Ships, boats, oil rigs, anything that floats

Re: Amati Bedford Whaleboat - 1860

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Tony Farrell » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi Mark,
And thanks again for your input!
I'm afraid I don't use Flickr and I had assumed I could just paste the photos straight onto this log - seemingly not. Oh well.
The Italian plans and instructions definitely don't match. And the written instructions are so badly translated they add to the confusion.
I have really struggled with the exterior hull planking on this one but have got around it by cutting out two more plank 7s by hand and using the templates from the orifginal laser-cut sheets. Strakes 7&8 are so similar that the two go together well enough. Not ideal but all I have to do now is glue them and make them fit snug.
Looking ahead, I am slightly worried by how easy the mould will be to get out?
How easy was it to bend the gunwhale timber around the top planking and did you have to steam it?
It's easier to work on my own full-size boat than this one (I live in St.Ives) and spent last weekend repairing a clinkerbuilt skiff. A lot easier than this one.

Cheers,
Tony
If you can guide me to get the photos onto this log I will give it a go.
Tony Farrell
Private
Private

Postby Tony Farrell » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi again Mark,
Thanks for your added comments.
I have looked on other modellers websites and a surprising number of people have struggled with this particulr model - always good to know.
But on the positive side, I extracted the hull model easily and without mishap. the hull planking has taken well and holds a nice shape. So far, so good!
Can you be a little more specific about the paint you used on the hull and how you went about it - I'm not familiar with the paint type you mentioned in your log.

all the best,
Tony F.
Tony Farrell
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:49 am

Hi Tony,

Yes, I've seen other people struggle with this kit too. We're not alone!! My dad had a clinker hull on a Chinese made kit. That had notches in the frames which made construction much easier. Mind, that wasn't an open boat. Anyway, glad you finally beat it into submission. The end result is worth the pain!!

The paint I used for the hull was Games Workshop white spray paint. This seems to be their current version - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Sp ... lobal-2019
However, I think any white aerosol would be fine. Halfords white car primer works well, but you'd probably want to give it a coat of satin varnish. Primers cover well, but tend not to be very durable.

Regarding adding photos, just below the post text box there is a tab 'Upload attachment.' Click that, then you can browse for your photo. Click add the file, then click 'Place inline.' However, there is a size limit, so the photos may need to be resized. Other than resizing the photo, it's quite straight forward. I find Flickr handy as I can organise photos by album, which also makes it easier to share the photos on the odd occasion that people have asked for info on a particular model. However, each to their own.

The rest of the model is relatively easy, apart from the metal castings on the bow, which are completely unusable and need to be scratch built!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Farrell » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi again Mark,
All going well now. I have spray painted using the Games white primer you suggested.
Did you leave that as your finished coat or did you paint over it with a white topcoat?
I quite like the flat primer finish but it has a blue tinge to it.

Cheers,
Tony
Tony Farrell
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm

I left it with the flat finish as I thought it suited the model. I didn’t notice a blue tinge though. Perhaps they changed the formula?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tony Farrell » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Hi again Mark,
I thought I was doing well until I removed the masking-tape from the bottom boards. Shock!! The white primer had actually gone through the tape nd into the bottom boards! A mess. I couldn't rub the paint out either - it had penetrated into the wood! So I painted the bottom boards black and painted the white using Revell spray paint. Looks good now. The hull is finished and the thwarts are in (nothing was easy with this model).
Now I have to make up all the fittings. I'm not convinced by the sail plan. I already have a whale boat with sail - the Panart boat has a lateen sail and looks good. so this boat will be rowed - and it takes up less space.
I will try to get a photo on the log.
Tony F.
Tony Farrell
Private
Private

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 am

Sounds like a good rescue Tony. The thwarts were a bit of a game. I’m sure the ones on the real boat wouldn’t have been fitted like that. I’ll look forward to seeing a photo if you can get one uploaded.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ships