Bedford Whaleboat - (Amati 1/16th).

Ships, boats, oil rigs, anything that floats

Re: Bedford Whaleboat - (Amati 1/16th).

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Andi Little » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:39 am

Mark wrote:Never found much use for a block plane or mini chisels ;)

Nor me .... but they're sooooo cute! :D
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andi Little » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Here we go then with a little progress ... sort of good and bad really. Mark had alluded to the fact that this wasn't going to be the easiest part of the build - and he was wrong, and yet oh so very right!!

The way it described to go about the planking just didn't work well with the way my head works (?) so I kind of winged it a bit. Which surprisingly worked really well ... for a while, and then started to circle the bowl for the rest of it. Now I don't want to get into a big description of how it went so very badly - so I'm hoping the pics will tell the tale (largely) - obviously, those who would like me to suffer through a tawdry description could ask questions :o

I simply measured the planks and the space required and worked out the appropriate overlaps - this worked amazingly for the first four planks - right on the line - couldn't see why this was so difficult? .................................

Where we left off ....................

Ready for planking ........................?

Ready ......................... ??

First one glued down - and the back of the second showing planed areas.

You perhaps don't need to see squibs of glue but it does sort of illustrate the process.

Further on now, and a couple of invaluable bits of kit during this phase I found - an accurate glue applicator and my new Veritas mini-plane (definitely not a toy).

And after four planks that hit the line every time - THIS!! Why? the fifth plank (number 27) was this far out - completely and utterly wrong - why?

After MUCH thinking and a lot of trials and offerings up! This my solution - quite elegant actually-(surprisingly)? I searched along the plank till I could see it going wrong - cut it and simply turned it over!!

Sometimes it needed turning, other times it just needed a bit of trimming to alter the angle. Plank 28 needed three cuts, 29 perversely none(fitted perfectly) and the final number 30 needed three cuts again?

A three-quarter view before fettling..............

The stern view after smoothing things through (Only a little I may add).

And the bow which ran true to my markings throughout.

And finally, although still raw with the former inside - the right way up. And is that not such a beautiful shape ................. Hubba-hubba!
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby number1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Ahhh the mysteries of planking, glad you persevered and came up with a solution, looks good from here!
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 pm

It was a great plan. No idea why it went wrong, but great result in the end.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wingnut » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Andi, 2 questions if I may, what is the jig/vice that's holding your boat whilst you work on it ? and what is with the "Elder" connection with your avatar ?
Cheers, Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Andi Little » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm

wingnut wrote:Hi Andi, 2 questions if I may, what is the jig/vice that's holding your boat whilst you work on it? and what is with the "Elder" connection with your avatar?
Cheers, Mike.

Questions - no problem ... Answers, probably useless and uninteresting in equal measure. ..........................

The swivel vice is I'm guessing a jewellers tool (perhaps engravers) I've just taken it off the bench for a good look-see, and would you believe it there is no makers mark, number or any form of identification anywhere upon it. I google imaged it and although I found stuff similar there was nothing with the convenience of the lever for releasing the ball clamp so readily - or the slot in the casing for laying the vice head down at 90°. It has I must admit languished at the back of the bench for months at a time in the past, but this is one of those instances where it's been worth its weight etc!
Regards the avatar - there's nothing sinister or special about it. When I first started to use the net and modelling forums in earnest I was asked often for an avatar - I found this one on some site or other where the year was broken down month by month into trees (which I like) - well, I obviously wanted English Oak or some other manly timber - but unfortunately being a December birth mine came out as Elder. There was a bit of blurb extolling the virtues of Elder and how positive a contribution I was going to make to the natural order - a bit like the star signs if you like (not really a believer) but the reality was the picture was as good as any other.
I have though kept the same avatar across all the modelling forums I have contributed to though, so if you fall over the image elsewhere likelihood is it's me!!!
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby wingnut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi Andi, you struck it lucky with vice a great piece of kit by the looks of it ;) as for the "elder" reference it took me back to my formative years (12) a friend and I found a recipe
for "Elder berry" wine in a family encyclopedia and being surrounded by the things we decided we would have a go at making some :o so with the berries collected and packet of dried yeast a slice of bread and a bucket we set off to be smallest wine producer on a council estate :laughing-rolling: I won't blather on other than to say it turned out brilliant !! it was one the best summer school hols I ever had :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ;)
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Bazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi Andi

I have actually built this whaleboat from scratch using Huon pine, probably the best and one of the rarest timbers in the world.
I was given the plans for the New Bedford whaleboat and went from there putting more timber in sawdust on the floor than i had timber left after making the planks.
Sadly I do not have the boat here and I only have a couple of photos on my computer.
I will find and post them for you.
The completed model looks fantastic and doesn't take up the room some others, so no big case required.
All the best in your build ahead. If you take your time, you can have great fun in detailing accessories. Apple tree twigs make fantastic harpoon handles.

Baz
Before you do it your own way, read the instructions. Sometimes they get it right !
Bazza
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Ships