Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:39 am

Well... Here we go!

I was going to wait until the official release and see what extra parts were on offer but the call of the kit was just too much to resist and I have been building some interior parts and going through the paint list in the manual and making changes to more accurate colours. These changes will be emailed back to ZM and the Old Man himself. While I have still to get some colours, these are insignia and ID colours and I don't need them as yet.

This, the first release of the Ki-45 allows us to build the long nose late variant with 37mm cannon and 2 20mm cannon (Ho5) in a Schrage Musik configuration just behind the cockpit. There are also parts to produce the very last variant with a changed exhaust and no weapons as a special ramming/kamikaze aircraft. But, looking through the parts there are the parts in there to also produce the Early long nose variant too, but this is not covered in the manual and this will probably be another release, along with a short nose version. The 20mm cannon comes with separate barrels both with and without muzzle flash eliminators as does the nose 30mm for the early and late variants. the 20mm has canvas covers moulded to the barrels and drop into place once the external canopy is fixed.

All the external parts are duplicated both in grey styrene and in a frosted clear styrene. It would have been nice to have the clear exterior done from a polished mould, but it seems that ZM's policy is to save costs a little bit and give us a frosted clear as both are done in the same mould. with both included in the kit it does increase the price a little, but also gives the modeller a huge display choice. the downside is that you cannot see the interior very clearly and all the detail that there is in there. I don't know what ZM has get in the way of feedback over this from the Horten Flying wing kit, but I would push to have crystal clear fuselage sides etc from polished moulds. Before readers start shouting at me, I would like to point out that it's easy to paint these or not as you wish and it will give you a much clearer view inside.

The clear cockpit sprue is up to ZM's high standard and included in box is a their green ready cut mask set. I do wish they would go with the yellow masking tape, but at least this is one company who has the foresight to include one!

There is tons of detail in this kit and with no additional work a just out of the box build will look simply stunning. Zoukei Mura has pushed moulding technology to its limit again and come out with a stunning large scale aircraft kit that just keeps on giving.

If they do decide to push into 1/24 scale then Airfix is going to have a real competitor on their hands but at this moment, although a small family run company Zoukei-Mura is showing the big boys how to do large scale 1/32 kits.

Japanese Aircraft fans are going to love this but any large scale aircraft builder is just going to love getting to grips with this dragon of the pacific skies and I am sure will be gracing competition tables next year!

I have changed the colour call outs in the kit manual and will post them during the build to aid those who want closer colours.

I see a UK RRP of £110 and there will be some sucking of teeth, but with the size of this twin engine aircraft and duplication of exterior parts giving the builder some interesting display and painting options then this kit is value for money.

What we need now from HK models is a 1/32 B29!

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Postby Morris » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:13 am

oh yay-uuh! - B29 superfort - ....that'd do
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 pm

So! Here we go!

All the time I am building the interior I have in my mind that the exterior parts that I will be using are clear, but have a kind of frosting on them which lessens the detail that can be seen.

This in turn made me think very much about all the detail on the engines and in a lot of respects turned my hand away from the manual paint colours and towards much brighter and stronger metals, while the support structure remained the original colour used on these aircraft from mid 1943 onwards..... and that took some finding and very much to my surprise of Afrika Korps origins!

The first things were to put the base engine parts together and have a dry fit just to give me an overall impression of what is going to be seen and what isn't.

Next we split them down for painting

Believe it for not, over those two base engines there are 22 parts!

So, this is how the parts look after painting.

The colours are:

Cylinder blocks: AK Xtreme Metal stainless steel
Push rods and mounts AK Xtreme Metal Steel. What would the be the moving parts of the push rods painted with Vallejo Model Air Metal Black
Prop reduction gear, not yet painted.
Radiator - AK Xtreme Metal Copper
Air intake cylinder feeds AK Xtreme Colour Titanium. This just takes the colour variance away a little bit from the stainless steel cylinder blocks.

Here they are together. I recommend that you take your time in getting them lined up properly or you will not get them sitting correctly on the mount. Dry fit as much as possible. The colours don't show up as properly as I would like as the weather here is dark and cloudy and I am having to photograph in artificial light instead of natural daylight. You can still see the tonal variances between the colours used that keeps the eye moving over the detail.

I moved on to the propellers and prepared to paint the insides of the parts and on a dry fit saw that there was no need to get the aluninium out and so just primed and painted the lot with Vallejo Model Air IJN Medium Brown 71.418 which is the corect brown for props for both IJN/IJAAF. You can only get this when you buy their IJN set. I also suspect that the IJAAF colour dark beige 71.416 only available in their IJAAF set is nearly the same colour. Still, both sets are worth getting as they will cover most if not all painting options for Japanese aircraft. The only thing to add is the warning ID colour which comes on the decal set, but can be painted on.

