MFH Knucklehead 1/9th

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

MFH Knucklehead 1/9th

Sponsor

Sponsor

MFH Knucklehead 1/9th

Postby Andi Little » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi all .....................

just setting my stall out so to speak regards the new long-term project. As you may have garnered it's the newly released MFH 1940 Knucklehead. A new medium, a new manufacturer and a whole new experience so this should be fun (one hopes).

Nothing much yet to see but having started by glueing the obligatory engine halves together .... thought I'd open a build thread and commit myself to the project.

Pics as proof then .......................

Probably spent more time playing building the engine cradle so far - but the steps it's sitting on are from my last long-term project and it kind of feels right to give it a bit of an environment - plus my head makes up back stories and little adventures for the build - it keeps it quiet and happy which is a blessing trust me .................... the noise in here sometimes!!
Last edited by Andi Little on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: MFH Knucklehead 1/9th

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:41 am

Extra large popcorn please :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby krow113 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 am

I'll be watching , having just ordered one. Looks to be on par with the Brough , so you should have fun.
Any idea on the color you are going to paint it?
krow113
Private
Private

Postby number1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Looking forward to this, love the cradle. ;)
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Andi Little » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

krow113 wrote:Any idea on the color you are going to paint it?

Hmm ... not really sure yet. Nothing too flash or modern, I'd like to keep it period-esque. At the minute I'm thinking a two-tone, I like Black over Cream, but equally Black over Grey has a nice understated feel to it. I "might" give in and go for something a bit brighter but nothing candy or pearlescent.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andi Little » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I've decided that perhaps the best way to pictorially notate the build is to post a few images that coincide with the construction breaks in the instructions, so here is Panel 1- diagram A ..........

Basic background weathering in place, some more refined work later to tie the component parts together.

PS ... I'm building the way I usually do with a simple backstory - and the bike will be rendered as "used but loved" - NOT a shelf queen.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby krow113 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Looks good!
Googling the info you can come up with the 5-6 colors and combos that were available at the time of purchase. Basically red , blue , grey , etc with a small stripe . Not too appealing but remembering the time frame (WW 2) , they are period correct.
krow113
Private
Private

Postby Andi Little » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Well here we go with panel b, it looks like a straightforward and simple build but those fins turned out to need a bit of thought - nothing drastic but it took some brainpower to make sense of the right order of events it's difficult to see but what made things easier was a shim inserted down the back of the barrel flats ... tightened it up and took a lot of the slack out the assembly. Here I've gone with a "cast iron" finish to the barrels - all to make the weathering a little more theatrical down the line.

Pic's then ......................

Although a little premature I couldn't resist posing it with the heads on. A standard matt black - again for maximum drama when the knuckles go on. As an aside I'm using Halfords acrylic with the Halfords acid etch as a base ... seems pretty tough so far. Without being too aggressive it's coping with general handling and some poking with a cocktail stick.

The next diagram deals with the build-up of the heads - looks quite complex actually - loads of pipes and stuff!!!
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby number1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Looking great Andi, hope to resume the Vincent soon :D
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby casper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 am

Looking really nice Andi,
I just love your wood work bench and great photo's by the way
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Andi Little » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

casper wrote:
I just love your wood work bench and great photo's by the way
casp

Hey Casp' ... many thanks - pleased that you're following along. It makes me smile when folk mention the photo's - Mark made mention once that I was using a home studio/ - Well sort of ...........................................

............. Grins ........... just copy paper and my work lamps, camera is a (now) quite old Sony point and shoot - and I only post edit for size and optimise for easy upload and storage - 1000pixels and 500kB max (or thereabouts) ... ;)
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Ah, it's the two lights that give you the edge. You'll need a bigger sheet of paper for the finished bike - perhaps an A3 studio :lol:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Cars & bikes