Tamiya Yamaha YZR-M1 '05

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: Tamiya Yamaha YZR-M1 '05

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am

"Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey"! ;)

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:04 am

Windscreen masked up. Of course, a decal overlaps this part, so it's got to be painted, decaled, and then clear coated..... I think I should probably give the screen a coat of black first, to avoid having to build up too much paint to get a solid colour.

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I will find this very helpful in doing my MP4/5 windscreen Mark, similar black edge and decal in the center.
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 am

I painted the screen black, and then blue, and it seems to have come out OK, but I haven't taken the masking tape off yet. I think I've fitted all the decals to the front fairing now (need to have a final check to make sure all the decals are in place before I clear cost the fairing.

I always get nervous when clear coating a model. Will I get any dust in the coat, will it react with the decals, will I accidentally be heavy handed with the airbrush and generally screw up !! So much to go wrong.......... and its the making or breaking of a model - after you've done all the hard work......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chadders87 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 am

I know what you mean about the clear coating. One small cotton fibre, a smidge of setting solution or a window left open accidentally can all ruin a good coat from what I have read. At least you have experience spraying one.

I'm just about to do my first coat in a day or so and have Alclad 2 Gloss, and on recommendation have just ordered Alclad 2 Aqua Gloss as apparently it is easier to use and a tad more forgiving for a beginner.

Be good to see your front faring and windshield if you get a chance to upload a pic :D

Ian
Building: , Deagostini Mustang GT-500, Revell Routemaster
Built: Tamiya Kawasaki ZXRR, Revell Rolls Royce Continental II Phantom, Tamiya Suzuki RGV-1
Stashed: HMS Victory's Cross Section
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 am

I remembered to take a photo last night :D

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RedRoo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 am

:superlglue: I do the decant with all my paints now but I hope you let it stand and "De-gas" first ? :ugeek:

:superlglue: The reason I ask that is because I fell into the trap of spraying the paint as soon as I had decanted it and, bubbles just exploded out of the paint as soon as it hit the model :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: but you are right about it drying super quick. :clap:

So, when do we see the results mate ? :pray:
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:33 am

Yes, I do decant the paint from rattle cans and then spend ages letting it warm up to degas. I'm using normal Tamiya clear gloss from a bottle for the clear coat. Should be doing that this weekend, assuming I haven't missed any decals :pray:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Way hey !!! It's finished !!

Photos on Monday :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chadders87 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Well done Mark. Its an amazing sense of achievement when it's done isn't it. Im looking forward to seeing the finished photo's!

Definitely worth a K.

Ian
Building: , Deagostini Mustang GT-500, Revell Routemaster
Built: Tamiya Kawasaki ZXRR, Revell Rolls Royce Continental II Phantom, Tamiya Suzuki RGV-1
Stashed: HMS Victory's Cross Section
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:29 am

Thanks Ian. It's nice to see a model finished, and in the display cabinet. Mind, it's a bit sad when you have to stop working on a model that you really enjoyed....

Anyway, here are the photos. First a couple before the fairing goes on. This is the last time the engine will be seen in all its glory.

Here are some with the model finished. The fairing sides are held on with cross head screws. I painted them with Tamiya silver, the same as all the other fastenings are painted, and this gives them the same appearance, so they don't stand out so much.

The tyres were sanded with 400 grit paper to give a used look, or at least, to get rid of the mould line.

Finally, here are a few close ups

The front axle, with the aftermarket axle bolt. Worth every penny !

The rear wheel, again the aftermarket axle bolt is a vast improvement over the kit part. I had originally replaced the cross head screw holding the exhaust with an etched bolt head, but it looked very insignificant. Almost invisible. So I changed it for a piece of hex shaped plastic rod, painted black. Not sure if it should be black or silver, but the black looks better to me. The stand had a dry brush of silver, just to bring out the detail.

The throttle adjusters also make a big difference. Very small and fiddly, but worth doing. The kit just had the cables going into the twist grip at 90 degrees, so the cable angle would have been wrong as well. I painted the hand grips dark grey, with a very light touch. This made them look just different enough to be different (if you see what I mean !)

Finally, the instrument panel. I'd have rather seen the bike idling than stopped, but perhaps I'm being a bit too picky :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

There you have it ! Another nice addition to the display cabinet. There are a couple of things I'd have done slightly differently. I should have added the decals to the top yolk (between the handle bars) and also the swinging arm, and sprayed them with a satin varnish. As it is, the decal film is visible. I should have got some carbon fibre decal for the hugger as well. Still, there will always be another bike kit at some stage in the future. Probably quite soon in the future - The new Duke is very tempting, or the recent Honda NS500
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SkyFire » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:53 am

Looks good. Thinking about clear coat, wait till your doing a fullsize carriage and can't see where you have done it and where you haven't!!!
bItuHpa' BIHeghjaj - (Death before shame). ortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' - Revenge is a dish best served cold. Qapla'!
SkyFire
Major
Major

Postby casper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 am

Hi Mark
lovely to see her finished and looking fab :clap: :clap: :) those aftermarket parts make all the difference.
I love the way the paint came out and the engine looks superb. K posted, well done mate :clap: :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby RedRoo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:46 am

:superlglue: How impressive she looks Mark, :clap: :clap: :clap: The close up shots say a lot and yes, the aftermarket bits and pieces do add a fantastic finish to many hours of being hunched over your treasure. :D

:ugeek: How many of these fab machines have you got in your display case now Mate ? :laughing-rolling:

:violin: You MUST put them on show for all of us please. !

Many K's Mark, a beautiful result.

Roo. :violin:
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Mark » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks guys ! I really appreciate the kind comments and Ks :D

The only other bike I've done is the RD350LC. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4380
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Well done Mark, looks superb, the extras you've put on were certinally worth it. "K" given
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Cars & bikes