Hobbyboss 1/18 Me 262 - The Build

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Re: Hobbyboss 1/18 Me 262 - The Build

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:12 pm

Ok. Painting and re-painting going on.

I have been advised by email that the custom masks are on the way. Maketar don't mess about!

I am having issues with Paypal and the new double layer of security which means I keep on getting locked out of my account and the phone call to my landline which is approved on my account to which I have to input a pin code never happens. Their help people don't seem to be able to do anything or advise me. I am at the end of my tether and have opened another account to purchase the masks... now that is asking for authorisation by phone! :angry-banghead:

Anyway.... back to this.

The Luft '46 paint job is taking extra time as I used RAL7008 as the disruptive splinter camo over the RLM 79.Once that had dried and I took the masking off I realised that it was the green used as tank camo, not the colour I wanted.

I have re-masked and am applying RAL 7027

Once this has been completed and the RLM 79 redone to fix overspray of RLM 78 I can apply the white theatre markings or wingtips and rudder. Nosecone will be RLM 24 Blue.

I am just wondering, as I am using the late war cross to do them black or white. Although this is 1/18 scale, I think that the national insignia on the decals may be oversized a little, so I have gone for 1/24 scale. After all, this is a "What If" paint job!.

Also ordered this:

I want the 200 kill markings for the rudder!

I also have some DAK palm trees in 1/35 from AFT which I think I will put one on in the cockpit area.

Any ideas, comments or input welcomed, guys.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:42 am

Taking shape, James....awesome man.
Morris

Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 43-46
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 8
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 2
Posting some Lost in Space threads..
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Coming on a treat James. Very nice for what was little more than a toy!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Theatre markings, Port and starboard Nav light colours done, overspray corrections in progress and nearly finished.

Rather than make the wing white theatre markings quite deep, I stuck to the wingtip panel line to make them a little less obtrusive. After all, this is a "What if..." paint job. The nose has been painted in RLM 24 Marking blue and is partially masked as there was a slight bleed onto the camo which needs correction.

Tamiya Clear Red and Green for the Nav lights, I like this paint more than Vallejo and others as it is paint brush handy and easy to apply.

Peddinghaus decals are now in my grubby paws, and although the set is expensive (especially for just 2 decals that I want to use) the white rudder will look so nice with the 200 kill markings!

Just a little overspray to correct and I am just waiting for the Maketar Insignia masks to appear. The late war cross' I will do in black the swastika will have a white border as will the 'Blue 4' number etc.

Looking at the 1/24 decal sizes for the insignia compared to the 1/18 ones and holding them to the model makes me think that I have chosen better sizes. Time will tell.

Comments and questions welcome

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Keep it going, James - most excellent job.
Morris

Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 43-46
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 8
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 2
Posting some Lost in Space threads..
Morris
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Aircraft and space flight