Another Airfix 1/24 Mosquito in progress build

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Morris » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I know I'm late into this area, and the Airfix Mossie has been built numerous times. I just want to give it a try also and occasionally post a few pics. Thanks !!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Another Airfix 1/24 Mosquito in progress build

Postby Gundog » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Nice start. What paint did you use for the interior?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:20 am

Hi Gundog! Your posts on this forum as what got me wanting to get back into it and post something.. They are excellent. The interior colour I used is a Tamiya AS29 (IJN) gray-green - Then I washed with a mix of green and burnt umber. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Morris
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:13 am

Finally joined up the fuselage halves - - now onto the wing. No aftermarket stuff added as yet other than the seat belts from Eduard....
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
And just a little side project ongoing - 1.6th scale - attempt at a 'Wing Commander Grant' figure...
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:05 am

This is on my list to get hold of and build up as I missed it first time round.

When you look closely at this kit and then look at the Typhoon that followed and the very soon to be released car door version the mossie kit makes you wonder if it was actually a test of their new CAD programme and technology available to them to see how far they could push the envelope in 1/24 scale.

These kits have certainly made modellers sit up and take notice and have given builders what they have desperately been wanting for years - a big kit stuffed full of detail that is fun and gives you a challenge with the end result being worthy of any competition table and pride of place in any display cabinet.

Get some of the older airfix 1/24 kits and put them beside the mossie and Tiffy and, l'm sorry but they no longer cut the mustard. They were state of the art of the technology and design when they were first done when Airfix's reputation were second to none and everything they did was well worth getting.

Those moulds are now shot, old, tired and leak. The kits retail for about £60 and have less detail than some 1/48 and definitely 1/32.

They are kits of iconic aircraft and airfix are only damaging themselves by not scrapping them and bringing in a brand new state of the art detailed kit of Tiffy and Mossie standards.

I have their ME 109 and being honest it's like a very, very early Trumpeter kit. So much flash it's difficult to make out some of the parts, warped parts and poor moulded detail from the worn out moulds themselves.

Let's hope Airfix decide to revamp and renew their 1/24 range. A new box and an old kit does not a new kit make!

Morris, keep going mate. I wouldn't personally have used IJN green inside, but it looks fantastic!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks ever so much for looking, commenting. Snapdragon, I think your spot on about the last 3 Airfix 1/24 scale efforts....I've been away from the hobby awhile and just now getting back into it. The big Mossie was the reason...I think you're right on the IJN grey green but I will have to stick it out. :)
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Gundog » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:44 pm

a definite resemblance to Cliff Robertson there. Can you get an Angus Lennie version as well?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Building: Hachette Bismarck, DeAgostini Sovereign of the Seas, 74 Sqn. tribute, Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FBVI

In the stash: Way too much
Gundog
Major
Major

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Ha! oh man, that would be cool, - I dremelled a Jeremy Renner sculpt for CR - will need to be on the lookout for an Angus Lennie lookalike....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Morris, Over the next few months I will be updating my paints collection with some of Vallejo's paint sets.

These paints are recognised as airbrush friendly, top quality good pigmented and accurate paints and are always at the front of my paint holders where I have lots of storage for them and a smaller separate one which I call my Ready Paint holder, which I fill with the paints and colours I need for a project and is right at the side of my painting area. This works well for me and I can usually get every primer/colour/metal paint I need on this rack as it has multi sized holes.

This is my ready rack

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/paint-stand-corner-module-vallejo.html

My main paint suppliers are Vallejo and AK interactive for their most excellent Xtreme metal paint range. Although I do have several of Vallejo's Metal colour range, AK's Xtreme metal is the better product producing a fabulous finish and is so easy to use. It is an enamel paint and the colours are just spot on. it's like spraying liquid metal, which in a way, you are as it used actual metal pigment. It needs a little longer to dry and cure than it says on the bottle, but I have always left things for 24 hours after painting to dry and cure properly.

My next Vallejo set will be their Battle of Britain paint set, so look out for that in the reviews section in a couple of weeks. I have already been looking at it and there is one colour which is a bit confusing, but once I get the set in my grubby little paws and read the blurb then things may become clearer.

My advice is to get the RAF set that I have posted about for your Mossie as it will give you the proper authentic exterior colours you need to complete this cracking kit and build

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:36 pm

James, thank you for all of your detailed info and tips! It is very much appreciated....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby morrigan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:10 am

Lovely work on the big Mossie and Mr Robertson.
:clap: :clap:

I'll second Snaps vote for Vallejo, its my go to paint of choice as well.

Some good reference photos of the Mosquito can be found here: http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/ and here:http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/past.html#ka114
Needs more fusewire
morrigan
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:14 am

Thanks Morrigan! Great sites for referencing. Thanks again....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby casper » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Superb work on the cockpit Morris :clap: :clap:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby baby_astons » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:44 pm

great job on the model so far morris, and there can never be enough build threads about models, even if others have done them already -
second the thoughts about older 24th kits, still, if not scared one can build quite detailed models out of those old dogs -
and btw as the mossie is the only 24th airplane kit I'm still missing (not for long I hope) I'll rather build the old ones than wait for a new rendition of a 190 or 109 and pay again (lots) for something that is already in the stash...
hope very much, new kits won't be a "new tooling" for a mustang or a zero or the aforementioned etc but definitely something we haven't seen before...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Morris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks to all for comments of encouragement, info, techniques, reference material, general cool conversation...!
Hope to get farther along with the big beauty this weekend (job and my squadron commander wife dominate my weekdays, he he) - it is a lovely kit, one of those that makes the build enjoyable....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:36 pm

If I can just add my admiration...... Fantastic paint work on Wing Commander Grant. Superb weathering on the cockpit too. Just shows that you don't need aftermarket parts to make a stunning cockpit.

Looking forward to the rest of your build :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks for looking and commenting - Got a little bit done tonight before the wife caught me .....1st page concerning the wing assembly - I was going to try out the RB productions radiator grille, but they haven't arrived as yet....went on to the bottom of the page - drilled the holes in the lower wing panels for the wing bomb rack. Then for the landing lights, I used the plastic tray that holds my blood pressure medicine (yes I'm getting on...) to cut out the 'cups' - painted them chrome and used clear spruce ends for the light bulbs. All to show tonight....
ImageImage
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:10 pm

Great work on your Mossie.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Assembled the main wing components - hope to get it on the fuselage tomorrow.....
ImageImage
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Morris » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Assembled the fuselage, wing and tail plane. The model is massive - Laid on the 1st coat of RAF Med Sea Grey after a light coat of primer....Then did the engines - Both are models themselves. Airfix really crammed some detail into them.
Landing gear next week.....
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight