Gundog's Banff Strike Wing Mosquito FBVI

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Gundog's Banff Strike Wing Mosquito FBVI

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Gundog » Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 am

The wings are now married to the fuselage. No glue yet, it hardly needs it! I've push-fitted the control surfaces, so you can get an impression of how the model will look when complete. As you can see, I have opted to show the flaps and elevators in the "down" position. The pilot would probably push the stick forward to get out of his seat and there's no particular reason why you'd reset the flaps to zero degrees on an aircraft with full thickness flaps. Makes for a quicker getaway!

Don't get the impression that this is nearly finished. There's loads more to do yet!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Fri May 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Gundog wrote: there's no particular reason why you'd reset the flaps to zero degrees on an aircraft with full thickness flaps.

Modern practice on light aircraft is to raise flaps to reduce the chance of stones chipping them. Of course, it may not hold true for war time practice or the Mossie as the flaps aren't behind the wheels. Regardless, it's your model to pose how you like, and you're dong a fantastic job :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Fri May 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Point taken Mark. It could be preparing for take-off. These aircraft would also have been at rapid readiness and in wartime people tend to cut a few corners on pre-flight!

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 am

Fuel tanks fitted! The rearmost 2 pairs of bomb bay door arms will be cut off and glued to the (closed) rear section

The problem with modelling in larger scales is that they don't go in the spray booth!

Xtracrylix medium sea grey and RAF green applied. I'm VERY unhappy with the finish :angry-banghead: I'm going to start again with Model Air.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:54 am

The spray booth shows how big this monster of a model is !! She is coming on very nicely indeed Gundog !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Yeah, everything fits beautifully, but as I said, I'm really unhappy with the finish I got with Xtracrylix. I was expecting the slightly grainy finish. They tend to spit out of the airbrush and can clog the nozzle quite easily. The problem is with the look once it's dried. It's really blotchy. Also, because of the grainy finish, the white tack I was using for masking has stuck to the paint.

So it's out with a finishing cloth to smooth it down, then back to the paint shop with Model Air 20 & 97.

... well that's what the Creative Models colour comparator recommended. Looking at the colours, they're nowhere close!

22 (Cam Green) & 48 (dark sea grey) are much closer. The grey is a little lighter than the Xtracrylix, but that looked a bit dark anyway.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Vallejo have put out a paint set for this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAL71162-AV-Vallejo-Model-Air-Set-WWII-RAF-Day-Fighters-8-colour-paint-set-/201583909179?hash=item2eef56593b:g:RjoAAOSw8vZXNgVB

AK also have one, which I am using for my Mosquito as a trial for the colours
http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/raf-camouflage-colours-set-ak-interactive.html

AK tend to use scale colouring, which is a barely noticeable lightening of the colour. Having used the medium sea grey and the interior green so far my take is that the interior green may be a little dark, but the Med.Sea Grey is just about right.

I can't comment on the Vallejo colours as yet as I don't have them. Also I haven't looked at the AK stuff under normal daylight conditions properly.

I do agree with Gundog though.. the finish of the Xtracrylics is a very rough grainy one. I much prefer Vallejo or AK as they are much easier to use and have a much better finish

Coming on nicely Gundog. She's going to look good when finished. :clap: :dance:
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:19 pm

So, I sanded off the rough bits with 3200 grit. Unfortunately, I manage to knock off one of the undercarriage legs whilst I was doing it! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I think the best course of action is to drill a small hole in each end and use the drill bit as a reinforcer.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby baby_astons » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

well, considering this big is a trouble - I'll get in REAL trouble with the 24th scale sister even if my spray cabinet is 80x80x100 - makes for a nice summer time outdoor spray job...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Gundog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I believe you can join two of these spray booths side-by-side. :clap:

The 1/24 Mossie wouldn't fit in that either :laughing-rolling:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Gundog wrote:So, I sanded off the rough bits with 3200 grit. Unfortunately, I manage to knock off one of the undercarriage legs whilst I was doing it! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I think the best course of action is to drill a small hole in each end and use the drill bit as a reinforcer.

No need to sacrifice a drill bit. Just use a bit of brass wire. Sand it first to give the superglue a key. The holes don't need to be an exact size either. 0.2 mm over size won't make it noticeably weaker. In fact a little bit of wiggle room helps.

Wanna guess how I know it works :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:08 pm

That would have been my preferred option Mark, but I have no hard brass wire and lots of drill bits :laughing-rolling:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Gundog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Undercarriage leg fixed, upper surfaces repainted and I'm soooo much more pleased with the result :dance:

A couple of small areas of overspray to touch up, when I do the underside.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Top marks on feathering the camo. I always struggle to get it that even !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gundog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:43 pm

I used Blu (white) Tack rolled into a snake, then just stick some kitchen paper to it to mask the bits you don't want in the new colour. It's supposed to not leave any residue, but it does a bit.

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby morrigan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:27 am

Lovely work Gundog!
new paintwork is luverly and to my Mk1 eyeball is a gosh darn pretty good colour match to what was applied to the KA114 restoration.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks Morrigan. It's not perfect, but it's the first time I've airbrushed a camo scheme. I am pleased with the colour though, after the initial disaster with Xtracrylix.

I haven't had time to put up a post recently, what with starting a new job, but I've applied some of the upper surface decals. A warning to all - the HGW wet decal "no step" box, whilst avoiding the problem of a huge area of carrier film, is a TERRIBLE colour match!!!! :angry-banghead:

By the way, anyone in the UK wanting to get this kit, hurry along to Jadlam Models, they have 25% of at the moment. Less than a ton :D

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby chill » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:40 am

Coming along really well.

Great to see that you have a new job.

Onwards and upwards. And yes I agree, get this kit and add it to the stash. :clap: :dance:
Who cares who wins
chill
Major General
Major General

Postby Gundog » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 pm

For those of you wishing to make an upgrade to the ammo feeds, but not feeling the need to go the whole hog with the Brassin gun sets (which I feel are unnecessary) there's a new set from Barracuda studios.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BCR32265

Gundog
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Aircraft and space flight