Zoukei Mura Shinden

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Zoukei Mura Shinden

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Morris » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Beautiful work, James - :clap:
Morris

Posted 'Phase 6&7' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America now posted
In Very Slow (currently in a holding pattern :()progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
HKM B17-F Memphis Belle- turrets (upper and ball) ....BOTY submission
Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sun May 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks Morris.

Sometimes you have to work out of sequence. There can be reasons behind this and on the Shinden kit I have decided it is easier to fit the nose in place permanently first and paint it and then add the cannons into the bay. The reason is that it is easier to paint the exterior and the cannons and then to avoid overspray and damaging the cannon paintwork (brass barrels are not the easiest thing to keep paint on) and place them into position, sliding them into the apatures in the nose rather than building them in to the bay and try sliding the nose section over the muzzles as there is a greater risk of damage to exterior paint and cannon paint.

The cannons and mounting parts are built up. The barrels are replaced with metal ones. There are left and right front and rear cannons and mounts. You have to keep them separate!

I also took the opportunity to build and make slight adjustments to the undercarriage doors, adding the detail etched set.

Primed and ready to paint. The cannons themselves will be painted with Vallejo Model Color Magnesium, while the mounts and feeds will be Xtreme Metal Dark Aluminium.

Time to get the exterior done. An overall coat of IJN Grey was done and once totally cured a splinter pattern of 6mm and 2.5mm tape was laid out as well as masking off the lower demarcation line.

I then started with the darkest green in Vallejo's IJN set and painted the upper surface making sure that the paint went to the full hue. The room today, despite lights was dark having a green overcast from trees outside the window. It is also dark and raining a little, which affects the cameras sensor and firmware.

Once done, I gave my airbrush a in depth clean to give the paint chance to settle a little and then started to remove the masking tape. I was going for quite a vibrant splinter pattern using two really contrasting and authentic colours with clear demarcation hard lines and thickness'. I think I have succeeded!

Has it worked????

I think so. WIll be better when we got some proper light round here!!!

Next, once the green has cured properly is the masking for the ID yellow and other painting jobs including insignia and walkway notices etc. I only really want to use the text from the decal sheet if at all possible! THis stage will be photographed and may take a few posts, but I think that it is better as it will probably help members with techniques etc.

Comments andquestions welcome

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Great work looking good. 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Mon May 27, 2019 2:06 pm

I bet masking for that splinter pattern takes some forthought, James? :o
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Mon May 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks Steve.

In actual fact Morris, It didn't. I did it on the fly and made it up as I went along. Just let the creative streak loose but be prepared to put a brake on it at some point. I had an image in my mind and just started sticking strips on!

The Yellow is done. It is a horrible colour to work with and get right.

Once again it is all down to masking. Here's all of the masking in place. With the wings I decided to move the ID markers further out on the leading edge and used distinctive markers/detail on both upper and lower wings that match up.

A closer look. The engine cowls, actually forwards of the engine that control airflow into the engine are different on each side. this means that the yellow warning line is in different places and while may look a bot odd are there to prevent damage to the moveable parts. I decided to mask and paint these markings rather than use the decals as I wanted a thinner and slightly different look.

The wing ID markings match on both sides

This is the colour. This matches exactly the Japanese ID and prop tips colour!

Done! It takes time to build up the colour, especially on darker colours and the contrast when done can be qwuite striking. This is why I do like Vallejo paints as they have lots of pigment compared to other brands. I lowered the airflow pressure a little bit for this.

Once done I remove the masking as soon as the airbrush is clean. this is to prevent the paint completley curing on the masking tape and maybe coming off the model with the tape. it also keeps the edges sharp and defined.

You can see that the wing ID markers stand out.

Next post I put an anti-glare strip on the nose using AK-s Japanese Blue-Black Q1 colour.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Amazing job again James :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Great work , your right about getting the time right to take the masking tape off ,pulled several coats off leaving it too long :angry-banghead: . See you wont get the Hellcat until longest day of the year now :(
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Airfix did it with the Tiffy kits too!

For some reason there's always a delay or something. Could be a marketing ploy, but I bet it is some muck up with the manufacturing in INDIA or shipping.

Never mind. It will get here eventually!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Moving on with the Shinden

As I am doing this build with a '46 paint job then it does give me leeway with stencils, insignia etc.

I decided to use the Q1 Blue-Black colour to put on and anti-glare patch on the nose and extend it down the front of the nose. First of all I need to have all the elements in place. I glued the cowling in place, forgetting about the canard wings... I should be able to put those in last thing. I wanted to do it before the cowling was glued in place but the Hamster came off the wheel!

The cowling with the cannon ports is not symmetrical with placement of panels etc so you have to be devious and mark the centre line. To do this I used the cannon bay covers as the joining area gives you the centre line.

Using 6mm tape I marked out the painting area from nose back to cockpit using the 2mm centreline tape as my base

It was taken off and re-laid a few times until I wad happy. What you have to keep in mind is that because of the shape and curves of the aircraft it creates an optical illusion with lies. To get around this you use known fixed points that you are using to lay the tape.

I then put on the exterior masking tape which makes the outer edge of the anti-glare panel, butting it up to the take already on

Once done You remove the centre tapes and you have an oblong panel over a rounded surface that has an optical illusion of getting thinner…. but it doesn't!

Mask off the section of the windshield that doesn't want painting black and paint the area

Remove all masking and you have an antiglare panel

Add the nose cone painted in the same colour

On removing the masking tape from the windscreen there is this

I think it is glue and I have no idea how it got there or how to get rid of it, but there has been "words".

Next is marking out the no walk panels on the wings. First the panels inside the panel lines were marked out with 1.5mm tape where the paint was going to go.

You have to be as accurate laying the tape as you can

Mask around and INSIDE the tape you laid and once complete remove the original tape. butt the tape together as thise are your painting lines.

I remembered that at this stage I had not glued tail fins in place. THey need some paint correction and markings before going back on. I will also dip into my Archer Dry Transfer box and pinch some Panzer Numbers!

Paint with RAL 3000. Like Yellow and White, Red is a nastu colour to work with and it will take time to build up the colour depth, especially on to dark backgrounds.

Remove the tape

And you have Do Not Walk panels. Sometimes decals are easier, sometimes you just have to go that extra mile!

Comments and questions etc welcome.

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Eric » Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Most impressive James, lots of nice detailing in there! :clap:
Building;
HMS Hood
Tiger Tank
RMS Titanic

Built;
Bismarck
Eric
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:31 pm

Agree about going extra mile worth it . Paint looks more natural because that's on real thing . Heavy duty with the wind shield :angry-banghead: ,might be able to polish it out :think: .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:56 am

I have a razor saw coming and I am going to attempt surgery of the closed canopy part to separate the windshield.

I have mislaid the decal sheet so I think I won't be able to put on the Japanese text. As it is a '46 scheme I don't think it matters much at all! I do have some repainting of the tail fins and some red warning lines to paint on as well as the canard wings at the front and then the undercart. There is some paint fixing to do but it is very close to being finished!

Once this is done I can launch myself into Lancaster Land with the Dambuster variant for the competition. Maketar masks are (supposedly) doing squadron codes and serial numbers for me and I will purchase their insignia set as well as Top Notch camouflage masks.

HGW have so far failed to come up with their promised seatbelt set for the Lancaster so I have ordered Eduards set as well as their radiator set. These should arrive next week at some point I already have their cockpit set and Master models Barrels set. Not much will be seen inside the Lancaster apart from the cockpit and turrets and I may spring for DN models' Masking set too as it has both inside and outside masks. Although this also has the full interior, there is no clear fuselage, so unlike Morris' B-17 it is mainly an exterior kit build with a stunning (hopefully) accurate paint job with very little decals used! I will be adding wiring around the front and rear turrets and also adding some extra stuff to the cockpit ontop of Eduards stuff.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:04 am

Have you seen ZM released some brass struts for the Ki now :?: Looking forward to seeing your VC winner .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Nearly done now.

The decal sheet has now shown up, but I have decided not to add the Japanese writing. One of the main things I had planned was the insignia. For this I use Maketar Masks set.

Once the wing insignia is in place I mask around it making sure that there is enough coverage for overspray

Placing the fuselage insignia is not easy and I went with a strip below the canopy and then lined up the exterior mask with panel lines/detail areas that are on both sides

I did the same on both sides and then masked around to catch overspray

Insignia white is the first colour to go down. I didn't have much problem getting it to the full paint depth so that the other darker colours beneathe don't show through.

Once dry and cured I masked off an inner ring from the Maketar set. Once the white was down, I lifted and put down the circular mask to break the paint around the mask edge, this avoids tearing the paint edge when the masks are removed.

You can see the second masking circle added above. This will give me a white border to the red Hinomaru.

Spray the red to the full depth. Again RAL 3000 was used.

Once the airbrush has been cleaned, I remove the making tape and masks useing a cocktail stick as this avoids marking the paint.

Jobs a good one.

Finishing stretch now. Replace the windshield, repaint and mark the tailfins, add the undercart and one or two other items and then it's done!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 am

awesome work
Morris

Morris
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Morris wrote:awesome work

Seconded.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Thridid, is their such a word? :whistle:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby wingnut2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm

Fourthdid :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
W2 ;)
When the tuff get going follow them........
wingnut2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks Guys

Finished Photos. A couple of pieces have gone AWOL, but will be attached when recovered!

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby number1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:55 pm

Wow, what can I say? wish I had your skills
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft and space flight