Hobbyboss 1/18 Me 262 - The Build

Planes, hovercraft, rockets, anything that flys !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm

This is totally in my mind right now and I can't concentrate on the 1/32 B-17, so I might as well take a break and get this beast done and out of the way.

This kit does go back to 21 Century Toys and it is certainly moulded like one for a young child to play with and I really have no idea why HB/Trumpeter would bring this out again as they did under the Merit brand without a make over. They have not thrown any money at this at all apart from new colour profiles/decals and box artwork and according to the instructions the big stuff is meant to just screw together.

The plastic is certainly not top grade stuff which you expect to see from this manufacturer and the clear sprue seems to have a kind of whitish bloom about it and is not crystal clear as is usual from this brand.

In fact there are some really nice detalling in this kit especially with the 30mm Mk 108 cannons although the seperate barrels need drilling out.

It is pretty basic in detailing and design overall and it is possible, without painting to put this together in a day, if not a long afternoon. For those who care to, it is really a blank canvas for the super detailers and scratch builders who could add all the detail that has been missed, such as external rivets, wiring, belt/Harness etc.

The draw in this kit is not the detail, it is the 1/18 physical size of this monster and the good thing is that it comes with some substantial nose weights. Those of you who know me are familiar with the A3 card I use as work bench coverings and photo backing... This is what the kit is photographed against, so you can see the actual size.

What is in the box? THis.....

Detail...

The decals are not cartograf, but look like in house ones.

Copyright proof...

If HB/Trumpeter had taken this back to the drawing board and combined the size with their 1/32 Me262 and the detail that has, including engines, It would have been more expensive, but so much more enjoyable. What will really make this a stand out model is the paint job.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Hobbyboss 1/18 Me 262 - The Build

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:29 pm

No surface detail, as you said....
Morris

Hachette Spitfire Mk1a partworks up to including issues 43-46
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work pack 8
Agora Models 427 AC Cobra pack 2
Posting some Lost in Space threads..
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Oh, that’s basic! The panel lines are 1:1 scale :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:29 pm

They really missed the boat with this ,come on Snapdragons save this and make a silk purse.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:24 pm

This will just be an OOB build and it will be the paint job that will make it look good.

Apart from the 1/18 huey which will be with me in a couple of weeks I don't think I will be doing any more of these!

I have been working furiously and will update tomorrow!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:33 pm

Slight delay, but here's the pictures.

For those with excellent scratchbuilding skills, of which I haven't, and you can get past the really simplistic toy type attempt then with a lot of extra time and immense amount of extra work then probably an excellent rendition of this aircraft could be done. However, I have neither the time or inclination to add and scratchbuild what is needed! an exterior paint job is what will make this look good.

There are still parts to add into the gun bay and I don't think that the plastic is styrene. My normal glue doesn't seem to be welding stuff together. this could be ABS!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:28 pm

Great work Snapdragons ,cannons look good let down by ammofeed .Such a shame this could have been a Contender instead of a zoom zoom toy. :(
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Still on the fence about the big Dauntless - got my hands on a 1/32 one as advised James.....watching you on this has me still interested at times in trying the big Dauntless - looking forward to the DAK paint 'werks' :D
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Check out this guy's Merit Dauntless .https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/inde ... coral-sea/
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks for the link -
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:57 pm

That merit kit looks more detailed than the one I have.

I would suggest that you go with paint masks for the insignia for both 1/32 and 1/18 as they are both big and worth the extra effort
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Thx James for the ideas about the masks - still a bit of a confidence needed on my part to paint the insignia like you do.... :?
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:45 pm

I won't be doing any work today after my Birthday and Trafalgar lunch. The brain is wobbling!

Lunch around my table for 6 was as follows:

Salmon oven cooked in foil in white wine, Unsalted Butter, Chives and dill with only a hint of black pepper. (150 degrees for 30 min)
Prawns fried in unsalted butter with garlic and smoked paprika.
Cheesy mashed potato, fried so there is a skin on.
Green Salad with a honey and mustard dressing

Creamy mushroom sauce using chestnut and white button mushrooms, onion, garlic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/creamymushroomsauce_1308

Wine with this course:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/all-other-grapes/lugana-italian-wine/910003137551

This proved to be an inspired choice and everybody nodded and said it was excellent. Light and fruity and went well with the various items.... still drinking this and I think it will be a staple in the house for white meats and fish.

Our guests provided the sweet which was various Polish dessert cakes which was combined with Asdas own Vanilla scoft scoop Ice cream.

Matcched with this, which is one of the best Prosecco types I have ever had and am still drinking, even one of my guests who does not like this stuff said it was really nice!

https://groceries.asda.com/product/premium-wines/24-kt-prosecco-brut/910001521646

Genuine Grog was available using the official Royal Navy Recipe and Pussers Black Label Gunpowder Proof Admiralty Rum (Pussers).

Proper Italian Roast coffee served and the traditional RN toasts observed plus an extra one for Nelson and the Trafalgar Fleet!

I am not going anywhere near my bench or any form of activity due to the excessive amount of alcohol inside me which is a first in about 10 years!...

https://pussersrum.com/collections/rum/products/gunpowder-proof

Anybody has any more interest please post etc and let me sober up enough to read the labels. The Medication is going to complain like hell.... but every so often the rules have to be broken..... or well and truly bent!!!!!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Well jell of your feast Snapdragons tasty all round alcohol sounds most pleasant Happy birthday cheers :occasion-birthday: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-balloons:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby royjess » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Happy Birthday Snapdragon, hope you are having a lovely day :occasion-cake: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Happy Birthday Snaps !!! Meal sounds scrumptious- salmon....mmmmmm, sounds nice! Have a good one and good meal! :occasion-balloons: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor: :occasion-cake:
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:09 pm

THanks guysl

Combining birthday and Trafalgar Day might have not been a good idea with my medication I am on, but at 21 Hrs on the 25/10/20 all my guests, myself and family are still alive....

I may have top hang on to the bed tonight to survive, and amny sprelling is due to more alsohol I have imbibed since my last day in Afhanistan!!!

Normal service resunmed after a month in the Betty Ford Clinic and being shouted at by the NHS!!

Although, anybody at my cremation might want to stand outside to avoid any explosions!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Ok... Dried out and restored to operating condition.

Painting has begun and I will be ordering custom insignia etc. paint masks and decals to use. The kit decals insignis look a little big for what I want to do, so, having the official sizes used on the aircraft I think that I will go with 1/24 scale size. Stencils from the kit decals and some extra stuff from Pedinghaus and Archer too should add a bit of extras!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Always liked the DAK colours - have yet to build an Afrika Korps model....armour or aircraft :) looking good James - the paint kinda hides the lack of surface detail. Watching this one......
Morris

Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Paintwork defo rescuing this Snaps well done that man. 8-) 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Next

Return to Aircraft and space flight