Zoukei Mura Do335 A-12

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Zoukei Mura Do335 A-12

Sponsor

Sponsor

Zoukei Mura Do335 A-12

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi folks.

I couldn't help myself! This just has to be on my bench and I hope to get it done in time for my Christmas build and competition.

This is a re-release of their 2016 Do335 A0 kit with 2 new sprues to replace the fuselage fuel tank with a cockpit and the surrounds. The A-12 variant was a trainer and the pilots gave this Pfeil (Arrow) the nickname Ameisenbär (Ant-eater) as the overall shape resembled one!

ZM has done their usual bang up job and with their now signature opaque skin that houses spectacular interior detail leaves display options to the builders imagination. The only survivor in the smithsonion has a later war finish of RLM 81/82/76 but I fancy it will look really good with a hard edge splinter pattern of 74/75 with 76 under surfaces.

I will do an in-depth photo log build - or as much as I can to show just how much there is to do on these kits and just how far ZM have come from their original Shinden and Ta152 releases. I may have to put this aside for Christmas for the competition and 12 day build, but it will never be far away!

For a look inside the box please see my post in the appropriate section.

My build will start with.... the wings!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Zoukei Mura Do335 A-12

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:08 am

Time now to start.

I'm starting with the wings of which the main part of the wing build is to put the parts in place that make up the undercarriage housing. There are some smaller (and hard to paint parts) which go in another part of the wings but they will never be seen and so I'm not worried about adding them.

My finished result is to have a part of the upper section of the leading edge inboard unpainted to show the fuel tank there and some of the structure, the upper surface will be a RLM 74/75 splinter pattern with an undersurface of RLM 76. The wheel well will be painted RLM 02 along with any visible wing structure and Aluminium paint where needed on skin panels inside the fuel tank area.

Time to have a dry fit to see if there are any adjustments to make.

One very minor adjustment that needed quick trim with a sharp knife. Just a slight bit of flash that I hadn't seen and everything is fine!!!

Into the paint shop and let's rip with the paint! I'm only painting what can be seen there's no need to paint the entire structure. waste of time and paint! After that, some detail painting with steel paint and a fine brush.

Join the two together so they become the full width

I decided to have a dry fit with the exterior fuselage parts and to see how the wings fitted

The two new fuselage exterior parts fit perfectly!

Once the fuselage interior is in place and all stuck together, the wings should slot in with no problem.

More in a few days!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 am

Great start James, looking forward to the rest.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 am

Wow, SD - These ZM kits are cool - you're building stuff from the inside out it seems.....im watching :)
Morris
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks guys.

Not cheap and in many ways a learning experience, these kits never disappoint and, Morris, if you can get to grips with both airbrush and paint brush where needed then fabulous results can be done. Many ZM kits have won prizes in competitions.

Their up and coming Japanese Nick is set to be just a stunning build and with more than one variant in the box will have builders doing more than one.

While probably not as advanced in readiness, their HS 129 is set to be another winner with 3 variants of the b2 and one of the b3 with a stonking 50mm cannon fitted, and probably in such detail that I am already altering my most wanted and must have lists.

The old mans vision has truly altered aircraft model building and although not cheap you get more than your money pays for in learning and pleasure in a state-of-the-art product that has not only the real thing been looked at and copied, but the maintainance and repair manuals integrated into the kit as well to enhance the detail. The Shinden and Ta152 started this off and the series just kept on getting better!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Just ordered some stuff that in some cases vital to this build.

Most of the metal paints I have - the Vallejo Metal colour and AK's Xtreme metal is virtually impossible to put on with a normal brush and for me (unless I am doing it wrong) can't do in place or moulded on small detail with an airbrush where needed.

I keep Vallejo's Model Air metallic paints on my ready rack as they are thick enough when shaken well to be applied with a small paint brush to moulded on detail. This saves me the hassle and frustration of trying to mask some very tiny areas.

With this being a nose-sitter aircraft then I have to find away of making it sit right. HK in their kit engineered the front engine to have a weight sat inside it which works really well and doesn't compromise on detail. ZM however, notes very late in the build that you have to add 50 grammes of weight to make the aircraft sit correctly, but don't provide it (not even as an optional extra) or tell you where to put it. They must figure that their customers are advanced enough to do this without hand holding and fair comment. ZM's kits are not easy for beginners, but even with only a couple of kits under their belts and an ability to follow instructions, a novice could do a really good build job on these and learn much that would advance them quite quickly.

I will be using a new product to me which is called liquid metal and is easy to use. I will use this build as not only a learning experience for me but also a tutorial. I have worked out several places where this product can be located without being seen. the most obvious place is the front engine, but I will have to do a dry fit of that to work out what is possible. I have to also think about the load bearing on the engine fixing points to the fuselage. As I will be using the kit undercart which although quite chunky, the load bearing on the front wheel will have to be considered too!

Like I said.... more to this kit than meets the eye and you have sometimes to think outside the box !

I also have to figure out what display options I can do with the front engine and what I can get away with by maybe altering some of the panels around there to be removable and replaceable and will stay with no problems.... Maybe Tamiyas' miniature magnets may be the solution!

If anybody have any ideas over that then just post. I am sure that some good and interesting discussion will come out of it and everyone will learn something which is always good for us!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Looks to be a really fascinating build .Clearly needing lots of thought about technique & post build.
Nice start Snapdragon. Future posts should be interesting & educational. ;)
John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby steve131 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:47 pm

Great work so far ,what is this liquid metal , you will of course be testing it on scrap plastic before venturing on this stunner :?: Totes green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 pm

A full tutorial will be posted as part of this build. It won't be possible to test first on scrap paper due to the product and what it does. It is simple to use though...... supposedly :D

I will, also as promised do a step by step for etched parts.

I am expecting the postman with a large package to be kicking the bottom of the door tomorrow!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am

steve131 wrote:Great work so far ,what is this liquid metal , you will of course be testing it on scrap plastic before venturing on this stunner :?: Totes green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

As I understand, liquid metal, or liquid gravity as one vendor calls it, is fine lead shot (or similar) that you can pour into any suitable cavity in the model to add weight. E.g. the engine in a plane with a nose wheel to stop it being a tail sitter.
It can be fixed with various types of glue if necessary, I think. I’m sure Snap will give us the full run down.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Indeed I will give a full run down.

Everything has just arrived and I have been inspecting the stuff.

Spent a little more than I wanted to as I have had to replace my 0.4 nozzle and my 0.2 needle of which I somehow managed to bend the tip! Also got some more masking tape. You do use quite a bit on these builds and it makes sense to have plenty around of various widths.

The weight product is Liquid Gravity from Deluxe Materials and are very tiny weight balls. The fixing agent is Deluxe Materials' Roket Hot which is a super thin penetrating CA. I think that there is a product called liquid metal and it is the same thing. Swings and roundabouts!

Now I can have a play with the front engine. With some thought and painting it promises to be a bit of a looker!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Here we go with another update.

The stuff arrived by harassed postman and I have spent a day figuring out the best places to put the liquid gravity.To use it effectively and retain all the detail I am going to have to alter build sequences from the manual and be thoughtful and devious where I put the stuff.

Here are the parts that I am going to fill first.

Yes. The cylinder blocks. ZM even cast pistons etc into them. Not sure quite why as there's no inner detail in the crank case. I suppose it is in keeping with their detail concept.

Here's the stuff that will be used to glue the liquid gravity in place.

It is super thin and you have to be VERY careful where this goes.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/roket- ... -ac20.html

You need these to control this stuff properly or else there will be lots of mess and lots of :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Now then. Liquid gravity itself:

Thank goodness I have a good camera setup with macro lenses that are good! When using this product work on white paper/card. DO NOT consider anything else so you can see where the damn things are going. a pait of fine pointed tweezers are useful for grabbing stray ones that show up on the white background.

I start by filling the parts of the cylinders that won't be seen

Notice how just that half is done level. A couple of drops of the liquid CA is put in and let set. Once the cylinders are fully built up then they are filled in the bottom of the pistons and another drop of glue to keep them in place. when both cylinder banks are done then they are glued normally to the crank case and wait while it is all set.

I started filling the crank case and quickly realised that the build sequence will just have to be modified which will probably mean that the prop won't turn. No problem really.

Parts were added or dry fitted in place to seal up holes that the liquid gravity could escape through and then the case was filled up gradually adding the glue as I went to make sure that everything stuck.

I am nut up on metric weights and measures and I am not sure at all if I have enough just in the engine and so I will add liquid gravity to other parts in the nose area as the build progresses. The build manual says to put 50g in but I have no idea what 50g is, so there will be plenty of dry fits as things go on to see if I have to find more areas to put the stuff in or not. HK's way of a weight to put in the front engine is a very simple and elegant way of doing it!

The engine does feel heavier, but I am not sure that it is 50g heavier!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Looks very useful James. There are two ways (at least) that you can check it you've added enough. 50g is just under 2 oz. Weigh the engine. Not sure what the plastic will weigh, but you can estimate from weighing similar sized parts. Guessing it's not much.
Secondly, the full bottle is (I think) 240g. That's 8.5 oz. Weigh the bottle, see if you've got more than 6.5 oz left. If you're really picky, weigh the empty bottle (and I take no responsibility for little balls all over the carpet !) and subtract that, or weight just the balls left.
Thirdly, measure the height of the remaining balls, and see if you've used just over 1/5 the bottle. (See, I said at least)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Too much maths for a Sunday! :laughing-rolling: I am also going to add some to the forward prop, I will see if I can get some into the radiator and also into the 30 and 20mm ammunition storage as well as the nose wheel itself.

I had thought about putting some into the oil tanks just aft of the front cockpit, but the instructions say that it has to be forward of the leading edge.

still... this is a good exercise in outside the box thinking and a learning experience!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 pm

snapdragon wrote:Too much maths for a Sunday! :laughing-rolling: I am also going to add some to the forward prop, I will see if I can get some into the radiator and also into the 30 and 20mm ammunition storage as well as the nose wheel itself.

I had thought about putting some into the oil tanks just aft of the front cockpit, but the instructions say that it has to be forward of the leading edge.

still... this is a good exercise in outside the box thinking and a learning experience!

Personally, I'd have left out the pistons and put more in the engine. However, that's somewhat academic now. Anyway, the further forward you get the weight, the better the effect, but anywhere forward of the main wheels will have a positive effect.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 pm

The pistons are part of the mould. If you look at the pics I took while the cylinder sides were still on the sprue you can see that they are moulded in place.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:39 pm

We are back to "balls" again :laughing-rolling: sorry James I could not resist it.
no more ball jokes.
;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 am

These aren't big balls, they're small balls and they are stuck together not hanging free!! :laughing-rolling:

No problem Wingnut. I'm always up for a bit of fun... It's the medication you see... :shock:

In actual fact.. I've lots of small balls all over my desk. I could get in to trouble over this if all these stray balls are seen! :laughing-rolling:
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:54 am

snapdragon wrote:The pistons are part of the mould. If you look at the pics I took while the cylinder sides were still on the sprue you can see that they are moulded in place.

Ah, I see now.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Another update for you all.

There has been assembly, priming and painting of control surfaces and work continues on the wings.

On the port side I am leaving a section of the leading edge unpainted so you can see the interior structure and fuel tank. THe upper exterior cover of the wing will remain unpainted in that area while the lower receives the undersurface colour and inside some aluminium paint that will make it look like metal.

The fuel tanks were assembled and painted. Stylnrez Gloss black (not quite gloss actually) primer was used with the straps being hand painted in Vallejo model air steel. This was then glued to the lower wing exterior

This was looking good and I then glued in place the interior wing structure. Much to my dismay and some Image the frames covered the vary carefully painted and time consuming fixing brackets.

However, after priming and painting with the upper base coat of RLM 75 with that area masked it doesn't look too bad!

The starboard side was assembled. Only one or two areas actually needed clamping. the fit was perfect all the way with just a couple of areas in the wing root that needed some assistance to stick!

I added the flight control surfaces and flaps, again painting the upper surface RLM 75 and this now need some of the RLM 74 splinter pattern doing which is my very next task.

This will give you a feel for the overall look.

I also took the opportunity to prime the fuselage halves and other bits with stylnrez Metal Primer. It also gives me a chance to show you the detail that ZM have put on the inside around the bomb bay etc. It is not very clear what's there as the sides arou done in clear opaque plastic, but when primer is done to both sides it shows up.

I used their metal primer as it will give a metal look if the top coat paint gets scratched or damaged and thus give a used appearance without all the special effects hassle and using all the techniques involved!

I am also using it as a test to see how well paint sticks to it. Stylnrez covers very well and it is a very nice primer but it tends to have a bot of a rough finish, but I am told that it will sand smooth with some really very fine grade paper. of course, the rough opaque finish that ZM use is not helping! I wish they would drop that and just produce the parts like the cockpit glass - stunningly clear and smooth. if we need to roughtn the parts for things to stick we can give it a rub with 12,000 grit or something!

With these ZM kits sometimes you have to work inside out and outside in! Occasionally you have to jump around a little bit. These kits are modular in a certain way and you really have to spend lots of time reading the instruction book(s) and all the comments/information to really understand the build and aim of the kit. They are really an education tool in a certain way and you do end up in the designers mind a little bit - or at least understanding their aim. In this instance the Do335 was produced to compete with and tackle the Mosquito which was the RAF's multi role aircraft.

I was going to alter this build and add radar, but I get the distinct feeling that in the future from both HKM and ZM we are going to get the A6 Nightfighter variant which has radar. It's just a waiting game!

Next up... Putting part of the splinter pattern onto the wings and probably more of the internals.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight