Re: Bedford Whaleboat - (Amati 1/16th).

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Must be me then :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Mark wrote:Must be me then :angry-banghead:

How frustrating for us both, as it was you directly that inspired me to tackle this build. I'm not that enamoured with "Postimage" ... it is very clunky to use, impossible to navigate intuitively and frankly I might give up on it and go elsewhere - But where?
Mark, it can only be a setting of sorts your end ... do try and resolve it as I would dearly like for you to tag along.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:57 am

It's working this morning in the bus queue. Either something with the home network or a temp glitch.
You're making a nice neat start.

Good tip with the bulldog grips. Not seen that one before.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am

A great start Andi
Very nice fret saw and you look well equipped in you're amazing man cave :) Those Bulldog clips are great
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Andi Little » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

Good tip with the bulldog grips. Not seen that one before.

Mark - Casp' ........................................ YES, very much so. I can't lay claim to it - It was something I spotted on my travels within the ether. I do remember thinking to myself "now that's a bliddy clever idea". And of course realised quite quickly that not only will it hold something like a plank in place - but you can then mark or drill through the crimping part - cheap as chips as they say, and no foul as it's easy enough to reinstate its paper clip status at some later point - so a guilt free hobby purchase ;)

Re- the pic's, I'm running a F/B album on my progress so if things foul-up pic's wise there's always that option for a catch-up!
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby steve131 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Looking good so far ,didn't realize how big it is.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:17 pm

I rebooted my router, and it's fine now. The mysteries of modern technology.......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Well, here we go then - my first keel-hauling (as promised from Mark) Being a complete novice - and thinking I had a handle on things, and seeing as the first plank fitted so happily I fitted that and just kept on going. Congratulating myself on all the stuff that was going right it took me a while to realise the planks weren't fitting as well as they did - and they were bowing in the middle - A LOT.
It was then I thought to sit back and have a think about it ... and of course, it dawned on me - a quick check on Marks build, and yep' I should have tapered them!!! Grrr.

In my defence, it's a lesson learned, it's an interior section of the build, and it will be painted completely. I did the only thing I could - I spun it around and started from the keel and worked back to the edge. Apart from ostracising myself from every maritime rivet counter (nail clencher)? It doesn't seem to have worked out so badly??? - as of yet!

Cheers all .....................
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby wingnut » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi Andi, a nice start on the planking ! never tried it myself but I have looked at many a build diary It's not easy ;) keep up the good work !
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 am

Good recovery tho. It won't show anyway, after it's painted and covered with ropes, buckets, oars, etc.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am

Mark wrote:Good recovery tho. It won't show anyway, after it's painted and covered with ropes, buckets, oars, etc.

Yep' ... was kind of banking on that to save me in this instance. Truth be told I'm not one of those guys that just have to leave all the wood showing or anything. But I am frustrated to have made such a rookie mistake so early on!! :angry-banghead:
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Have to admit, I've left as much wood showing as I can. I think varnished wood looks wonderful.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:36 am

Just to continue with the inner planking (and its recovery) here's a few more pics. They should have followed the last lot a little closer, but my photo host went down for maintenance. Without letting anyone know may I add. Anyhoo, got a bit suspicious (and fed-up) after three days and decided to go elsewhere. Spent hours trying to sort out who was the best and decided they were all equally self-serving and decided on Flickr ... Dear God, was that difficult, tedious, abstruse, and downright unnecessarily overcomplicated. Still don't know if I understand what I'm doing - let alone having to strip out the code when you're posting a pic to get rid of all the name branding.

As luck would have it as soon as I think I've got it, my host comes back online and with a little e-mail to apologise - I've never been so grateful to see them.

Those pics then ..........................

One side complete with all gaps filled.

Making a start on the floor planking straps - these are purely functional and pretty much just hold it all together - better! Two things of note in this pic though ... as I'm applying the straps(?) I'm preceding with scrapers as opposed to sandpaper, and also - those red handled pliers on the table, these are jewelers link making pliers and although I'm soaking the wood, and shoving it through a wheel to curve it - they are always better for passing through the jaws of these pliers and just nipping it every few mil' or so.

Different angle of the dangle.

A close-up of those "mini-scrapers" (A little smaller than a credit card actually).

And a shot of them at work - much more satisfying ... and effective!
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby steve131 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 pm

Great work ,looking good 8-) .
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Looking good Andi.

Watch where you place those reinforcing strips as you don't want them to get in the way of the scale frames.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

Mark wrote:Looking good Andi.

Watch where you place those reinforcing strips as you don't want them to get in the way of the scale frames.

OOPS! :doh: ................................ Nah :D just kidding.

I was aware that their placing was quite critical, and have tried my very best to make sure I don't put them in the way - doesn't mean I won't though! ;)
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andi Little » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Just a quick update ... not a lot going on, as this bit has been quite tedious - as I can only fit so many strakes(?) before I run out of clamping room, and have wait for stuff to dry and so then I can move on.

Pics ......................................

All those floor planking strips are now in place, and as Mark commented - making sure they don't clash with any of the hull strakes that have yet to be placed.

And of course, this is what you have at either end - needing to be cleaned up to make way for a faux keel piece.

Tadah! .... and magically with the keel piece in place.

Just a pic' to show the faux keel once it's been tidied, and a bit of a teaser as to the hull strakes ...

And here a squarer view so this first side can be seen clearly - just the other to do, and then on to the hull planking itself - of which I am assured on this model is quite the tussle??
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Looking good Andi. One tip if I may be so bold. I would plank evenly on both sides rather than doing one side at a time. Just planking on one side will put stress on one side of the hull, and can pull it out of shape. Not so important with ribs as there aren't that many of them, but you might end up with a banana boat if you do the main planking one side at a time.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Mark wrote:Looking good Andi. One tip if I may be so bold. I would plank evenly on both sides rather than doing one side at a time. Just planking on one side will put stress on one side of the hull and can pull it out of shape. Not so important with ribs as there aren't that many of them, but you might end up with a banana boat if you do the main planking one side at a time.

Mark - nothing to be bold about - I'm very glad of the input. Whilst I'm hoping to be savvy enough of a modeller to work some things out. I'm also savvy enough to realise that this really is no-mans land for me and truth be told I can use all the help I can get, and I'm darn grateful for it.
As an aside that wheel bender was pretty bliddy useless (as you all but pointed out) I'm still hoping it can be put to use on other tasks but all those ribs (thank you I was struggling for the right name) were bent with a standard soldering iron - just soaked the wood for a goodly time and used the barrel as a heat source! We'll see how long I can get away with that one?

As a further aside I've been thinking about treating myself to a Veritas miniature block plane and a set of the miniature chisels, I mean it's not like I'm not skint or anything - it's either them or that new MFH Vincent!!! Christmas is coming you know - oh, and it's my birthday about then too ... so how much justification does a man need!!? ;)
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:49 am

Glad I can be of help. If I recall, the only plank bending left is the strokes that run around the top of the hull. The soldering iron trick should work fine for them.

Never found much use for a block plane or mini chisels ;)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Ships