Snaps' Tamiya Mosquito FB VI

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:03 pm

My fingers itched and so a day or two earlier than planned I've started.

Being curious I started with the wheels and undercart.

Tamiya have approached the wheels with the intent of removing mould and seam lines and it works. Here's the build sequence.

Don't forget... there's two

continuing on, I built the bottom half of the undercart.

There is a left and right. Don't get them mixed up. Tamiya include a part to help keeping everything aligned whilst putting the wheel on. more than one use for this!

into the paint shop and use of Vallejo NATO Black and Xtreme Metals Dull aluminium a change happens.

putting it all together with metal axles included in the box and....

A few touch ups to the NATO black, but a promising start.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Snaps' Tamiya Mosquito FB VI

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Looks wheely good :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Looks good when painted
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Clever way to make the tyres, looks really good.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:18 am

Great start James :mrgreen:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

I decided to continue with the engines.

Tamiyas' Merlin is a very detailed bit of plastic and is a kit in itself to a point and it makes sense to build both alongside each other as there is no initial difference in the engines. There are lots of parts left over and it looks like other merlin variants may be possible. I suspect that Tamiyas two spitfire kits have the same sprues for the Merlin in them.

To be able to paint the merlin I decided to build the sections, paint them and then put them all together. Magnets were added to the cylinder heads and bolts to the rear.

Jigs are provided to set the cylinder blocks at the correct angle

Once everything is dry and set the jugs are removed.

Into the paint shop everything goes. The Merlin is painted in a particular shade of black. This is replicated very well with AK's Xtreme Metal Jet Exhaust.

There are still some bits to add at this point, but moving on...

Pipework is painted copper, masked and painted stainless steel.

frames, supports and firewall are assembled and painted.

At this time I have had chance to use AK's Interior Green from their RAF set. It looks a little on the dark side to me, but it may be the light I am working under.

Finishing the Engines with propeller shaft and cog case plus a couple of other items which needed to be stainless steel.

Adding pipework to frames. I took several dry fits to make sure I got the correct position.

Fixing the frames and firewall together and adding other components.

This picture shows the right side pipe in the correct place. It's not easy to follow the instructions, but a test fit with the engine showed up the error I made and I was able to correct without too much fuss.

The engine drops into place easily and is secured by two small black screws that go through the back of the firewall and glued into place where they would normally be bolted onto the frames. There's a couple of pipes to be fixed and the starter motor.

That's the end of the RIGHT engine build. I will get a little sticker on it to remind me. It seems that there are slight differences between right and left engines and it seems to be the mounts and firewall. There are a couple of parts to add, but I need to repaint them. There is a couple of extra detail parts from Eduard which are the sparkplugs and HT leads. they are flat etched brass parts. I may try with some brass tube try and make them from scratch.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Great work :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Gundog » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:33 pm

Looking good :clap:

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Continuing on with the build

I am being careful not to mix up the engines. Most of it is duplicated over both Merlins but the firewalls are different as well as the Nacelles.

Now I turn my attention to the Nacelles and here we have etched detailing that's in the kit. Here's a series of pictures showing how they all fit in. It takes so very careful use of superglue!

A dry fit before painting to see where things fit and how well. There are some pin marks which may be removed, but once it's all together and painted plus fixed in place on the wing with the doors in place then they won't really be seen. besides trying to removethem could destroy the framework moulding which would have to be redone making more work.... I'll leave it!

Oil tanks made and extra detailing put on from eduards exterior set. O coat of stainless steel paint will make these look fantastic!

Excuse the photo for this one. Lots of stuff have been through the paintshop more than once with masking and colour changes and are ready to be put on.

Both the interior and exterior or the Nacelles has been painted and parts added

Now it's time to get to grips with the new wet transfers from HGW. It is a slightly different process from normal decals.

First we have our painted part

Next, using warm water we cut out and soak the transfer and apply it like we would a decal. some softener is advised, but not really necessary.

I broke one, so I used the one from the Tamiya sheet (it's on the right and was modified slightly

Now you leave them alone to dry for three hours. While doing that I finished off brush painting the fire extinguishers and placing them.

Back to the tanks.
To finish them off you carefully peel away the transfer film

Finished.... it just looks like a warning sticker!

I should note that the film as it was being taken off removed some of the paint with it underneath. it is also easy to break up these transfers but they do look good. I am not to bothered as most of this is hidden away in the wheel well and I will modify my painting technique for metals with these transfers in future.

Once in place they look fantastic!

Moving back to the engines the rest of the parts are added and touchups to the paintwork done. The engine seems to take life on!

Adding the Nacelles

In fact there are more parts to go on including the exhaust stacks and their supports plus another part or so underneath. These are ready to go into the paint shop and so will be dealt with next post.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Great work Snaps
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:01 am

Those HGW decals look great. Mine arrived yesterday. I love the way that the prop shaft is splined. Great detail on this kit!

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:42 am

You have to be very careful with the transfers Gundog.

use a really sharp brand new blade to cut them out as the paper rips easily and could destroy the transfer and when putting them on metal paint a clear coat of gloss over the top of the paint first won't go amiss.

The instructions show some softener used first with the transfer put directly on that. It's what I didn't do! - lesson learned!
Still. It turned out mostly OK and there's no film around them or anything like that. It's a longer process, but the results in the end are worth it. The stencils for the fuselage should look just as if they are sprayed on!

Moving on. The exhausts are now done

Once through the paint shop

Assembled

placed

Image.

I used Xtreme Metals Bronze for the exhausts. I would like to know what people think. There are some touch ups and a part to put on the bottom of both engines, and they are ready to go on.

With that I turn my attention to the wings and assemble the main spar.

That's ready for painting and detailing now although there are some other parts to go on after painting and they need painting too... Time to assemble those and hit the paint shop.

More next time
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Excellent work Snapdragons ,transfers look good ,were they saving paint leaving fire extinguishers copper :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:42 pm

Time for another update.

First, to answer Steve's question: I have no idea why this bit of equipment is left copper, but most if not all this bit of kit in a Mossie is always left like this.

I think it's the fire extinguisher. Next time I go to Elvington Air Museum I'll ask the owner of the Mossie.

On with the build

It's time to crack on with the wings and there's a fair amount of work and painting to do. First of all I need to paint and assemble the top of the firewall and the linkages there as well as the centre linkages. Take care here as there are left and right parts and different lengths. It is easy to get them mixed up, so although I painted everything at once I had separate piles and kept the parts to their piles.
Firewall was painted aluminium while the linkages were painted polished steel to give them a different sheen and a blueish hint that makes them stand out from the firewall. detail work was paint brushed with intgerior green and the area where the top cowling fixed painted with a wood brown colour. some parts of the linkages were painted Vallejo metal black with a paint brush too. Sometimes it's just not possible to do some things accurately with an airbrush without overspray no matter how careful you are. At times a paintbrush is more controllable than an airbrush!

Once assembled the firewalls and centre linkages were attached onto the main spar part.

While the aluminium paint was out I took the opportunity to spray the landing lights in the lower wing parts and attach the lenses with Tamiya extra thin.

They've now got Eduards masks on them.

I used more detailing from Eduards sets which will add slightly more detail to the top of the wheel bay.

back into the paint ship and to the interior green and it looks great!

an opportunity to paint wire runs was taken.

The lower wings were joined to the spar at this time. Glued and screwed!

I decided to do a test fit with the engine section just to see how close my build was.

Yes.. the fairing is already painted Medium Sea grey! The fit is excellent... you can't get a hair in there! :D

Time to build the radiators. The magnets in this area are already :superlglue: in place and the area painted interior green, I'm not sure how much will be seen so while the paints out it's no problem to splash it around a bit further. I painted the back of the radiators with xtreme metal Gun Metal (a metallic grey) and then just added the grilles on top leaving them the metal colour from the fret. It gives a good effect and depth. the rear elements were built first and attatcvhed. Careful with the orientation!

The front ones will be the most visible and I took more care in placing the grille and other elements. The painting is exactly the same

The guard is attached and bent, securing it with tiny dots of superglue along the bottom. there should be a gap between this guard and the radiator grilles. The human eye picks up the depth difference, not too sure the camera can

With all that work done it's time to add the top wing elements. These practically drop into place and are easy to glue into place.... try a couple of dry fits first so you can work out where to put the glue. This will save some :angry-banghead: Trust me!

Oh! Don't forget to paint the interior around the radiators with interior green!

The basic wing structure is now done.

Time to add more detail and pipework to the engine bay so I dry fitted the Merlin and nacelle/fairing to the wing to take a look at space and just how the parts are going to fit.

At this moment in time, the top of the bomb bay is painted white, wing tips and ailerons are fitted. Now I need to make the fuselage fuel tanks and support structure and the sides of the engine bay. Time to sort out properly the procedure for these wet transfers! There's a few for the fuel tanks.

Look out for next times exciting episode!

Will Uncle Snap finally manage to get the transfers sorted without taking off the paint?
Will Uncle Snap manage to get the engines fixed in place and all the remaining copper pipes fitted without a trip to the hospital?
Will Uncle Snap have a meltdown while trying to paint the navigation lights?
Will uncle Snap manage to get the right colour onto the right light?

Fins out in the next exciting installment!

:laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Looks fantastic Snaps :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Gundog » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Strewth Snap, you're cracking on with this! (and making a fine job)

I hope that Patriot missile arrives soon. It'll give the rest of us a chance to catch up :laughing-rolling:

Gundog
Major
Major

Postby snapdragon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:01 pm

I hope it does soon. I'm interested to what is in the box. I'm told that there's lots of plastic and it's a big box.

The parcel tracker tells me that it should be delivered before 18 April! :angry-banghead:

And you thought the Royal Mail was slow!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:09 am

Your mossies looking good Snaps!
The bronze exhaust colour is pretty close to factory fresh.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:04 pm

After the patriot battery build (finishing photos to be put up) and a short break in Germany plus some very nice days spent out and about on the motorbike during some unbelievable nice weather in Yorkshire I'm back in the saddle and continuing on with the Mossie build.

I've moved on to the Cockpit and it's time to jazz it up!

The cockpit base is still in the paint shop needing a little more attention ( I missed a bit! :angry-banghead: ) but it's time to deal with some decals and tangle with HGW's seatbelt set!

I have ordered Eduards Nose gun set which should be here at some point next week and after looking at Gundogs report I may decide to mix and match from Eduards set, the kit set and the Masters Barrels set. Either way... Should be mind blowing fun :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby morrigan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 am

Just stand on your head while rubbing your head and patting your stomach while assembly the HGW belts and you'll have no problems.
And a swear jar on standby.
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Return to Aircraft and space flight