Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Zoukei-Muras' Second release from 2011.

This build is of an original 2011 kit which has been sat in my stash for long time. I also have the more recent H0 release which has just a couple of parts difference. This will be an OOB build with the only AM being HGW's seatbelt set.

ZM have gone from strength to strength with their super detailed kits and although they don't have extensive production runs such as Tamiya and Trumpeter many cabinets and competition tables see their finished products there with large queues at their Telford Stand every year.

This kit has sprues of different colour, grey, black(ish) and silver(ish) following the thought that many modellers wouldn't only need to paint the exterior. SWS fans quickly complained and now, apart from transparencies all the plastic is light grey.

What is in the box? This lot!

It also gives me the chance to showcase Vallejo's new Luftwaffe 1941-1945 paints on a quality subject. These are chipset accurate, but with an actual recorded +/- 3% deviance from chipset throughout the war by the paint manufacturers that did a stunning job despite shortages and major supply disruption as well as bombing.

Metal paints for this will be a mix of Vallejo Model Colour, Metal colour and Xtreme Metal from AK.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Never built a Zoukei-Myra kit - will watch this one - always fancied their P-51 :D
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Morrigan built a stunner in aircraft section ,but sadly pictures gone :angry-banghead: .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Glad they ditched the different coloured plastic ,doesn't look as good as their later stuff . Looking forward to this ,when your at Telford tell em to do an ME 163 Komet :think:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 pm

You mean this?

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2014/02/meng-komet

Not ZM, but with real care and thought a really good looker!

This is their second release from 2011 and it shows where their concept is starting to go. Despite it's looks on the sprue it will look very good when done and under paint and there is more to this than meets the eye as you will see.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 am

:clap: Great find ,lot of good reviews about it . Looks very nice but still would love ZM to work their magic on it ,as I think they are starting to come market leaders now .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Meng released that just after I'd got the old Hasegawa version :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I do have the CMK cockpit set to go with it - must dig it out one of these days.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby builder76 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm

I admit I have never heard of ZM kits Mark. :think:
However look forward to seeing more of your build. A very unusual type of aircraft ;)
Have used most colours of Vallejo paints metal & extreme ..always pleased with the results. :D
John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:34 pm

I've go the ZM Horten in my stash, and it's a very impressive kit ! Expensive but you get what you pay for. Mind, I haven't built i yet :lol:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

The ZM Horten is a fabulous kit and during your building you get to understand the construction and design. Hitlers first stealth aircraft.

With having the exterior skin in a sort of clear plastic it gives a whole range of display options and they are working on a two seater add on kit to the original. They may even do changes to the original kit for the two seater version. I don't know.

There are many AM options including plywood decals etc and I have seen some stunning builds of the Horten.

The TA 152 H1 kit is ZM's second release and reminds me very much of a Tamiya kit or trumpeter at its best. This and their first release, the Shinden shows the concept of what they were after and the development of that concept.

As I build this those following can see the concept and the fact they were actually working out what is possible, and what is not in injection moulding and the fact that depending on the subject and the available information depend on how in-depth ZM goes.

The TA 152 was the last development of the FW 190 and the TA designation is an nod to the designer, Kurt Tank. very limited numbers were build and saw service and it was a high altitude interceptor, which as you see the wings and prop they are charismatic of that. It entered service in January 1945 with only around 43 aircraft and 6 prototypes built.

I'm currently working on the Junkers Jumo 213E and an update should appear tomorrow
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:34 pm

I start this build not with the cockpit, but with the Junkers Jumo 213 E

The first thing I did was to put together the base of the engine, the cylinder block and the rear. It is quite easy to put together and although not a lot of parts, the parts have quite a bit of detail on them.

Once I had sorted all the parts I needed for just the engine and looked at how ZM said to paint the engine I decided to do a little more looking and found some very good photos on the net of original Jumo 213E engines. This is mainly to satisfy me that the paint directions are correct.

Indeed, ZM's paint instructions are correct. Normally German WWII engines for BMW, DB and Junkers in-line V12 are all black with a big serial number on them

The TA152 entered limited service in January 1945 and many things had changed.

I decided on the look and paints I would use and primed all the engine parts with Stylnrez Metal Primer and left that to cure overnight

To paint the engine block I used Xtreme metal Stainless steel which gave me, on top of the primer the not quite gleaming blue hue silver-steel look I was after. Once set aside along with the other parts I needed doing in that colour was done I turned my attention to the parts that were black.

During priming, one part sprang out of my tweesers at light speed and I still haven't found it :angry-banghead: It doesn't really matter as that part will be hidden in the end.

I tried several metallic colours from Vallejo Model Air, Metal Colour and Xtreme metal but didn't find what I was looking for apart from having to totally strip down and deep clean the airbrush when the Model Air Metal Black which I was pinning my hopes on totally clogged up my airbrush for some reason. It was time to think outside the box and I needed a metallic looking black with a blue hue....... Oh! AK's Japanese Navy set has the Blue-Black cowling colour.....

Applied to the metal primer and to full depth it is just right and matched photos

Now I have to put all of it together..... If you are going to get and do this model, pay attention to which way round the cam covers fit!! :D

The oil cooler was painted in Vallejo Metal color steel

As a last bit of work for today I primed the oil tank, 30mm MG, it's ammo and feed bins/chute as well as the engine mounts and other parts of the mount area. Tomorrow those will get painted and added to the engine.

snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:23 pm

The engine itself looks to be a self contained kit, your painting and the kit is really cool :clap: ......watching with interest. I feel your pain on the flying model part - if my man cave carpet was cleaned there would probably be an entire kit in the hoover.... :doh:
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Here's another update.

There has been some assembly but it is mostly priming and painting.

With very late WWII German aircraft there are no hard and set rules. RLM 74, 75, 76, 81,82,83 & 84 were used in many different combinations with gives builders great latitudes in painting. In general, 76 &84 were underneath colours which were meant to mimic RAF Sky (84) and 76 with was a different hue to RLM 65 which it replaced.

In general terms the upper surface varied greatly with some being painted as so not to be seen my ground attack aircraft whilst on the ground, some to mimic Allied aircraft colours and schemes and some in grey tones (74 &75) to try and blend more in cloudy skies.

For this build I started with the idea of using RLM 84 as the lower surface colour.

Many parts were primed ready for painting. This shows part way through the process.

The cockpit parts were painted with RLM 66

Prior to final assembly paint detailing and IP panel decals will be done as will the seatbelts. ZM provide full IP and side panel decals but also individual dials too ad it is those I will use with painting done in reference to some restored Ta152 panels located on the internet.

The engine mounts, oil tank, MG 151 30mm cannon and it's ammunition/link chute fitted. These were not quite so easy to fit as I envisaged as once the mount is done you don't have much room to work in and the parts are a tight fit!

That is ready to go on the model at the appropriate time.

As I was searching around for walkaround photos of the only existing specimen which is in the NASM and still in storage I had the opportunity to read some interesting information which changed my paint direction for the airframe. Apparently the wing spars were steel and not aluminium. Som out came Xtreme Metals' Steel paint and the visable areas painted and the 20mm cannon added to the spars. There are a couple of other parts to add but they will be done a little later.

Once the model is finished you will be able to see that the wing spars are a different colour as I will be using white aluminium for the inner surfaces and wheel wells.

In a late night session I decided to have a very basic test fit to give myself an impression on where I need to pay attention to painting and just how it will look when done.

Test fitting and exterior panel around the engine

Looking at the next picture I realised, and with the parts in my eyeline that for some reason the RLM 84 just didn't seem right on this particular aircraft.

test fit of incomplete cockpit

test fit or upper wing part

I did a paint comparison on parts with RLM 76 and after putting parts painted with the two different lower surface colours realised that indeed the RLM 76 was a better colour.

I then got going and painted parts with RLM 76 and RLM 82.

This photo is the last one of my current update and shows the tail section parts ready for assembly (minus the tailplanes and elevators. on the real aircraft the tail section which the photo show was actually make out of wood. Armed with this information I deviated from the paint instructions (silver) and painted it in RLM 02 which would have been normal for a wood structure.

I am still undecided as what to use for the other colour surface on the wings and upper fuselage. At this stage of the war everything was painted freehand and I am leaning towards RLM 81 which is a brown colour.

Comments and questions welcome.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Coming together really nicely James, the engine is looking fantastic too :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:30 pm

Agreed ! As it's assembled, the sections of different paint add detail. Good stuff! :D
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Time for another update.

I'm sorry for the delay, but the cockpit took quite a while to do which most of it were the HGW seatbelts. My cutting of the belts is a slightly bit off, as is the length, but with a bit of thought and placement on the seat and with the fuselage sides on they don't look too bad! The Macro lens on my camera picks up everything!

