Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Zoukei-Mura 1/32 Ki-45 "Nick"

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:28 am

He was tempted at Telford! As he was looking at all the plastic in the box you could see his eyes start to gleam and I think he was trying to work out an explanation for SWMBO for going back home with a large box!

on a slightly different tack, A Lancaster special edition will be arriving in January. I did get the browning barrel pack from Master Models at Telford and also the instrument panel(s) from Airscale, but to me they look a bit rushed. I wonder what Eduard will be producing and probably will wait a bit until they release their sets. This won't stop me from digging around the box and photographing it for you guys!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Ok.. on with the build after the Christmas break!

Most of the build is complete, but there are still parts to add and it is time to do some work on the exterior and add the camo scheme.... well the masking for it!

First, though, the engine cowlings. Pay special attention to the fit. I had to make a couple of very slight alterations, but it was minor stuff and easy to do.

That's all for the moment.

Questions and comments welcome.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 am

Cutting out that masking must have been fun!! Full marks for patience!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am

Pencil, sharp knife and music! Karaoke time! :laughing-rolling: :violin:
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 pm

This is all kinds of awesome - K given for masking work!!!
Morris

'Phase 8' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :( on the 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1)
1/72 Hasegawa B-47 in progress
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks for the K Morris.

These builds when logged right can teach others and show techniques and alternative ways to get stuff done!

Here's another update. It doesn't seem to have progressed much, but there has been quite a lot of work.

The pilots gunsight has been painted and built and added

This means that we can add the windshield and the upper gunsight for the "Schrage Musik" gun installation behind the pilot. The interior was cleaned with some washing up detergent, water and cotton bud to remove any grease and fingerprints etc!

Also added were the rear gunner cockpit canopy, mounts etc with cleaning done as above proir to fixing.

Camo masking can now proceed down the fuselage. Some of the canopy parts are dry fitted so that accurate masking can take place by moving the parts as needed and then painting off the model and added in the correct opened position so they might look a bit odd, but they do match up! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :D

The canopy part that covers the "Schrage Musik" is dry fitted as once painted the windows can be fitted from the inside and there's no need for masking. Sometimes working backwards and making plans means that while moving forwards can take a while, some things become easier to deal with!

There are some parts to deal with underneath but the main painting needs to be done first.

This will look very different next time!

Questions and comments welcome!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Here's another update.

There has been a huge change in the look of the Nick!

All the time I have been a little worried about just how the outcome of my endeavours would be and I had an image in my minds eye. Much work and Tamiya sheet masking paper has gone into this (and we are not finished yet).

I don't know if I can finish in time for the Huddersfield/halifax model show on the 10th February and I am not going to rush the job and this stage has taken longer than I thought it would.

Choosing the pale green to be the "base" coat is a very big contrast to the IJN Dark Green. In my mind there is an image I am trying to get!

The coat is now done and it is time to remove the masking using a cocktail stick and some.... Beach Boys music!!!

There are some parts and areas that were masked off from the beginning as I wanted the viewer to be able to see some of the interior components.
I am really pleased with the result although there is some touching up and paint tamage to repair which will be done with a paint brushas I don't want the feathered edges that an air brush will do.

What do you guys think of this??????

Now it is time to work on the national insignia and PAINT that on!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:25 pm

James, that camo is all kinds of awesome! :o
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Very impressive James
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 pm

what an excellent job on the camp mask snaps, first class mate well done. K on the way :clap: :clap: :D
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby number1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 pm

:text-goodpost: A well deserved K from me too.
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Thanks for the K's guys.

Over the past couple of days I think I have learned much about painting insignia on.

This is the image I found and the decals in the kit cover this squadron

Rather than start playing with some huge decals I have decided to paint them on. White and red are colours that are not east to deal with and paint on but it was preferable to me rather than go down the gloss decal, solution, matt coats road.

Maketar do Japanese insignia masks so bought a set and using cut out decals I started setting out the white base. I looked for a reference point to start from and the masks gave me this by starting with the aileron wing trim tab as my anchor point.

The same technique was used on the fuselage, but having to cut a curve was not an easy task and it turned out nearly right.... close enough anyway! My point of reference was the navigation light on the upper fuselage

There is another white band to do just forward of the tail, but I think that I will use the decal for that. Also the red and white fuselage stripe will not be easy and I will use the decals for the tail as I just can't produce a mask for that!!!

I add the masks for the wing insignis using the 1300mm masks from the Maketar set. I looked carefully at the colour profile in the build manual and decided the anchor point would be the inboard edge of the white panel line that intersetcs the wing and the alieron.

This put the "meatball" right on the spot from the colour profiles in the manual. I was concerned that I might have to spend ages measuring and marking out!

Plenty of masking tape to catch overspray. I have been caught out by this before and I do work very close to minimise this also!

I am using Vallejo 71.102 Fire Red for the insignia It is a little darker than the RAL 3000 red I was going to use, but the white background and the pale green of the base coat will make our brain lighten the red!

I am not going to remove the masks just yet as I can see a difference in the red paint and so once it dried properly I will check it again as it might need another coat.

This has made me think that doing insignia like this on top of the camo may not be a good idea as colours underneath (despite the white base) will change the shade. Maybe it is a good idea to do the insignia ditectly onto the primer and then mask that off until the camo coat is done. That way the colours are not prone to blotch shading.

I will welcome thoughts, comments and discussion on that.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Appears to be working okay the way you're doing it now, James??....awesome painting man,
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Great work ,I awarded :clap:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 pm

More work has been done.

Painting on the insignia is something that maybe I didn't think or plan for properly despite using kit decals as templates when it comes to the fuselage. Nothing seems to fit or look right or join up where it should. I am sure that it is me... but there again I am not sure!

After masking the fuselage everything comes together... I think!

Now it sooks ok. there has been some bleeding so further remedial work is needed.

After careful looking, I decided that although a temple was made from the decal, the white background edges needed attention so the area was masked again. Also the red/white stripe was fixed in place for marking out and it didn't fit according to the paint/decal profiles in the manual as far as it going to meet the white band.

It was the same on both sides!

My immediate question was why?
The white stripe was applied according to the manual using the upper fuselage navigation light as the anchor point and the decals as templates... The curves on the outside of the template were not perfect so I am wondering if the decals were not quite right or I have just messed up big time, but it still looks right!

Corrections to the red meatball bleeds and I redid the edges of the white background. It has the unfortunate effect of making the white fuselage band look a little odd as the meatball is now a little off centre.

I decided to mask off the stripes by no.1 eyeball using the point under the canoy as the snchor point and run them down to the white band as close to the original as I could get them

to produce the white border 0.7mm tape will be used to mask inside the current masked off area

Ok. the white is done. I need to leave this overnight to make sure the white is properly dry!

more next time.... will it be a success or....

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Here we go.

I stuck with 0.7mm tape to produce the white border.

First here's the marking out of the white and sprayed.

Then the border is masked

Red RAL 3000 is allplied to full depth

All the tape is removed and this is the result

It looks quite good. There are some tiny errors but I don't think they are noticeable if you are not looking for them!

Now I have to do the yellow on the leading wing edges!

Comments and questions etc. welcome

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm

WOW James - K given on that piece of work!
Morris

Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Worked really well 8-) looking good.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Does anyone have any ideas how I can produce masks for these two decals?

I have been thinking about it quite a while. Maybe some fresh eyes will provide the answer
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:12 pm

With all those curves and the thin white border? Sorry, I haven't a clue!!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight