Bedford Whaleboat - (Amati 1/16th).

Ships, boats, oil rigs, anything that floats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Andi Little » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Well, here's going to be my overwinter project - amongst other more involved topics.

I must apologise to Mark as this choice comes as a direct result of his thread and recommendation, after touting around the internet I couldn't find at this juncture anything more suitable or appropriate for my needs.
Mark, I hope you don't feel as though you've developed a shadow, but rather someone that is grateful to follow your furrow. And I apologise to everyone else for doubling up on a thread, I don't think I can enlarge or improve on Marks build but I'd like to share my progress with you all - if that's OK?

Cheers then ... Andi.

Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Bedford Whaleboat - (Amati 1/16th).

Postby number1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Looking forward to your build, I think Mark will be flattered, I also seem to aquire the same models after Mark has posted his builds on here, :oops: :shhh: :whistle:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 am

Like Les says, I'm flattered. I don't usually consider myself as inspirational :laughing-rolling:

Good luck with the model. I'm sure there are areas where you can improve on my efforts.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi All ................ don't panic anyone - I haven't made a start yet (Determined to finish the current project before I open up another).

But, this doesn't mean the head isn't spinning at some crazy speed with ideas and inspirations. One of the main reasons I jumped on this kit as soon as Mike showcased it is that I've always been very enamoured with small open boats; not that I'm not impressed with huge galleons and stuff but while I'm not prone to modelling things bristling with weaponry, I am prone to being drawn to items I can relate to - perhaps even own, if only imaginatively.

So while the heads been in a spin the fingers have been tapping and for future projects (thinking long term here) may I show off a couple of recent purchases ...............

This book came recommended to me and is a tour de force in this genre of modelling - a product of its time in both technique and style, but a revelation in ideas and inspiration.

And then this ................

A means of tackling aforementioned projects - plus lots of other stuff, plus a little bit of lightweight DIY and because I've always wanted one!

Cheers everyone.
Last edited by Andi Little on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andi Little » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:18 pm

Well, here it is ensconced into the man-cave, seems to dominate the space, but that's OK - cos' we're blokes - right!

Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby number1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:22 pm

proper job :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby royjess » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Mine is just the Kitchen :mrgreen:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Nice man-cave - I'm just a tad jealous !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Very nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:04 am

A couple of tips for your (learn from my mistakes !) My boat came out slightly asymmetrical. Unfortunately I made the mast recess central in the thwart, so now the mast isn't quite upright. There wasn't enough material to make a new thwart either :(

The oars don't fit in the rowlocks either. They should be 5mm between the pegs, not 4mm. That's not such an issue as I'm not going to display them in a rowing position anyway, but still annoying.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks Mark, ... clearing the decks (s'cuse pun) as we speak; in order to make a start on the Whaleboat. I've just officially finished the 806 so finally got that one out of my head. And I'm looking forward to a change of thinking - and material as much as anything.
Not sure yet of the significance of a central recess for the mast, and the kit box is on a high shelf (determined not to make a start until everything is in place) I shall study the plans though and take note of your warning.
Perhaps a few pic's of your progress? ..... I have yet another new addition to the mancave arsenal. A fortuitous sequence of events led to an unaccustomed piece of rather good fortune - most unusual for me: - to be revealed - soon.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andi Little » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm

A very recent addition to the mancave then - It came about as a direct result of the Bandsaw purchase - a student said they had an old saw and would I like it????? - Would I ? Turns out it was a much sought after Diamond fret saw and this one had sat under a dust cover unused for most of its life - RESULT.
I did pay them handsomely, of course. Wouldn't have taken advantage ... and although now officially skint (bought this with the gas and electric money) it was too good an opportunity to miss.

And speaking of handsome? Notice the stand I made for it so it can be wheeled about the place ... cool huh?
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Me, jealous ? :mrgreen:

I'll add some pics soon. The wedding is in three weeks, and I've two weeks of business trips :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:26 pm

Mark ... good luck with getting it all finished on time - hope it works out for you and is well received. As a counter point here's a few pic's to show that I've now officially started with this project - perhaps that will garner some interest ............. if not, then I'm definitely in the wrong place?

This seems to be the standard declaration of intent, and although you have seen Mark tread this path before me, watching me stumble and fall may provide some light entertainment?

As an Auto modeller largely, this then is the equivalent of glueing the engine halves together ...............

As can be seen, it pretty much takes up my entire work-station ... should be fun then?

Cheers, all.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Another couple of tips, not that you'll need them for a couple of days at least.....
The rudder has recesses for the hinges. They shouldn't be there - the hinges should be proud of the rudder, otherwise the rudder can't be dropped in place. See fig 44.

The bracket for the steering oar (or whatever it's called) should be made a little larger. As it stands, my steering oar does't fit in it. I'd guess make it a couple of millimetres wider and taller. See fig 20.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks Mark ... I appreciate you keeping an eye on me here ... always grateful for the guidance.

Not actually much further forward, but seemed to take some doing - it's all a bit alien you see. Anyhoo, I thought I'd post an update because really this is where the build starts in earnest: everything so far is actually sacrificial!
I'm already impressed with the obvious and beautiful shape of this craft. And apparently, they were considered a disposable item during their working lifetime so whilst every effort was made to keep them as light and seaworthy as possible their design and detailing was down (very much) to the shipwright who was producing them -- which gives me a degree of welcome latitude to interpret the finish to my own ends and tastes (to a degree)?

Pic's then ..................................

Whom ever it was that came up with the "bulldog clip life hack" was pretty switched on that day - a very elegant solution and a pretty whizz little gadget.

The "braces" in the first bulkhead bay are there because that guiding plank "cogged" around the last but one bulkhead (pretty much like the one at the far end too).

So, onto the first peice of real modelling and those internal floorboards then.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby number1 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Hi Andi, watching with interest, popcorn at hand :handgestures-thumbupright:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I don't know if it's me, or a temporary glitch, but I can't see any photos in this thread.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:50 pm

I can see all the images clearly, I did find a few months ago that the postimage photos were intermittent.

By the way, the build is coming a long nicely :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Andi, I can see your pics just fine ! high quality to.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Ships