Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Airfix 1/24 Me 109 E4

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Morris » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm

:o :o :shock: Wow! - it's coming on ! Thanks for update - !
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby wingnut » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 pm

steve131 wrote:Great work Snapdragons ,dug out my 109 yesterday after seeing your blog .Funny how we all have a soft spot for these old kits.

Hi Duke, does this mean we can look forward to a "109" build diary ?
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby number1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 pm

Might be an old kit, but your doing a fantastic job on her.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:27 pm

A good paint job disguises so many faults!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Prop boss is 71 on the Vallejo box as well .Great work ,really enjoying this build ,paint just makes it sing :clap: . As you say your not going to use the pilot Snapdragon's what are you going to do with him and parts you don't use , think people on EBay might use them and it generates cash :think: Wingnut would love to do a diary but just can't work it out :oops: read Roy's Photo bucket fix and its just Chinese to me :oops: :oops: married to a Maths Teacher not IT Teacher so no help there :oops: didn't have computers when one was at school just missed chalk and slate :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 pm

I may just end up married to a policewoman from Kharkov. Stunning ginger lady!

The real fly in the ointment is Government red tape!

I now use imigur for my pics... free, unlimited and easy to use!

Prop boss will be repainted. As for the pilot... He'll be glued together and a very tiny quantity of black powder used.....

If I get chance tomorrow then I'll fix on the cowling and paint the upper fuselage of the aircraft add on the lower details and get ready for putting on the decals. Airfix supply no swastika and I'm not going to spend any money on this.

I just wonder how this stacks up with the Trumpeter 1/24 Me 109?

:think: :think: :think:
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:36 am

Congratulations on your forthcoming event can't see Home Office giving you trouble with the service you gave our country .Best get Trumpy now cause when you put a ring on it ,you won't have any time or money left.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 am

Nothing's certain yet and the immigration people are a law unto themselves. It may just hinge on finances and the lack of them. We have been exchanging letters and photos through a dating website and she is going through the visa application process to visit!

I could end up with my own SWMBO who I may be able to get hooked on building stuff. She seems a creative type but I will learn much more if she gets granted a visitors visa. She has an interview for one. They are like rocking horse poo, but being a state employee may mean that she will be granted one. Time will tell!

Never mind 50 shades of grey, the house may end up being 50 shades of Ginger and you can all come and laugh at me in my hospital bed after the old dicky ticker plays up! :laughing-rolling:

Trumpeter's 1/24 kits seem to retail for about £90. My main focus is on Telford and getting ZM's new twin seat Do335. Not sure of the price but could be about £150. ZM's stuff is not cheap, but always a pleasure to delve into the box.

I may try and pick up the single seat one too. I can see a day fighter and then a twin seat night fighter with radar. I have already emailed the old man asking for one to be put under the table for me at Telford. I don't think they are doing pre-orders, just turn up and take a chance!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:51 pm

oh, the do 335 in 24th scale would be something, in the meantime I have to stick to the balsa model I have here, better than nothing...
I just simply don't get it, why in heaven trumpeter are doing the fw 190 - the wide wing stuka or the mustang rezorback are fine enough, but throwing out money for an already available model is strange - tey could have made a me 262 or a do 335 or anything else interesting and remain the sole supplier - only real crazy maniacs will need the trumpeter to display alongside the airfix one...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Airfix's FW190 is a notorious kit fit wise. I did one in my younger days and I had problems galore with it as I remember.

I have been tempted to get Revells 1/32 FW190 F8 and throw all Eduards Brassin and etch at it.

ZM have a 1/32 190 in the works. They are taking their time to get it right as they are expecting it to be a hot seller and with such a well known subject it needs to be right. Their new Japanese subject is at the front of the queue the old man tells me and the Henshel 129 should be a good kit as it will have multiple armament options.

I know that like myself, BA is a large scale man and I wonder why he hasn't picked up on ZM before now! They are fabulous kits and when I see the boss' son at Telford I'll sow the seeds of taking the kits to 1/24 scale!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:45 pm

hehe, because it's not quite large enough at 1:32 - owning most of the available plastic and many more cottage industry kits I simply won't step into another scale -
I already dumped all my 48th scale models a decade ago in favour of only one scale, so, YES the zm are pretty fine but they are NOT 1:24 scale and I won't be mixing either. period.

baby_astons
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Here is another update.

There are still a few obvious parts to go on but at the moment it is just painting. In particular the 70/71 on the spine of the aircraft and repainting the prop boss RLM 70.

