too dark, but has the right hue. I'll try adding some more white. The results are shown L to R below.

The RAF barley grey seems awfully light. Does anyone know if it was prone to fading in UV?

Gundog
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight