Tamiya 1:12 Kawasaki ZX-RR

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Chadders87 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi All,

So while waiting for the Millennium Falcon and the cross section of the HMS Victory to pass the test / start arriving, I decided to pick up a nice bike kit. Initially the idea was to use it as something to practice my skills and try out my new airbrush. However, without properly researching my subject I have actually picked up something that is a huge challenge to my novice level abilities. Especially after reading through Mark's build of his model Yamaha.

I decided on the Kawasaki simply as I love the bike (and the Yamaha YZF I wanted was out of stock.. :http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/14109ninja_zxrr

So far I have trimmed the sprue's, put together the fist parts of the engine, base coated it, and sanded it down. Not sure if it was needed though, and I really need to learn how to properly maintain / clean the airbrush after use. (Do you clean it between coats??)

Any tips you can share now and throughout the [slow] build are appreciated!

Pre Basecoat

Post Basecoat

Now considering this took me a few hours... This could be a very long project!!
_________
Ian
Building: , Deagostini Mustang GT-500, Revell Routemaster
Built: Tamiya Kawasaki ZXRR, Revell Rolls Royce Continental II Phantom, Tamiya Suzuki RGV-1
Stashed: HMS Victory's Cross Section
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya 1:12 Kawasaki ZX-RR

Postby baby_astons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 pm

ian it's better to have a slow start and a fine project rather than breaking the world record and throwing the model into the bin...
if you spray on several coats of base (no matter for that as any other colour would be the same) with a few minutes inbetween there's no need for a total gun cleaning - just keep a jar of solution handy and give it a shot if you intend to wait some 15 minutes between the coats. this will prevent the nozzle froom clogging. once finished do a proper cleaning of course. if you work like this don't change the colour etc. - this will only work if you use the same compound after the short cleaning...
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Chadders87 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Not much to update.

The engine is now sprayed metallic grey with a flat aluminum band painted around it. There's also a lot of very small detail parts that I have painted and am in various stages of gluing on.

Next stage will be my first go at mixing paints together to a set ratio for the top and bottom engine parts which still need adding on. Not sure how I'm going to do this but luckily I have some pipettes which may be useful.

Made two learner mistakes:
1) Contact Glue/ cement dissolved the paint meaning a few touch ups were necessary. Note to self was use less glue!
2) I didn't hold onto tiny bits as they get cut from the plastic moulds. 30 minutes of playing hide and seek with a silver 3mm part was not part of tonight plan.

Built: Tamiya Kawasaki ZXRR, Revell Rolls Royce Continental II Phantom, Tamiya Suzuki RGV-1
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:22 am

Good start to the engine. Can't beat lots of different colour metals on a modern engine :D
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Nice to see another motorcycle build, looks like a good start on the engine. I'm always dropping small bits and spending ages looking, now if I am doing a small fiddly part I put a box lid on my lap and 9 times out of 10 the piece lands in the box!
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Sparbucks » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Keep it going Chadders!

@number1: good tip about the box on your lap - that's worth a try.

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Chadders87 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Ignoring 2 more pieces needing to be glued on to the engine once dry, I am happy to say I can now move on to step 2 in the instructions.

The frame is fairly simple in comparison, consisting of 4 main parts which have been glued together and now awaiting filling and priming tomorrow.

Near finished engine and start of frame:

Repeat of the "Glue Issue". This time I left the glue to dry and peeled it off...sadly this took all the layers of paint with it and the brush can't imitate the colour mix that the airbrush achieved:
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:12 am

Making a good start. Shame about the glue damage, but on the brighter side, that area will be all but hidden on the finished model.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chadders87 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 pm

That's what I am hoping Mark. I have looked into alternatives and a few have suggested using miniscule dabs of PVA where no stress is present on the join. Might try that next time around and see if it makes a difference for me.

Now have the engine screwed to the frame. Not much to show so I didn't take a pic of it, but here's one of the wheels with the green decals on the rims. In all honesty, applying those decals was TRULY the hardest part of the build thus far. Took a toothpick, cotton bud, decal soft and a hell of a lot of patience and time! Still a few bumps in them but I am pushing them down once dried and then applying more decal soft. Seems to be doing the trick as they are reducing nicely.

Now just the reverse sides to do :angry-banghead:
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:43 am

Have a K for what looks like an all but impossible decal task !

PVA works well, but gives a low strength join, hence the proviso about no stress on the joint. You could also try Krystal Klear which I think is a type of PVA, but seems to give a stronger join. Brilliant for clear parts of course, but I use it for areas where I don't want glue damage, and also for sticking down static grass, etc. on bases for figures, simulating dial glasses, and even glazing small windows. I wouldn't trust it to hold weight though.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparbucks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 am

Great work Chadders! Have a 'K'. :clap:

I agree with Mark about the PVA adhesives. One place where PVA is a 'must' though is for attaching clear parts such as canopies on aircraft or screens/windows on motorcycles and cars and then leaving them to set for at least 24 hours. Beware of using superglues (C/A) on these items, however tempted you can get for a quick fix (!), as they can 'fog' which, I believe, is caused by their fumes. Apologies if you were already aware of this.

Excellent progress. Keep at it!

Peter
Ongoing builds: Heller Super Constellation conversion, unfinished Airfix Bentley and unfinished Revel Ar196

Recently Acquired Stash: AMT 1/16 Shelby Cobra, Tamiya 1/20 Honda F-1 RA272, Minicraft 1/16 1955 300SL Gull Wing Mercedes plus much, much more!
Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Chadders87 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks Mark, Sparbucks. I have ordered a bottle of Krystal Klear, and the description on the shop makes it sound brill. Going to hold off on gluing things until it arrives.

I have now finished the reverse of the tyres and can honestly say I am not happy with the appearance. Perhaps I should have cut the decals in half for an better fit or tried painting the green line... either way I am left with a few small ripples which are not seeming to disappear. I will leave it until the model has been finished and then see how much effect the repeated DecalSoft applications have made. I can always take them off as a last resort.

On a plus side, the fiancé has been jealous of my time spent modelling so we have ordered (by we I mean of course she ordered but on my debit card..) a Tamiya Ferrari Spider for her to build. That and a wooden dolls house kit. Will see how things go then try and get her to sign up here :D

p.s.. If she signs up, remember to tell her ALL model kits are verrrrrry cheap and part works cost less than the paper they are printed on... :liar:
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby casper » Thu May 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Excellent start Chadders :clap: :clap: :)
engine looks great and those decals must have been very tricky to do. great job :clap: :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Sparbucks » Fri May 02, 2014 9:11 am

Chadders: re the ripples on the tyre decals - by using a brand new scalpel blade such as a Swann Morton No.26 which is very long, you can very carefully slice the decal and, at the same time, apply some more decal softening solution. By deft use of a fine brush you can (most times!) gently work the decal to line up OK after the ripple has been removed. But be very careful!

Good luck - great job so far :clap:

Mum's the word with regard to your fiancé :whistle: but, if she does really get into 1/12 scale dolls houses and their accessories, you won't have to hide the cost of YOUR model requirements. If you thought some of our kits were expensive............................. :laughing-rolling:

Peter

Sparbucks
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Chadders87 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Sparbucks wrote:Chadders: re the ripples on the tyre decals - by using a brand new scalpel blade such as a Swann Morton No.26 which is very long, you can very carefully slice the decal and, at the same time, apply some more decal softening solution. By deft use of a fine brush you can (most times!) gently work the decal to line up OK after the ripple has been removed.

Thanks for that tip Peter, I have pretty much salvaged the tires now.

Krystal Klear has turned up and it makes a massive difference. No more damaged paintwork or glue seepage at the joins.

This is the latest. Just need to clear coat the rear mudguard / wheel frame section than that piece is done.
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Paul » Fri May 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi Ian,

It's really starting to look great :D :D :D

re: the problem that you had with the glue earlier, another piece of advice I've had from the guys is to assemble and glue first (where possible) the parts that will be sprayed the same colour - so sometimes you need to think ahead etc. :)
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Chadders87 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 pm

I've made a nice amount of progress since the last update, the kit is now beginning to take shape rather than being random elements of painted plastic.

I saw someone use a black wash on the front radiator so tried to copy the technique. Cotton bud dipped in tamiya X-1 black, then dipped in water before simply washing over the grill. Can't really see it in the pictures but it has added a nice depth and shadow to it. Wish i'd used this on the brake disks like Mark did but wasn't brave enough at the time I did them to trial a new skill.

The wheels come up quite good thanks to all the tips!

And this little (I must not use naughty words) was a... (I must not use naughty words). It's about the quarter of an oxo cubes face if laid on top (being that the oxo cube seems to be the measure of choice).
No where to hold it, use tweezers or even a tooth pick while painting. Finally managed to secure it to a tooth pick using a tint bit of blu tack and PVA (Krystal Klear really DOES have many uses!!)
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Chadders87 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I have had a busy few weeks what with the wedding and all :D , and now just getting back into my normal routine. That means back to modelling. I have decided to airbrush as many parts as possible rather tahn brushing. You really can tell the difference and the effect is just so much better.

A few pics of the work I did here and there, and really happy now that it is beginning to look like a bike!
Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby RedRoo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:22 am

:superlglue: What a tremendous effect you have created and beautifully built with excellent attention to detail, I hope I can get the red stripe on my Ducati's wheels done as well as yours :clap:

:superlglue: As I was reading all the info and comments, one was about the PVA glue for clear bits or where normal glue or Super glue would not be appropriate. :angry-banghead:

There is a glue I use and highly recommend and its Humbrol's "Clear Fix". OR, "Elmers" washable CLEAR School Glue.

I will be posting a series of pics of a model that has been glued together with ONLY the clear glue, no normal glue except for the metal bits where I used a smudge of s/glue, but I digress. :whistle:

A pity some of the pics were not quite in focus :angry-banghead: , but well done :clap:
RedRoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Chadders87 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks RedRoo. I definitely need to invest in a decent camera I agree. Photos taken via a mobile are never the best quality and it takes a few tries to even get close to what I am trying to show in the correct focus.

Managed to do the wiring last night although forgot to snap a shot, and managed to get the front mud guard decal on. They really don't go on nicely so a fair amount of decal soft was required. Before and after pics below.

Before:

After:

I am a bit gutted as there is a very thing hair wrapped under the decal which must have fallen on after prepping the plastic. It's not overly noticeable luckily.

Also managed to prep the faring using "Alclad 2 White Primer & Micro Filler". Brilliant stuff and gives a lovely smooth surface once buffed with a 1500 sponge. It's just a right :angry-banghead: to clean the airbrush after as the stuff sets hard very quickly.

Chadders87
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Next

Return to Cars & bikes