The cowling has been fitted and glued into place. I have had no choice due to the fit of the part as well as the pieces over the cowling Machine guns... that is a bad fit and rather than spend hours with filler etc I've just stuck them down!

RLM 71 sprayed and left to cure. Cockpit masking is my own custom cut ones with some masking and a very sharp brand new blade!

Marking out the upper RLM 70 splinter camo

RLM 70 sprayed,

After cleaning airbrush, masking tape removed apart from canopy. This needs to cure and then mask the splinter pattern to refresh and finish the RLM 65 paint. After that it is the Yellow cowling and I think that I'll do the rudder yellow too!

There are a few parts to add and paint. I have deviated from Airfix's paint instructions to give the aircraft a more classic battle of Britain movie feel. They used Spanish Buchons for the movie which are an ME 109 coupled with a Merlin Engine which causes the cowling to have a different appearance and sound! One Buchon from the movie is still flying and is owned by the Aircraft restoration Company based at Duxford Museum.

Always happy to see these old ladies in the air where they belong!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Enjoying this immensely - your clean work with that air brush is neat. And all the advice on the paint shades. Agreed on the old movie Buchons - I like seeing it in the air at Flying Legends every year. K given for the advice and the build!
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks Morris.

A good paint job is just getting the best paints with a good quality airbrush and then judicious use of masking tape as you can see in my photos.

The wing splinter pattern and early camouflage on German aircraft is very easy to replicate as it is a base coat of RLM 71 and then once completely cured (I always allow 24 hours - no need to rush!) mask off the areas to remain that colour and then slap the RLM 70 on top.

I think that you have used a similar process on your Spitfire, but rattle can rather than airbrush. FYI information, all the painting on this has been done with a 0.4mm Nozzle on my H&S Evolution. I nearly always use the light colour as my base colour on these things.

If I need to do an RAF fighter I will usually look for ready made masks for the camo or do my own using A4 sheets of masking tape and then mark out wings and fuselage while the kit is still in component parts and then draw the scheme and cut out with a sharp knife. I do also do quite a lot of camouflage freehand, mostly on my tanks.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby baby_astons » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 pm

I have a 109E on the desk which I am restoring after it has been built back in the early 70ies and subsequently spent 25 years in various boxes in the basement -
I recall having inserted a strip of styrene (with no evergreen available in 1970 I used up the spine of a 76th scale tank) in the hood and the lower cowling -
to get the parts to fit over the enigne and the machine guns - I'll probably keep the stuff in place on the restored model so everything remains a better fitting affair!!

baby_astons
General
General

Postby steve131 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am

You've made a lot of people love the old Airfix again Snapdragons with this build :clap: Any luck with their 190 I couldn't find one for you , any Telford rumors :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm

All the painting is now done. A couple of patching bits to be done but those can be done with a brush.

The yellow RLM 04 Took some getting done. I think that yellow is the worst colour to have to deal with followed by white and then red. I can say that the new version of RLM04 that you can find in Vallejo's air war sets is totally correct and compared to the previous one is a more vibrant colour and matches the Chipset.

I sprayed ontop of Badgers stylnrz primers which are really nice to use and very good. I think they will become my go to primers. I have had a problem with the undercarriage covers though because pulling masking tape off after painting the yellow pulled off some of the paint on both port and starboard covers back to the plastic but that could mean that I just didn't give the primer and then the RLM 65 on top enough time to cure properly.

If you are going to use RLM 04 I would strongly suggest that you use a white primer instead of the usual grey.

This is how the ME 109 looks right now.

I have only done this to get rid of the kit and test the new colours from Vallejo which are totally 100% accurate. I am very tempted to leave it like it is as it will never get on my display shelves and although it was nice to step back in time I had more hassle putting this together than 6 months of the Jagdtiger! Yes there are a few bits to add and I suppose that you all want me to go on with the decals but truth to tell my fingers are twitching to get on with the final bit of the Bar and then dive into Mengs Tiger II.

So... do I return to the dark side or not?
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Very nice work James, but yes, get the decals on it !! It's looks very bare at the moment.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:51 pm

It looks brilliant - neat and clean - Yes, decals please.....I still want to get my stashed out and gave a go eventually! I'll need inspiration once I'm dug in I know! :D
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Ok. If the boss and Morris want decals then I'll oblige.

Out with the Vallejo clear gloss!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight