MFH Brough Superior SS100

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:31 am

Well, I know I was going to leave this for a while, but it was just sitting there, and the little devil on my shoulder was whispering, "Build me, build me !" He just wouldn't be quite, so what's a man to do ??????

So, where to start. I know, wheels. I can't resist a spoked wheel !! (think I need to get out more :laughing-rolling: )

The rims have a nasty mould line right the way round the middle. A diamond file seems the best bet for this, but it still took me two days to do both rims !! A traditional file leaves too deep scratches in the soft white metal. Here's the rim almost finished.

After much filing, checking, filing, re-checking (repeat until bored...) I decided it was good enough and gave it a final sand with a 1000 grit sanding sponge. The gave a good finish, but wrecked the sponge !! The rims also needed cleaning up, but that was much easier as there weren't those annoying bumps getting in the way...

Now I need to drill the holes for the spokes. All 80 of them !! A tip I picked up from Britmodeller was to drill the holes from the inside, or you risk the holes not coming out in the centre of the dimples. The instructions helpfully provide a 1:1 drawing of the wheels.

On to the front hub. These are the parts that make it up.

The etched parts are both screwed in place. The screws are M1.4 thread, 3mm long. They are machine screws, not self tappers, but they will self tap into a 1.2mm hole.

The last cover is superglued in place. All the parts were sanded to give the paint a key.

This is going to be quite a slow build. Every part needs fitting and finishing. All holes need drilling. I suspect that a lot of joints will need filling too.

I've decided that the wheels and hubs will be painted black, but the spokes will remain natural metal to show them off. Otherwise it's going to be a very black bike....
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MFH Brough Superior SS100

Postby steve131 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:58 am

Great sanding work
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Mark,

Drilling the holes from the inside, whilst slightly more difficult, does make sense for the finished effect - even to me! :)

I like the way that the instructions show you how to thread the spokes, as that must make it easier for yourself. :)
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks for looking in on the thread Paul. Easier is a relative term. I think the instructions improve it from flaming impossible to merely difficult and fiddly. Look out for the next update in a day or so....... where I will wax lyrically.....
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baby_astons » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:42 pm

veeeeeeeeeeeery lovely, mark!!!!
building:DB5~E-Type~Testarossa~Aston Vantage V12~Millennium Falcon

stash: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=5628

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
baby_astons
General
General

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:30 am

OK, on to the rear hub. This is what you need (plus 4 tiny screws)

A couple of hours drilling, filing and sanding, and you end up with this.

I did try putting the front wheel on the jig to get a feel for how lacing the spokes will be.

The rim doesn't fit in the jig snuggly. It wobbles about a bit. The hub sits in on the axle, which is held in place with a nut. The threaded end of the axle sticks out of the bottom of the jig, so that wobbles about, or I'll have to drill a hole in the cutting board..... The hub spins and wobbles and bit..... There is nothing to positively align the hub and rim. Get the alignment wrong and the spoke pattern won't be symmetrical..... The spokes fall out as soon as you look at them...... In a nut shell, this is not likely to be an easy task..... My plan is to glue the hub and rim to the jig with PVA. Hopefully once I have a solid structure to work with the spokes will be a little better behaved. However, the first row have to be fitted from under the disc in the hub, so they have gravity on their side :angry-banghead:

Anyway, just the holes in the rear rim to drill then I can start painting.

As a little diversion, I dry assembled part of the engine. The fins are amazingly thin and will look fabulous. However, each fin has a lump of white metal to cut off and sand smooth, so this is going to be a long job. 22 fins...... The crank case is going to get polished, but not to a high shine. The fins will be painted black.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Heck Mark,

What with the spokes (Oh and the gravity as an "added bonus"!) and the fins, you certainly have your work cut out with this kit. :)
Just :) to Cause a Landslide - Some :superlglue: will be included .....

Shelby Mustang GT-500
Pocher Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Paul
General
General

Postby number1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Good luck with the wheels Mark, had plenty of fun (not) :laughing-rolling: doing the front wheel of the vincent, blue tac is useful for stopping things wobbling while threading the spokes, is it not possible to fit the spokes on the "top" side first? I cheated and threaded all the spokes from the top on the vincent :shhh: looks like this ones going to keep you busy for a while :mrgreen:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:26 am

This model is going to take a lot of time. Every part needs finishing, and there are a lot of parts !

Good idea to use Blutac. I thought it would actually be easier to do the 'bottom' spokes first while I had unrestricted access, rather than doing them while working around the 'top' spokes.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 am

Ah I see what you mean about the bottom spokes first, my wheel was done in two halves, will update my build later today. P.S theirs another Brough being built on Britmodeller if you did'nt already know, seems theres an issue with the front tyre tread pattern?
Les
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:57 am

Also interesting to see model is based on TE Lawrence last bike :ugeek: :ugeek: Great work. :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:44 pm

I've been following the build on Britmodeller. The guy knows what he's doing !

I saw the discussion on the tread pattern too. Not too bothered about it to be honest. Comes under the heading of far too difficult to fix, and it's apparently correct for TE Lawrence's last bike. The bike will still look brilliant if I can do the kit justice.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Just a quick update. Got the rear rim drilled and now the wheel parts are primed. I used Tamiya fine surface primer which seems to have stuck to the white metal very well.

I did read on Britmodeller that the front rim is supposed to be handed as the spokes are angled out further on one side. However, I couldn't see which side was which. However, I did discover that the rear rim is handed. The left and right side of the hub are very different diameters, so the angle of the spokes is different. I started on the wrong side and discovered that the drill wasn't coming out in the dimple on the inside of the rim. Flipped it over, and suddenly the drill came out in the right place. Not a disaster (I hope !!) as I only got two holes wrong before I realised. I think that I can just drill the hole slightly larger to give a bit more wiggle factor.

I'll carry on and paint the parts black tomorrow. Going to use Tamiya rattle can gloss black, decanted into the airbrush. That's what I used on the RC166 and it is a nice paint. Dries quickly to a good gloss finish. Then it can have a week to cure while I muster up the courage to start spoking. In the meantime I can play with the engine ;)
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:01 am

You may notice that the spokes are colour coded on the instructions. I labelled the holes according to the colour codes, just to give me a fighting chance of spoking the wheels correctly.

I see a metal rim and I want to paint it black !! There is a wrap of marking tape to protect the pencilled letters.

That's it for the wheels for a week or so. I want to leave the paint to harden properly so it doesn't get scratched by the jig :pray:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:08 am

The frame...... This is made of three main pieces. The main part, the bottom and a small part that the springs locate on, and two tiny black screws.

The bottoms screwed to the main part, and the hardest task is to drill the holes and the right angle in the right place so that everything goes together nicely. The centre upright has a peg rather than a screw, which gives you a nice positive location, although you do have to drill the hole for the peg. Now I've got lots of cleaning up to do. That's the worst part about bike frames on older bikes..... I shall do that between other tasks to save it getting too tedious..... No great rush, I've got a whole engine to make before I need the frame.

Now, on to a bit of BLING :D

There are two metal sides to the tank which are made from white metal. I've decided that I'll polish these, as seen on many Brough Superiors.

Before, and after the initial sanding with 800 grit paper to remove the blemishes. All the sanding is done wet. Gives a better finish, and stops the white metal clogging the paper, which it would do really quickly as it's so soft.

This is how it looks after sanding progressively from 1000 to 4000 grit paper.

Then finished with Tamiya fine and finishing rubbing compound.

That took a whole afternoon, and I only finished one side. That's still got some blemishes in, so I may go back and have another go with the rubbing compounds.

Here's what it looks like in place. The tank is a resin casting, and beautifully cast. Lovely finish and not a bubble in sight.

Time to spend another afternoon on the other panel !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 pm

wow that tank came out beautifully Mark with all the sanding. :clap: :)
excellent build and very interesting how the wheels go together. watching with interest
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks Casper. It's really satisfying to see the white metal come up almost like a mirror. Now I have the task of giving it a coat of gloss clear to stop it oxidising. There is also the added complexity that Broughs with the polished side panels had a gold pin strip to border to polished section. Still thinking about how to do that !!! Probably a home made decal :think:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:06 am

The frame didn't take as much work as I expected :D

Here it is, ready for a coat of primer and black. The screw heads are recessed and I filler the holes with Milliput fine. I tried the crank case in place, and discovered that the fixing points were a little too close. Easily remedied by bending the frame a tad. The white metal is very soft. I just hope there aren't any knock on effects... :pray:

I see on the Britmodeller thread that the builder polished his crank case with wire wool. I've just had some delivered so will try that.

As an aside, some may know that I do all my on-line shopping through www.Taobao.com, which is a Chinese version of Amazon shops. You can buy almost anything, including the odd things like live scorpions and spiders !! I assume these are for pets not dinner, but you can't be sure..... Anyway, I searched for wire wool in English and it was coming up with items that were costing around £20 :o I fired up the translator and searched in Chinese, and suddenly there were items costing 20p !!
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:41 pm

The wire wool worked a treat !! I used 0000 grade, which seems the finest there is. Here is the crank case nicely polished, and also the bottom of the cylinder studs polished and superglued in place. I did have one minor hic-up when I managed to snap the locating pin off one of the stud bottoms. However, that was easily fixed by drilling a 1mm hole in the bottom and inserting a bit of brass wire.

There is some nano modelling on the horizon. I was looking at the parts for the cylinder heads, which include some tiny bolts. Really tiny bolts !!

The build is jumping about a bit as I am having to wait for paint to dry on other bits, and on occasions things are so tedious that you want a change of scenery. It's starting out as a very rewarding build though.
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Coming along nicely, trying to resist getting one myself :whistle:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Next

Return to Cars & bikes