BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: BSA DBD34 Gold Star - Conversion?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 pm

You might find that the 5 min epoxy will peel off quite easily. I find it doesn't stick to metal very well. I prefer the 24 hour Araldite, which doesn't come off. Mind, that can be a mixed blessing, especially if parts move while the glue is curing (always unnoticed until the next day of course :angry-banghead: )
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 pm

@Mark: I hope the 5 minute will be strong enough!

BIG decision today - modelling or watching the two enormous games of footie on TV. The result was roughly 20% modelling - so football won! Great Premiership battle this season :clap:

However, I did manage to tidy up the front fork crown area by cutting off the excess brass rods, fitting the speedo/rev counter console, the front fork damping knurled knob and the fork stanchion chrome nuts. Before attaching the instrument console, I added two small pieces of ali tube to the instrument bases for ease of attaching the 'cables'.

It's not a lot of activity, but, as they say in the Tesco ad: "every little helps"!

More anon.

Peer
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Cables, cables and cables! The handlebar 'furniture' has now been fitted and all the 'wiring' has been done. The bike looks awful in the pictures because it needs a good clean, but it looks better in it's real model size.

Have also decided to fir a chin pad onto the top of the petrol tank which was formed from Milliput and then carved and sanded to shape before spraying with Tamiya Rubber Black.

Also fitted the rear brake rod and have scratch built various parts of this to make it look nearer to the real thing. You will see from the pics that I will have to do some black touch up work on the brake drum operating arm.

More anon.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Big day today!

It was the coming together of the racing seat/central oil tank and rear mudguard - these pieces put the final touches to how the bike will finally look and, because of the scratch-work, they need to be attached as one unit . I pondered for a long time whether to use gel C/A (which gives you a tad of wiggle room) or 5 minute epoxy. I chose the latter because of the necessity to adjust and re-adjust the stance of these pieces against the general layout of the frame/tank/forks as a whole, bearing in mind the 'flexibility' of the white metal frame and overall alignment. The pictures show the bike as the epoxy cures with a piece of blu-tac holding the mudguard in place.

There are other things such as the petrol pipes to fix to the carburettor, the exhaust pipe and silencer to be finally attached after loads of dry fitting to get the angles right, general odds and ends to be fitted and quite a bit of black paintwork to touch up where attachments have been made, but I think the finishing straight in sight! :)

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Sparbucks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:58 am

APART FROM TRYING TO WORK OUT HOW TO DESIGN A STURDY STAND (FOR THE WEIGHT) - THE BIKE IS FINISHED!

But to give it it's due, the bike didn't give up without a fight. On the very last day, an errant finger movement broke the clutch lever on the handlebars. A frantic search of the spares box found one attached to a twist-grip and this was snipped off, trimmed to length, drilled and pinned. The broken piece still attached to the bars was also trimmed and drilled. C/A did the rest! It was definitely sweaty shirt-tail time.

The exhaust system was fitted after modifying the right hand footrest attachment (during test fittings) which also became the attachment for the modified megaphone silencer. The exhaust pipe was given fine coats of Alclad Transparent Blue and Yellow at the business end after the whole assembly had been sprayed with Zero Gloss Black and then Chrome. Oh, and not forgetting the 'chin' pad on the tank.

Final attachments were petrol pipes (3), the transparent breather pipe from the central oil tank exiting adjacent to the left suspension unit top and then the racing numbers.

So, that's it! One BSA DBD34 converted from road going to a racing 'clubman' track machine. It was almost binned on three occasions, but I am glad I persevered with the project. Would I attempt another from the white metal/plastic Mr Hobby stable? No! However, having said that, their method of spoking the wheels was excellent and very simple - far ahead of the Tamiya system in my view.

Hope you have enjoyed the ride!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby baby_astons » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 pm

glad you didn't bin the project peter, now if only I could find a 1:8 bike to fit my cars (and my wallet...)
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby number1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 pm

Fantastic conversion sparbucks glad you got to the end, well worth a K :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby number1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 pm

K owing
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks BA and thank you number1 for the 'K'

Still thinking about the base and presentation!

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:20 am

Beautiful model Peter. I really enjoyed this diary. Sure we can't persuade you to do another ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 am

Hi Mark - not another Mr Hobby with a wobbly frame thank you! At the Southern Expo last month, I picked up a Revell/Italeri 500 Manx Norton for £10 - a bargain. I have built one before (see below) so I think I can remember the pitfalls, but this one will have to be re-spoked! :laughing-rolling:

This is the same Norton kit I built about 5 years ago - my first motorcycle. Note wonky fork leg, thick spokes and no weathering!

Thanks for the kind words.

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby number1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:39 pm

K now given, £10 for the norton, what a bargain :mrgreen:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:15 pm

number1 wrote:£10 for the norton, what a bargain

Thanks for the 'K' number1. I have to say that I was on tenterhooks about the Norton kit. A chap in front of me picked the kit up and was examining it. The seller said, "It's only £10", at which the chap put it back on the shelf!

The kit box was almost stationary as I got my mits on it :D

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Amazing bargain !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 pm

Nice find Peter and a bargain price :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby roger.7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi all...been sort of following this build...but doing it without a pc is a pain...anyway ive got one of these kits in a display case unbuilt ! But ive no instructions with it...can i find them on line ...nope...any help would be great as i am thinking of taking out of the case and building it ☺
roger.7
Cadet

Postby number1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:22 pm

roger.7 wrote:Hi all...been sort of following this build...but doing it without a pc is a pain...anyway ive got one of these kits in a display case unbuilt ! But ive no instructions with it...can i find them on line ...nope...any help would be great as i am thinking of taking out of the case and building it ☺

Hi Roger, Im sure I have the instructions for the BSA Goldstar somewhere, will check and send you a P.M
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby roger.7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Cheers...i did build one in the 80s..but this one is different ..it hasnt got the same tank..also i remember the stack on the carb was made of stainless and had to be attached..this one is all one casting !
roger.7
Cadet

Previous

Return to Cars & bikes