Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Zoukei-Mura TA152H-1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Morris » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Excellent work still, it's really coming together. That metaliser painting you did, jumps also. I like that finish.
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Andy616 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Great job with the painting. I'm a big fan of the Ta 152 so I'm excited to see this completed.
Andy616
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:38 am

There are some of these kits still floating around. Domino has some

http://www.dominomodel.com/index.php?action=main

Click on Modelling and Figures tab and then scroll down until you come to Zoukei-Mura Super Wing Series. Click on that and then on Airplanes. It will bring up the whole list but then you can choose a category and scale so it will cut down the list. They have some reasonable prices and I have bought from them before.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:22 pm

This post sees me attach the front bit of the aircraft including radiators etc.

I decided that I wanted to be able to remove the prop and front section of the cowling to be able to show the radiators and mount. This, along wit the removeable top shows a nice bit of the engine, and while not all the engine still enables us to see the graceful lines of the aircraft.

I did have to make some alterations to a couple of parts as they didn't fit snugly and I was scratching my head for a while trying to reason out why! Eventually I came to the conclusion that during the design process there might have been a measuring error around the engine cowling and why this was not picked up during the test build phase I don't know. It could even be that the engine mounts are just a wee bit longer than they should be which would alter this area too.

Still... Alterations have to be made so let me show you what I did.

I cut back the oil cooler so that it didn't sit proud of the cowling. There is a mount recessed into the radiator mount, but when joined the mount doesn't fit correctly to the cowling. If you have the water pipes fitted you will have to cut those back too. It doesn't matter on this model as they would be hidden and not seen. If you are leaving one side of the cowling off then you will need to make several small adjustments to make it look all connected so many dry fits would be needed.

Next I had to make adjustments to the radiator mount.

The red circles show what I think could be a heat shield as part of the mount. I had to cut about 1mm off them so that the part would fit correctly. These were butting up against the cylinder heads and preventing a correct fit to the cowling parts.

next was fitting the prop shaft and parts. There is a bit of play in the fit but you must make sure that the two tab slots are horizontal because this is one of the areas where the radiator mount fits to. To provide a distinction between the mount and the parts I painted them with white aluminium

Once fixed I could then fit the radiator mount.

thanks to the alterations etc. the mount went on with no problems and all that remains is some clean up and repaint in some areas to neaten everything up.

Next the water and oil radiators were glued in place. Once again they were painted steel with a matt grey base with the grilles hand painted with Vallejo burnt iron to give a look of use.

The top was fitted to make sure that it butts up against the radiator mount. I dropped this into place prior to dry fitting the cowling front.

The cowling front, like the prop is designed so that it clicks into place. As I wanted these to be removeable again some adjustments were made so that the clich step in the 3 housings for the nose cowling piece were cut away leaving a slope. The cowling still fits tightly and sits in place just fine, because of that alteration it is also easier to take off.

The hole where the prop shaft goes into on the propeller was widened a little to prevent the click lock. The prop still fits snugly and again is easy to remove for display purposes.

The prop will get another coat of RLM 70 to sharpen things up also with a clear matt coat of varnish protection.

Finally for this post, the undercart is painted, finished and ready to go on. This will be covered in the next post

For those wanting to know more, the legs were primed and then a black gloss base put on the oleo and once cured, a coat of Xtreme metal chrome applied and again, once cured, a clear protective coat of AK shine enhancer. Once all cured, this area was masked off and then Vallejo's RLM 02 applied to the rest of the leg. Where the leg fits into the main wing spar, that was painted steel, to match.

When I am painting the nose area of the cowling I am seriously considering painting the front bit RLM 24 Red. What do you guys think?

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Loving this ,nice work on the grills . Got to get my hands on one of these soon :angry-banghead: :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:52 pm

And the finish on the oleos / very nice!
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Here's another update

Adding the undercart to these kits if you go by the instructions places them at risk of breaking - especially the plastic kit ones.

Let me explain

While building the wings, the instructions tell you to put on the leading edge. Later while adding the undercart you have to put them into the area and ten twist by 90 degrees. The actual fit is very tight and you stand about 70% change of breaking the kit undercart leg and any repair is always going to make that part very unstable for weight bearing.

This is the section

You can clearly see that once the leading edge is in place that the actual area that you are working in to add the leg and supporting strut is very tiny

My way is to leave off the leading edge part. In reality it can be added at any time. It is a tight fit part itself, but leaving it off until the undercart is in place gives you more room and means that you don't break the leg with any over force and twisting to get it into place.

Adding the main leg strut is now easy and is a push fit instead of a twist and break!

Also, adding the supporting brace and hydraulic cylinder can be a bit tight as you have to work around the gun barrel.

When in place and set the undercart is at the correct angles found in the maintenance manuals.

The leading edges can now be put in place.

The model does wobble a bit on the plastic legs. I think the metal replacements will probably be a more stable option.

There are now only external Ariel's etc to add and the undercart doors will be one of the last things as there are some decals to go on. Time to freshen up and fix the basic paint work.

The rear of the cockpit gets a fresh coat of RLM 66. It had sustained a few scratches and once the canopy is in place, I am not sure how much can be seen.

Front section of the canopy and the interior anti-glare panel and gunsight added. The masking will remain on until exterior painting is complete. I cut my own masks for this. There should be a set in the kit, but they went missing.

Preparation for base colours to be repainted and repaired

Some masking is now needed and once the RLM 76 and RLM 82 is freshened and any damage and demarcation lines sharpened up where needed and repainted then the camouflage and side mottling can be done. The Red and Yellow Defence of the Reich bands will be painted on. They are included on the decal sheet, but I think they will look better painted!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Very nice James
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks, Mark. Do you think the guys at the ZM stand will be impressed?
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Dunno about the ZM folk, but I'm impressed :dance:
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Lovely work Snapdragon's ,think ZM crew will love it. When you read the blog you can see the pleasure the Old Man gets when he talks about people building his products .
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 am

Im sure they will James
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Here's an update.

These are the last pictures before finished photos.

There are a couple of parts still to add, mainly the undercart covers and the cockpit pressurisation tubes. Apart from that, just some overspray correction and edge repair. Once that's done, decals and that's it!

Paint repaired on the radiator mount and neatened off with the engine cowling.

Once all the camouflage and mottling done the masks on the canopy were removed.

Defence of the Reich bands applied. The red was easy as it falls in exactly between panel lines. the yellow had to be measured and application angle for the forward line replicated from the decal sheet. Masking applied ( you can't have enough to cope with overspray!

I also decided du to some paint and masking issues on the radiator cowling that I would do the entire part RLM 23 Red. A bit of individuality! I had primed and painted part of the cowling and during masking for some reason even the primer refused to stick and most of the primer and paintwork already done came off! :angry-banghead: TO get round it I decided to just paint the entire thing red!

There we go. All there is to do now is to correct some overspray, detail paint the radiator cowling patch some paintwork, decals and add the remaining parts.

Next photos - the finished thing!

Comments, opinions etc. Welcome!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Lovely work Snapdragon's :clap: Why don't you mask the Swastika's etc :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I don't have any of those in my insignia box. The decals will do just fine.

I will have to look into those as various companies offer masking options for insignia. I need to investigate for the best ones and either vinyl or the yellow tape stuff and do some trials on something.

With a week to go to Telford I don't want to do something that is going to set me back being so close to finishing and going to the show.

The decals will do fine and there are options to make up serial numbers. Only 43 of these aircraft ever saw service and one survives. It would be nice to be able to restore that back to airworthiness and fly it alongside the FW190.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm

A very interesting & detailed build so far Snapdragon. 8-)
Looking forward to further posts. ;)
John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby casper » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 am

excellent build and diary snaps :clap: looking really good. The metal color paints are excellent
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Can you get the dry transfers ? I.e. the Letraset rub down type ? They might be a good, safe option if they are readily available.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Here we go - FINISHED!!! :dance:

Finally ready for Telford.

Due to the weather outside (raining like stink) I have had to take the finished photos indoors. It shouldn't matter much as I have used as much natural light as possible and no flash to get the colours in the right hues.

This was ZM's second release and they were still to a certain degree finding out what was possible at that time. To get the best out of this kit some of ZM's AM stuff is needed and some part alterations in also necessary fit wise - more around the engine and radiator covers than anything else.

Knowing what ZM kits are like now and their fit I would like to see ZM go back to this and their Shinden and re-tool them to sharpen up and make part alterations for fitting and add some extra detail that they missed first time around. Overall it is a nice build and you get a really good model of what the FW 190 series developed into. This aircraft had its faults and teething problems which were not fully ironed out being introduced in late January 1945 and the war finishing in May.

This aircraft turned out to be a very highly manoeuvrable aircraft and when in dogfighting combat actually out performed the late war spitfires, P-51D's and Tempests. There were not many produced - between 40 and 50 and due to servicing, problems and faults they were not seen very often by Allied pilots, but when engaged caused problems. Allied pilots could not really get the opportunity to work out any flaws etc. that would give them an advantage as it was usually hit and run.

Too little, too late!

Here's an little extra.... All the paints used on this model!

Comments welcome

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi James, only one comment from me, Superb. :clap: :clap: :clap: Have a great time at Telford, Ipms Avon of which I'm a member have a display there, pop by if you get a chance, shame I can't be there, maybe next year :pray:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight