Tamiya RD350LC

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Tamiya RD350LC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tamiya RD350LC

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 am

Here is my next project, which is keeping my occupied as well as the Cavalier. I can only do a bit to that and have to wait for paint (or more often filler !) to dry at the moment.
Anyway, I used to have an RD350LC some years ago. Mine was a bit rough, but the engine response was ferocious ! Quite smooth up through the revs, until you hit the power band, and then it took off like a scalded cat ! An exciting bike, to say the least !

I came across this kit, which is shown as an RZ350, which was the Japanese badge for the same bike. Luckily the kit comes with transfers for the both the Jap and UK versions. Mine didn't have the fairinig or the underpan, so those will be left off. Here is the box lid.

And here are photos of the sprues. The more observant will notice a few bits missing. In my excitement, I rushed in with the knife and sprue cutters before takaing any photos.
Most of the chrome parts will get the bleach treatment.

This sprue had most of the engine parts on it.

The fairing has the headlamp bowl moulded in, but Tamiya thoughtfully provide a separate headlamp bowl in case you don't want to fit the fairing :D
It's on the next sprue.

The monoshock is integral with the swing arm, and is moulded in two halves with an integral spring. I plan to replace the spring with fuse wire.

Finally, the tyres, some plastic tube for the cables etc, and some screws. Not sure what I'm going to do about the screw heads. I hate exposed screw heads on bike kits. I may use a bit of wire instead if I can find something the right size.

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tamiya RD350LC

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:55 am

Now on with a bit of assembly. Engine first. the crank case is in two halves, and will be painted falt aluminium. (I'm using Tamiya paints for this project)
The cylinders and carb assembly is about four pieces. There are some noticable mould lines to remove on all the parts, but they only take a few scrapes with a knife and a rub with a sanding stick. THe cylinders are semi gloss black, as are the crank case sides.

The tank is two halves joined down the middle, so there is a thumping great mould line to remove from the centre of the tank. It took a fairly good scraping, and a fairly good sanding to get rid of. The front mud guard was one main peice, with two strips on the sides. A bit fiddle to get right, but it didn't take more than a few rubs with a snading stick to remove the join line.

The engine needs painting before I can go any further.

First impressions are that it's a nice kit which goes together fairly well. No flash and teh mould lines aren't too bad for an old kit. Some of the joints need a bit of work to get perfect, but it's not bad for an old tooling.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

Nice!

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Takes me back twenty years had a Tamiya model bike can't remember what it was black Yammie :think: nice kit went together well. Eye on this one.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:54 am

Some of the chrome parts are being bleached now. An overnight soak took most of the chrome off, with just a few little bits remaining. Hopefully the parts will be completely clean after work.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi Mark! Re the chrome removal, I have used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner for last few Tamiya kits and it works really well within a couple of hours provided you keep the parts in an airtight bag. Great stuff. Don't know whether you can get it where you are though :(

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:55 pm

No Mr Muscle here, but the local bleach worked fine. It did leave a few traces of what looked like cling film, but a toothbrush and detergent soon fixed that :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 am

I started to paint the engine and some other bits last night. The crank case and carbs are flat aluminium, and the rest of the engine, seat, chain guard and rear mud guard are semigloss black. I haven't been able to get hold of X18, semi gloss black, so these bits have been done matt black with a semigloss varnish on top. It's come out pretty good.

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with the Tamiya acrylic paints. First time I've used them in a long time, but they have sprayed very well through my airbrush straight from the pot. They have covered superbly, especially given that I didn't use a primer. I shall be using these a lot more int he future I think. It's not quite ready for assembly yet though. I found a gaping join line across the front of the crank case which will be very obvious on the finished model. The darn thing is wider than the Grand Canyon. A dose of filling and sanding will be needed.

I didn't take any photos yesterday, but I'll correct that oversight before I do any morework.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Mark wrote:I started to paint the engine and some other bits last night. The crank case and carbs are flat aluminium, and the rest of the engine, seat, chain guard and rear mud guard are semigloss black. I haven't been able to get hold of X18, semi gloss black, so these bits have been done matt black with a semigloss varnish on top. It's come out pretty good.

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with the Tamiya acrylic paints. First time I've used them in a long time, but they have sprayed very well through my airbrush straight from the pot. They have covered superbly, especially given that I didn't use a primer. I shall be using these a lot more int he future I think. It's not quite ready for assembly yet though. I found a gaping join line across the front of the crank case which will be very obvious on the finished model. The darn thing is wider than the Grand Canyon. A dose of filling and sanding will be needed.

I didn't take any photos yesterday, but I'll correct that oversight before I do any morework.

Hi Mark,

Do you order the Tamiya paints on-line?

If so I'd be grateful for a link, as I've still had no joy with the Humbrol website
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:42 am

I got these at a local model shop, but I'll find an on line retailer and send the link.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:37 am

Here is the offending gap.

I actually managed to get rid of it with just a good sanding. Didn't need any filler.

I've added the carbs to the cylinder assembly.

Once the engine is finished it will get a bit of weathering. A light wash on the carbs to bring out the detail, and perhaps a light dry brush of a light grey to add some highlights to the engine.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:14 am

The RD350 was a monster and you really had to have your wits about you.
My brother in-law had one but it ended up under a schoolbus after sliding on a drain cover on a tight bend....the brother inlaw broke his arm
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

casper wrote:The RD350 was a monster and you really had to have your wits about you.
My brother in-law had one but it ended up under a schoolbus after sliding on a drain cover on a tight bend....the brother inlaw broke his arm

Ah! The joys of motorcycling. Next time you are out driving, note how many metal inspection covers are situated on bends and roundabouts to catch out the unwary biker - especially in the wet.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby steve131 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

A wet downhill cattle grid got me in the car went sideways :o :o :o
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm

I've got a bit more done tonight. The crank case has been resprayed and looks fine this time.
I gave the carbs a wash with a Games Workshop brown wash, but it just gave the carbs an overall brown stain. I really don't get on with the GW washes, and it's not for the want of trying. I think I'll stick to paint and water in future, it's a lot more controllable. At least the recovery is fairly simple. Just a light overbrushing with silver and they should look fine.

I gave the frame halves a coat of gloss black as well, but they need another coat. Annoyingly, the engine is sandwiched between the frame halves, so you have to paint the frame before joining it. This means that I'll have to fix the head stock join after the frame has been glued, and will end up with a moderately tricky job of respraying the headstock while trying not to get overspray on the engine.

Photos with the next update, when I assemble the engine.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi Mark,

With the head stock and the frame, that sounds really tricky.
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 am

It does :angry-banghead: It's not a brilliant moulding either, so it going to take a bit of work to get a good join too :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Have you tried the Tamiya washes Mark or MIG, the smoke is pretty good
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

I was working with what I've got to hand. I've sorted the carbs with an over brush over silver. I think the brown wash will actually work quite well on the chain though. Fingers crossed :pray:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Mark,

I have just caught up with your posts. Re the wash on the carbs: did you put a brush coat of clear varnish over the parts before applying the wash? If not the wash will go into all of the 'pores' of the painted surface. Ask me how I know! :angry-banghead:

I am looking forward to seeing some more pics of this iconic machine.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Cars & bikes