The paint shop has been very busy and several techniques have been tested, mainly on the prop and associated parts.

I needed to try to get a very shiney metal for the prop and so reverted to the following:

Primed with Stylnrez grey and let cure, put Xtreme metal black base on top and let cure and then put stainless steel on top of that to full coverage and depth.

I did the same to the radiator mount. This was then coated with a clear coat from the Xtreme Metal range - shine enhancer which protects the paint.

The radiator was painted with stainless steel but just onto the grey primer. To pich out the grilles from the mount I then, using a small brush used Vallejo Meal colour Burnt Iron to pick out the grilles.

Final parts, for the wing section painted and added, the bomb/fuel tank mount and some bracing struts.

Wheels assembled and painted. There is just some fine detail before they will be fixed on!

I moved onto the cockpit and this has taken several sessions - mostly seatbelts and for the IP and side panels, internet references for the Ta152 were used and painted. Normally I would use the etched set to do the IP and any other panels and I was also having great difficulty getting the decal dials in place and I didn't want to use a full decal so some watered down Valleio Model Air chrome was put into the dials to simulate glass glare. As there is a hood to go over the top the IP is mostly hidden and can only be seen from certain angles.

After spending some time looking just how the fuselage goes together and how the engine fits into this I decided that the best way was to deviate from the instructions and to add the engine and mount to the front of the cockpit before adding the fuselage sides.

Once that was done and set/cured I started dry fitting the fuselage sides and other parts to see how they looked. Some very minor sanding with 2000 grit took place to enable a snug fit at the front of the fuselage sides.

This photo shows the fuselage sides glued in place and a test fit of the front upper cowling and canopy.

Next time I fit the wings, tail section and other parts. It is beginning to look like an aircraft now!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Nice work! - amazing kit, really detailed :shock: ....
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks, Morris. Just wait until I get the new one!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Looking good 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Here's another update.

I've spent quite a bit of time putting together the fuselage, tail and wings. Some minor adjustments had to be made to the front end of the fuselage halves so that they would fit almost seamlessly to the lower fuselage section where the cockpit was fixed. Some clamping was in order until everything set.

Adding the wings took some clamping and pressure again at the front to make sure that the very front part of the wing root of the left and right fuselage section fitted into the gap on the wing properly. Once everyhine was cured and set it looks very good.

In the manual it says to make sure that the tail section is fitted properly and it is straight. It has four pins to guide it but what puts the modeller off is the fact that the fuselage join on the top is offset slightly and the tail join isn't so it confuses your brain when you are looking for that line accuracy. I can't help feeling that ZM could have done this differently with an overlapping joint to made sure that there is an all round joint rather than four corners pin joint.

This leaves a noticeable joint in this area, but on the real aircraft the tail was all wood and was a separate bolt on to the fuselage. ZM has accurately reproduced this feature, but for building purposes I can't help thinking that the joint construction could have been done better.

With the tail, fuselage and wings together it now looks like an aircraft.

During the putting together the paint has taken many hots and some repainting and freshening up will be done at the last stages of the build, but it gives you an overall impression of the correct colours.

I have moved onto the engine cowling. In the manual you have the option of gluing it on or leaving it off. This gives you a half-half option too, but you also have to consider the radiator and nose section too. It have chosen to do something slightly different and glue the side cowlings on while leaving the top one removable.

Again some slight fit issues which caused some lateral pressure to be applied and a very minor adjustment.

What you have to bear in mind is that at this stage of ZM's existence and with this being their second release some aspects of their concept of bringing us super detailed kits were still being nailed down. As time has done on and these issues have been solved and better technology in CAD and injection moulding we have seen ZM's kits become stunning examples of their subjects and design with some pretty unique way of doing things which their fans have also had a hand in on the suggestions front.

I am now moving on to the nose and radiator for which my choice of cowling attachment will become clear and the fact that I had to make some adjustments to a part.

Really, this kit (the H1) is rife for a ZM makeover. There are 3 types of plastic in the box with the black and silver/steel colour are harder than the standard grey we see in normal kits. This seems to me to have a knock on effect with fit, especially around the nose and wings with less flexability of these parts.

I will be very interested to see how the H0 variant which is all grey styrene and exactly the same kit with 1 part change and both normal and clear IP in the kit fits together. Of course, this will have a different camouflage!

snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight