Pair of '0' gauge (1/48th scale) working Narrowboats

Ships, boats, oil rigs, anything that floats

Re: Pair of '0' gauge (1/48th scale) working Narrowboats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby tom1992 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks Steve. :)
I dunno! I got two extra sets of track sections with the pins with the series! I just assumed they were spares in case some broke, got lost or if people wanted to add extra sections to the body of the Tiger. :think: I also just assumed that everyone got two extra sets too! :think: guess not... :oops: sorry!

The Plasticard I just buy off eBay! I buy it in bulk in different sizes. I usually buy it in 1 mm, 3 mm and 5 mm (A4) sheets with it I often buy lengths of Plastruct formed shapes Eg. 'H' sections , ladders, railings, 'L' sections etc. Which always come in useful when scratch building!
Hope this helps...
Cheers,
Tom.

BIGGEST IS ALWAYS BEST ;)

Built: Tiger Tank, Bismarck, 'O' gauge Canal boats.
Currently building: Lancaster Bomber, DC-3, 00 gauge model railway, Wasa
tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 pm

P.s The company I usually buy from on eBay is called 'Hobby-lines' they do plenty of different shapes of Plastruct and sell lots of different sizes of plasticard (and colour and texture too) and sell other useful materials for the scratch builder like wire and brass tubes, Box sections etc. All in different sizes. Really worth a visit to their shop. (P.s Hobby-lines representative, I will collect the payment for my advertising on Monday! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: )
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for info Tom sounds a good shop will have a look ,what percentage is your sales cut :laughing-rolling: ;) .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been trawling though all my build diaries to make sure that the models I'm working on are up to date with their build diaries, and this one isn't! It's been a very long time since I posted on this one so I've actually finished the models now! However I have taken a ton of photos so I'll try my best to remember what they were focusing on and how I did it! ;) :lol: Unfortunately however there are about 100 photos of construction stages after where I left off with the build diary so get yourself comfortable coz this will be a long one! I'll try to do it a little at a time over a period of time so you don't get butt ache from sitting down too long! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: (also so you can comment and nit pick at my work between posts! ;) :laughing-rolling: )

Anywhoo! I've misplaced the photos finishing off the construction of the actual boats so without further ado I'll start with the scenery/Diorama part (wich just so happens to be my most favorite part of this particular model! :D )

So starting off with the base then, this was made from strips of wood we use at work to separate pallets pf timber from each other! cunningly disguised as a Diorama base..... :shifty: Dyed with a medium Oak varnish and washed with a black oil pigment to bring out the grain! looks good! 8-)

The banks of the canal are made from polystyrene strips (also off cuts from work! ;) ) so to make the bank I started by marking out roughly where I wanted the banks to be,

After cutting to 'rough' shape, they were glued in with normal PVA, once dry they were subjected to 'distressing' with the edge of a knife blade (the non-sharp side) which caused SWIMBO A LOT of stress once she saw the mess it made!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: (Gentlemen and Ladies YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! :lol: )

next step was top paint the polystyrene in earth colours to simulate the earth underneath and to hide the white colour! a medium brown for the upper surfaces and a darker brown for the bed of the stream and waterfall and for the undersides of the opposing bank (to help with 3D shadowing!) the tow path was also 'distressed' the same way and painted in medium grey.

lastly for this post, the canal bed was cut and glued in place. this had to be marked up and holes cut into it to allow the engine room well to fit snugly in place. (and a support pillar the other end!)

Last edited by tom1992 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby steve131 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:39 pm

:clap: Great work ,handy getting the wood from work ,looks just like the Lapal tunnel 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Cheers Steve! ;)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi guys!

Got some spare time this afternoon to do a bit more modeling and for this thread another post about my O gauge canal boats! :D

continuing on from last time, I now painted the canal bed in random shades of greens, blues, browns and greys. (the randomer the better!) all in enamels and allowed to go tacky before drybrushing to blend the colours together slightly, giving a nice mix of colours to be more realistic and add depth and variety.

It's now time to add a bit of greenery to the canal bank and towpath, here I'm using a selection of mostly spring/Autumn colours (I find the usual representation of summer colours are far too bright!) as well as some earth shades.

First of all though the earth colours underneath painted earlier need 'livening up' with a selection of earth and dirt weathering pigments (again, the more variety the better!).

Adding 'Black smoke' to start with adds a bit of depth to the 'distressed' areas representing areas that are weathered/worn by passing traffic,

Then adding a mix of 'city dirt', 'white ash' and various shades of earth colours to both banks gives a variety of colours for disturbed areas of the banks,

The trick here is to go far enough but not over do it! it's too easy to keep splashing it about until it looks just like a mess! blending the colours together is also important but equally so is to have quite vibrant contrasts (a bit of forethought, planning and realistic research will help here!) Once I was happy with the result it was time to 'populate' path, using some N gauge ballast and N gauge fake coal to make a stony path.

Turning our attention to the other side now, its time to populate the opposite bank with rocks and boulders. Using cork bark in various sizes, care was taken to place them in realistic positions and formations (again, research will help with this!). Trial and error and a lot of playing around will eventually get a good result!

Also added are sandy shades in different sizes to add a bit of variety to the colour and for fine gravel around the waters edge.

I opted for quite a rocky waterfall here based on a photo I picked up in the Lake District (the waterfall actually disappeared into a culvert under a hotel but I've adapted it to exit into a canal ;) )

There's lots of photos there so I'll leave it for now! I'f I get a bit of time later on I'll add the next stage which is growing a bit of grass! ;) :lol:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

Really enjoying the diorama come together. Very creative.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tom1992 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks Mark! It's one of my favourite aspects of modeling. It gets better! :)
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 am

You've done an excellent job on the narrow boats, the diorama is really coming together nicely too
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 am

Cheers guys! For anyone who doesn't want to wait for me to finish the build diary and wants to see the finished project, I'll be posting some photos in the modeling showcase section when I get home a bit later on. :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Hello everybody,

In the last post, I had finished 'planting' the rocks and boulders along the canal bed and banks, now is time to add a bit of greenery. Here's what I started out with, A bag of Mixed autumn scatter and a bag of spring scatter mix. Mixed together in a bowl to make a 'mix of a mix' (adds variety and blends the vivid colours together.)

I scattered these 'semi-randomly' taking into account where grass would naturally grow, I,e not under cliff edges and not on bare rock etc. (research will help with this).

I've now added a pot of 3-5mm summer fibers to make long grass areas, I'm now using a home made static grass applicator to give the grass a bit of 'life'.

I'm also using ready made tufts of grass from the likes of model gaming firms such as 'Warhammer' and 'Army painter' this adds extra realism especially around the towpath edges!

Again, using the static grass and tufts semi-randomly, research and not overdoing it are both important but the results can be very good!

Now for the next layer of foliage, I'm now using grass clumps such is available from Noch and woodland scenics to add large bushed and shrubs to the scene, again these are mainly spring colours.

In addition to this, I've got a pack of dense thicket foliage from an american company which looks great on the opposite bank making it look tangled and overgrown. the two together looks very convincing!

That's most of the green stuff done now, it takes time and a lot of moving about before you can get to a stage where your happy with it! It took me probably a week of looking at it... thinking... it's not quite right... perhaps if that were there...?? or maybe... that over there...?? Eventually you get to a stage where you think, Yes! that looks realistic! (luckily I had a canal near me so I could go and see first hand what it 'should' look like but all canals are different!)

The last stage is to add the 'water' to the scene! first the boats had to be added and the little rudder tip poking out of the water on the motor boat. This wasn't included in the kit (well the whole rudder wasn't included in the kit! :think: ) so I had to make one myself! just a 3mm scrap of plasticard will do!

I'll leave it there for now! I'll post the final stage of construction tomorrow if I get the chance.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby tom1992 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi everyone!

It's tome to get wet! :D A few people have asked me (on here as well as those who have seen the model in the flesh) how I've got the water to look so realistic! So, I'll try my best to explain exactly what I did! However! If you've got a question on a specific bit that I've forgotten to mention, or would like a bit more info on please post a comment below! :)

So, the first job was to glue the boats in! nothing special here, just needed to position the boats centrally, not too close to the opposite bank (which would have been shallower that the towpath side!) and level so that the 'Ellum' on the back of the butty sat nicely on the polystyrene and position the two boats close enough that the cross-straps joined on the bow of the butty,

Now, to make the water I used 3 different types of model water effects! I'll explain why I've used each in turn as we go along but here are the different types, Top left is 'Making waves' this is basically PVA mixed with a resin that holds its shape (kind of like well mixed meringue!) I'll be using this for waves etc. top right is 'scenic water' This is normally used for making small liquid items such as jelly and drinks cups for large scale dolls houses etc. It's like a resin that you have to melt before you pour! (I'll explain how and why I've used this later!) and the bottom two bottles is a 2-part resin called 'solid water' (all these products are by Deluxe BTW.)

Ok then, the processes! Now, when a canal boat travels through the water, it stirs up the mud at the bottom creating mushrooming clouds of silt that come to the surface. This is what I hope to replicate! So, using the 'scenic water' (which has to be melted) I heated it until the jelly (which is what it looks like straight from the pot) has melted! I kept it in the pot to make it easier to pour and melted it by sticking it in a pan of hot water until melted. Once it has been melted I left it to cool for a while! Polystyrene being expanded plastic will melt very easily by something hot (as anyone with SWMBO drying her hair nearby will know! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ) so, once the solution has cooled a bit (explanation soon!) I poured it over the second half of the canal base. This allowed the polystyrene to melt just enough to create dips and bubbles in the surface which looked like mushrooming mud (without just destroying the polystyrene which would have happened if the solution was piping hot!) also as the polystyrene bubbled away, some of the whiter bits of the polystyrene showed through mimicking areas of clearer waters. ??Confused?? :? :shock: Pictures speak a thousand words so see below!

So that completes the first stage! the second stage is to use the 2-part resin to completely cover the canal base by about 3mm (the depth has already been emphasized by the painting and the previous stage!) I did this in 2 stages, the first to cover the bottom then once it was level and dry, used a second batch to build up the layer to the desired height (about 3-4mm below the level of the gunnels on the boats), Once dry, thus completes the second stage!
(N.b The polystyrene being porous tends to suck up the resin until it becomes saturated and the resin fills the gaps! thankfully I had enough resin and this wasn't a problem but it did catch me off guard a bit! see second photo!)
the scene after the first batch of resin!

The last stage before we get to the waterfall is to make waves! (using 'making waves' which is an interesting coincidence! ;) :lol: ) As I said before, this is basically PVA (so it dries clear) with an additive that allows it to hold it's shape making it perfect for making ripples, waves, splashes etc. etc.
So, I started by painting it over the model in streams simulating the bow wave as it travels down the length of the boats (creating a big bulge at the bow of both boats)

Then, once this was dry I pasted a medium thickness layer over the entire canal bed and allowed it to go slightly tacky, I then took a small sponge and dabbed it to make tiny peaks to simulate disturbed water, As the solution continued to dry, these leveled out slightly to make a convincing ripply effect! after this was dry, I used the solution to build up layers against the sides of the boats and especially around the stern of the motor boat to simulate the churning water created by the propeller! and behind the Butty for the wake. (sorry I have no photos of this but here's a finished photo to show what it looked like!)

The stippling effect
The prop wash effect
The wake
The bow wave

And that completes the canal part!
Finally, here's how I made the waterfall.
To start with, the main drop and the diverging path were treated to a coating of gloss varnish (the all purpose D.I.Y shop stuff) to stop the resin seeping through this time! (an old photo of a previous stage but relevant!)

I then got a box of scenic fibers (also from Deluxe, cotton wool teased out would have done the same job but I bought these as they are relatively straight and so I could direct them where I wanted them!)

To make placing the fibers easier, I took a bit and sprayed it with SWMBO's hairspray to make it slightly tacky (she gave me a bit of evils at the time! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :evil: ) and then using a cocktail stick, pressed it into the diverging path and main fall giving it a realistic direction down the slope and round the boulders,

Then, using a strip of plastic and masking tape, I sealed up the top of the waterfall and got the resin mix out again!

Pouring it in from the top to simulate natural water flow, take a cocktail stick to pull the resin in and around the rocks and boulders (the same technique was used earlier for the main canal but I forgot to mention it!) to make sure the resin covers all ares! making sure that the resin flows down the fibers to simulate trickling water. (a couple of layers may be necessary, I used two!)

After the resin has dried, It's time to get the 'making waves' out again, this time dabbing it along the waterways and down the fiber strands in layers to beef up the cascades! also over the canal bed to make churning water (taking note of how the water will 'bounce back' off the boat), building it up in layers is the key here! Also adding a few streaks of white paint simulates 'white water'.

After several layers, this is the result! Once it was dry I trimmed the excess fibers off and tidied up some of the reeds and bushes that had resin splashed on them.

And there you have it! a canal scene complete with cascading water feature! looks just the part! :D :dance: I will post a few photos (the same as that are in the showcase thread) of the finished model soon, but until then I hope you have enjoyed following my build diary as much as I have enjoyed putting it together and building the model! If anyone has any questions or comments, please post them below! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby royjess » Wed May 03, 2017 10:24 am

Great techniques for the water, thanks for sharing.
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby tom1992 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks mate! :D it was good fun to do! I like making water features, they're very interesting projects.
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby wingnut » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Hello Tom, been following your build with great interest, your "grass work" is very well done and creative :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Mike.
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby tom1992 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:44 am

Glad you've enjoyed it Mike! :D
Cheers,
Tom.

tom1992
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sat May 06, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks for the water tutorial. Nice to see it explained so clearly. I might be tempted to try a boat dio sometime.

The overall effect is brilliant. Have a well earned K, and thanks for taking the time to post such an interesting diary.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Ships