I decided to paint the exhaust pipes Vallejo Metal Colour Burnt Iron rather than start messing about with the manuals mixing colours and painted the engine support structure what will be the interior colour which after much research and going through my copious notes proved to be Vallejo Model Air 71.116 RAL 7008. This is actually an Afrika Corps colour and matches the interior of the Nick with only a 2% variance from the original Japanese chipset colour. this isn't recognisable by our eyes at all!!!

The Prop reduction gear part was primed and painted along with detail painting the radiator. The radiator mounts which also mount part of the cowling were painted in RAL 7008 while the actual reduction gear case was painted in Vallejo 71.054 RAL 7024 which is exactly the right colour for the case but is not listed in the manual.

The auxillary gear that fits in the rear of the engine mount was painted with Vallejo 71.326 which is the correct colour with the rubber sleves being Vallejo 71.315 Tyre Black which is a good colour to simulate rubber. Air tintakes that sit on top of this were painted with AK Xtreme Metal Polished aluminium on a matt grey primer.

I have also built the 20 mm dual mount and that's been painted Vallejo Metal Colour Magnesium

While the rear gunner's spent cartridge bing gets the AK Xtreme Metal polished Aluminium, again on a matt grey primer

Next up is the main spar and beginning of the cockpit.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Very nice - them engines pop!
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby number1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Superb start, very informative..
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Great work , lovely kit .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Another update to this build.

The main star is the base of the aircraft and it is off this that the entire build goes.

Cockpit base and central fuel tank.
This is painted in the interior colour while the undersurface is AK Xtreme metal aluminium and the fuel tank is stainless steel. There is still some detail painting to do.

Frames added and the previously done 20mm mount dry fitted. Detail still to paint and there's more to be added to this area later in the build.

overhead view

Structural frames added to enclose the central fuel tank... AK Aluminium.

Dry fit of wing fuel tanks. These are painted in XK stainless steel to make them stand out from the Aluminium airframe and spars.

upper surface clear wing fit to see what can be seen.

That's all for now. apart from what's coming next. We start on the office with these parts.....

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Lots of parts in the cockpit! Going to be a very detailed model.

With regard to the 'frosted' finish in the inside of the clear parts, The Tamiya Corsair had the same, but the instructions said you could make it clearer with a heavy cost of gloss clear. Have to admit, I didn't try it. Perhaps worth testing if you have a similar part you're not going to use, as a sacrifice to the clear view god! I don't think I'd risk a kit part without trying it first.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:34 pm

That's a great idea, Mark. The "Frosted" finish is actually on the exterior

Also there's this that I could try:

https://ak-interactive.com/product/gauzy-agent-glass-coat/
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm

The more I think about this then the more ideas I get!!! :o

If I get the AK product to try, and ther are plenty of spare clear parts to test out then I could very much do a mix and match job.

Some parts are clearly too big and awkward to go dipping therefore I will probably leave frosting on the main fuselage and wings, but try and go super clear with the engine covers as well as the normal exterior paint finish, masking off what I want clear... mainly around the wing tanks on the port side.

This could be a fun experiment but I am unsure about what to do with the nose cone at this moment. I do want to be able to display the 30mm cannon and mount and maybe I should go half half.... I don't see any way to make the nose cone removeable and dipping could be a problem!

maybe someone else has an idea?

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Can you show us the part, and perhaps the page from the instructions? I'll put my thinking cap on.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:40 pm

As ever great work ,the paint is knocking this stunner out the ball park . How many more of these and the Duck are you going to get :?:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Having the kit in front of me and diving into it shows that there are different depths and of the 6 original short and long nose that they propose this first kit has the late and special attack long nose variants and it does initially look like the parts for the long nose early are in here too but no reference is made to those parts.

As for the duck - Hs129 I presume you mean, it depends on how they are packaged as I do want to display at least 1 of each armament option with the main gun duplicated externally.

I'll post the nose a little later
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:45 pm

Here's another update.

I'm starting with the nose cone.

This just glues on to the front of the aircraft. There's no way to make it removeable or anything like that. There are two in the kit the "clear one and a standard styrene grey one.
Inside this nose is a honking great 37mm cannon which I would like to be seen through the nose cone, but at the same time I want part of the nose to be painted.

After some thinking I came up with this:

The area marked in red is to be left unpainted. the inside starboard side (right) will be painted in aluminium to bounce light around the 37mm gun and the exterior painted and camouflaged as per the overall paint job.

I would appreciate any further ideas on this from those following this build log!

The cockpit is taking shape and I am going to deviate from the instruction book a little bit.

Lots of painting and detailing has taken place

Now it's time to build off our main wing spar platform.

The right hand sidewall detail is actually decals. I expect that in the full release and extras Eduard will have done these as glue on painted panels.

Pilots armour and detail

rear cockpit

Start of instrument panel. I am using the clear version as it is easier and quicker to do and the result will look just great. I have put some Vallejo Liquid Mask into the dials so that when the painting is done they will still be clear.

There is a decal on the sheet that goes on to the rear of this with some help from Vallejo's Decal Fix. After that the entire panel both sides will be painted with AK Air Series Q1 Blue Black which is the Japanese anti-glare colour.

That's next time, folks Also the finishing of the cockpit area and Maybe one or two other things!

Comments, questions and ideas welcome

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 am

This is super duper awesome SD !!!!
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Looking very tidy James.

My only other suggestion for the nose cone would be to cut out the section marked in red, but that may not be the effect that you're looking for. Perhaps open out the access panel?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 pm

:clap: very nice , i would do one whole side painted and other fully clear :think: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Stunning kit.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:23 am

:clap: awesome build james, some fantastic details and painting
K on the way :clap:
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks guys.

I am currently doing some tests on spare "clear" parts and the Gauzy intermediate shine I have that I put over the AK metals to protect them. I may also do the same with Vallejo's Gloss Metal Varnish. It looks like both exterior and interior faces will have to be done.

I don't particularly want to take a saw to these parts and after messing about with the interior build and the fuselage pieces and looking at what you don't put into this version which is the rear machine gun and the belly mounted Ho-3 20mm means that most of the clear parts I won't be using. I will use the standard fuselage parts apart from the upward firing dual 20mm mount cover and the clear cover on the nose and the covers over one engine and upper wing on the left side for the fuel tanks. Even when the clear cockpit canopy is installed you can see really well into the cockpit front and back which makes the clear fuselage sides redundant as quite a lot of wiring etc is moulded to this and to get the correct effect of the wiring detail when looking from the outside would mean removing all that detail and in the process probably damaging the clear parts and replacing with brass wire. It makes more sense just to use the normal grey styrene parts.

I have done this and they are in the paint shop just waiting to be primed and painted.

What I actually wanted to build was a long nose version with 37mm nose gun, belly mounted 20mm, upward firing 20mm twin mount and rear MG mounted with the ammunition storage just aft of the rear cockpit. This is not one of the options available and if you want the belly 20mm installed then you don't put in the 20mm twin mount (made by Kawasaki).

According to the Old Man Blog, there are 4 long nose variants. The first kit release (this one) has the late variant (37mm and twin upward firing 20mm weapons) and the unarmed special attack variant. The next release I presume will be the Early (nose 37mm, upward twin 20mm and rear MG) variant and the Kawasaki build (Nose 37mm, belly 20mm, rear MG).

The Short Nose package will have 2 options, or could be two separate kits.

1. Kai Ko - 2 nose mounted Ho 103 12.7mm cannon (essentially a Browning .50) belly 20mm cannon, rear mounted MG
2. Kai Hei (Army Air Arsenal) 37mm nose cannon, 20mm belly cannon, rear MG.

All airframes look the same apart from antennae mount position. In this current release there are 2 different barrel types for the 37 and twin 20mm mount and according to the instructions you use the barrels without the flash hiders on them.

Instead of the all over green of the Late Variant I wanted to do the patch job of the unarmed special attack variant with the late variant decals, but was unsure that particular squadron had that camo on their aircraft until I found this:

This matches the decals in the kit but I do want to try and paint the majority of the decals onto the kit if I can. I do have some masking sheets so I wondered if scanning those decals then printing them and curring out to mark out the masking sheets would work!

Ideas, thoughts etc welcome.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Just a small update with reference to Caspar's build....

First off, the centre section of the cockpit has been installed and only one part remaining, but I need to refit the 20mm cannon mount and make some slight adjustment to the fit.

Moving on to masking and the IP panel.

Here's a photo of the IP with the dials etc masked.

Using quite warm water I start soaking the decal and while that is in the bowl apply decal fix to the BACK of thepanel and then put the decal on face side down so the dials will show through and let dry for an hour or so.

Al all over coat with no primer onto the part front and back with AK Q1 Blue Black anti glare for Japanese aircraft.

Then using a specially sharpened cocktail stick I remove the liquid mask. it does take time and a cocktail stick is the best way as it is not going to scratch anything!

Just some fine detail painting with red, yellow and silver and it can go in to the front office! Jobs a good one!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight