Gundog's Banff Strike Wing Mosquito FBVI

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Gundog's Banff Strike Wing Mosquito FBVI

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Gundog » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:14 pm

I already have some. Wouldn't the Mig zinc chromate be more accurate?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:49 pm

As a former warbird owner you move in circles that give you access to lots of information.

I managed to get scrapings of Zinc Chromate Green and Interior green from a restoration project. These Samples were duly tested by the son of one of my dads golfing buddies who works in the paint industry who produced a modern non-toxic exact colour match with RGB codes. I sent these to my Vallejo contact and the colours in their model air range are 100% accurate for these two. You're not going to get any closer than that!

71.094 Zinc Chromate Green
71.010 Interior green.

If you wish to do European Theatre day colours they are Olive Drab/Neutral grey.

Vallejo primer 608
71.047 USA Grey

For a black P-61, It may seem strange but I would use either Vallejo NATO Black 71.251 or AK interactive AK2066 Q1 Anti-Glare Blue-Black from their IJN set (see my IJN colours post in the reviews section) They could be better than just normal black.

I would recommend here to get whatever you need at a good price rather than shop price in Milton Keynes. It's my go to place for paints etc. When it come to kits it's EBAY or Halifax Modellers World.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:11 am

Fantastic start Gundog!
Lovely blend of etch and kit parts in the office. :clap:
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:19 pm

A wee update. Not a lot of progress, but a lot of work!

The cockpit is now finished (well, this bit of it, anyway). I made the flares from some styrene rod, then painted them khaki, with colour-coded ends. I don't know why the fire extinguisher is copper. The Airfix 1/24 kit was the same. Surely fire extinguishers are red? I tried using the Eduard seatbelts, but they were REALLY fiddly and the carpet monster was hungry again. Not having the HGW belts, I resorted to the ones supplied with the kit, which are actually quite good and have the advantage that there are dedicated attachment points for them.

And so, on to the cockpit walls. This is the progress so far....

Port side

The horrible mark just forward and below the throttle controls is where the compass was. When dry-fitting the cockpit to the fuselage, I discovered that it gets in the way of the instrument panel, so the mounting peg has been trimmed a bit, so the compass can move aft a fraction.

There's a glaring omission from this kit. There are no control cables running from the throttle/propeller pitch controls.On the Airfix kit, these were moulded as one part with the control box. The cables are fitted to a rigid framework, so I'm scratch-building one. More on that later. The eagle-eyed amongst you might see a HGW wet decal behind the throttle controls.

Starboard side

Another omission :oops: , not missed by Airfix. 3 HT cables leave the fuse box for the fuel control panel. One is supposed to loop down under the panel and head for the instrument panel. It's not there. Likewise, there are no cables heading aft from the fuse box or forward from the fuel control panel. Morrigan will be pleased to know that these will be rectified with fuse wire :D . I've already drilled the holes. The problem with some of these is that Tamiya have made the uppermost part of the cockpit, on which the radios and Gee receiver sit, part of the wing spars. Consequently, the wires can't be cut to length until the fuselage and wings are married up, by which time the fuselage halves will have been joined, making the wires almost certainly unreachable! :angry-banghead:

Thanks for looking in. More anon.

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:39 am

I've started work on the engines. They're a joy to build. There are no major gaps at all. Using Tamiya extra thin cement round the seams just closes any small gaps up. I'm not going to go through the build in full detail. There's no point in replicating every minutia of Snap's build diary!

I didn't have any AK jet exhaust, which Snap used on his engines, so after a little playing around, I used a 15:1 mix of Tamiya semi-gloss black and chrome silver. Here's the result. The supercharger is just push-fitted for now.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby steve131 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Nice looking Merlin :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:53 pm

excellent work on the cockpit Gundog :clap: :clap: :)
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Gundog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks guys.

Nose guns on the way :D

I haven't had an answer from MDC on whether the rockets are suitable :angry-banghead: , so I'm going to take a punt and order them anyway. AP or HE warheads, do you think :?:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Nose guns available now?

Have to wait while Thursday for me!

Excellent start to the Engine Gundog :clap:

As the Banff Strike wing was mostly anti-shipping I would go for the AP ones. The standard HE or SAP rockets used by tiffies and Mossies supporting ground forces would probably not do much to ships hulls, but the AP ones would penetrate and cause damage.

Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:32 pm

That's really useful thanks James. The decals I have are a 404 Sqn aircraft, so I'll install the drop tanks and two pairs of rails, as described in the reference. Where did you find it?

The staggered rocket installation (2 to a rail) looks like a challenge!

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Google can be a powerful tool for research. It's amazing what comes up with the right search words :D

I would, however, post on britmodeller or finescale forums asking if anyone has more info or good diagrams which you can use to recreate the late war 404 Sqn rails & guards etc. As you can see from the photos, not all aircraft had the guard rails. There tends to be lots of knowledgeable and well informed builders on there.

You know.... Anoracks! :laughing-rolling:

At this moment I'm concentrating on my patriot battery and radar until I can get the nose guns from eduard into my grubby paws and then it's full steam ahead with the Mossie.

Which reminds me... Must put up the photos I've taken! :doh:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Thu May 05, 2016 11:47 am

Engines completed! Just a wee bit of touching up to be done to some of the paintwork.

And in their nacelles

Work has already started on the wing spar section. I'll have to slow down a bit here, or find something else to do, while I wait for my rockets to arrive.

Thanks for looking in.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby number1 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:40 pm

Nice work on the engines, looking forward to the rest of the build.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Thu May 05, 2016 6:41 pm

I've had an email from Bob at MDC. Although he hasn't managed to put together a dedicated rocket set for the Tamiya Mossie, he has got as far as doing the rails, so he's put some in my order. Nice chap! :D

Let's hope the one-on-top-of-the-other mod isn't too difficult. There's also a deflector rail to scratch build. This was to protect the rockets if the drop tanks were jettisoned.

I've found the reference Snap dug out above, which came from the Britmodeller site. The original piece is a comprehensive bit of literature that comes with a set of Aviaeology decals. Sorry, can't put the stuff up. Mark will shout at me for breach of copyright, but here's a link.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews ... p?rid=1562

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

I'll be interested to see how you do this. It may be a good idea to invest in that decal set as it seems that the information will be more than helpful in building the rails and rockets

The Engines look good but I think that if you try Xtreme metal you will probably like it more than the stuff you're using now.

What do you think of HGW's Wet Transfers?
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm

I used Extreme metal bronze on the exhausts and copper on the pipework. It goes on really nicely, but it's not easy to brush paint when you're touching up. Being an enamel paint, I've managed to get away without a primer coat when using the Extreme metal. The aluminium is Vallejo Metal color duraluminium, which I also like and it's a little easier with a brush.

The HGW wet decals are great. I haven't found a need to varnish first (yet). I've just used Microsol/set when I'm applying them. I've always left at least 8 hours before attempting to peel off the backing. It can be a bit fiddly to find a corner to peel off, but once it's started it seems to come off pretty easily. So far I've had no problems with the decal breaking up.

No need to get more decals. I have a full image of the original reference piece :D

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am

My rockets have arrived!

On the left, the rocket bodies, centre, mounts warheads and rails, right, tails and fuses.

Here's the progress with the wing section. I've joine the spar to the lower wings and added the upper firewalls and control rods. The radio and Gee receiver will be mounted on the centre section.

Below, some additional PE has been added to the sides of the wheel bays and the wiring runs painted. You can also see the magnets that will be used to attach the radiator flaps. The centre section is currently the wrong colour, but that's going to change soon. It ought to be white.

One thing that's occurred to me that isn't quite right :o . The bomb bay doors can be positioned closed, fully open, to reveal the cannon and bombs, or half-open, just showing the bomb load. There's no option in the instructions to have half-open doors just revealing the cannon bay! My version, won't have a bomb load, so I want to have the cannon bay doors open. It should be a relatively simple modification.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby chill » Fri May 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Coming along superbly
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Gundog » Fri May 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Looking in to the rockets in a bit more detail reveals that some fairly complex modifications will be needed. In the photo above, you can see that the rockets have been moulded with the stirrups that attach them to the rail. The two-on-a-rail modification requires the stirrups to be relocated on the lower rockets to a position further rearward. If this isn't done, the tails will interfere with each other. I'll have to grind off the stirrups on four of the rockets and scratch build some of my own. I'll also have to add a pair of reinforcing pads to each wing to support the weight of the rocket mountings. Lastly, the guard rail that prevents the drop tanks from hitting the rockets when they're jettisoned is quite a complex looking modification. There are support bars that span between the inboard and outboard rocket rails and diagonal bracing rods that attach to the inboard rail.

I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby wingnut » Fri May 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello I'm new to the forum, your attention to detail is stunning nice work :clap:
Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight