MFH Brough Superior SS100

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: MFH Brough Superior SS100

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby number1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:58 am

Dam, you were right Im wrong, may alter mine if I can. Must do some research before tackling the Vincent.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 am

To be honest, it's probably almost invisible, tucked away behind the exhaust anyway.

Having seen your spring pull the peg off your stand, I decided to change mine for bits of brass tube.

Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Well I've had a look at changing the brake cable but decided not to bother, as you say its mostly hidden and the risk of breaking something is to great a risk. I think thats the way to go with the spring fixing on the stand, to mend mine I drilled all the way through the stand part, threaded the remains of the broken "peg" onto a long rivet I had left over along with the spring and superglued the rivet into the hole. P S where should the long rivet have gone?
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 am

Probably a wise move not altering it. I decided to change my wire to some stranded cable. I tried to extract the old cable using some airbrush cleaner to soften the superglue, which has worked in the past. However, it was glued in far too well, and of course, you're past the point of no return once the cable is snipped. Unfortunately the end of the brake adjuster broke off, and I couldn't drill the wire out of it, copper being harder than the white metal, so I straightened up the bent remains and superglued the stranded wire in place. Here is the result, although the photo doesn't' show the strands in the cable very well. It's not too bad. I think it's an improvement, and I shall get it right first time on the front brake. I'll try to take a better photo in daylight.

I decided against trying to do anything with the other end as that really is inconspicuous, tucked in behind the exhaust.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh, I nearly forgot. The flat rivets. One goes on the primary chain cover to hold the peep-hole. The other goes in the right footrest, it holds part of the side stand mechanism.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Cable repair looks good, your right its not really seen once the exhaust is on. As for the rivet must have been the one for the "peep hole" I had left over....
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 am

Got the headlight done now. I just glued to lamps into the reflector, then added the glass, and realized how rubbish it looked. So I pulled it apart again, polished the inside of the reflector as best I could. Couldn't get a mirror finish though.
Painted the base of the lamps brass, and tried again. Much better !

The ammeter on the back of the headlight.

There is a braided hose to represent the headlight cable. This kinked very easily, so I slipped some copper wire down it.

Headlight and front number plate in place. The number plate was simply sprayed black, then the raised letters polished off.

Handle bars completed with speedo added. That was a pain to do. The bezel didn't want to fit.

Rear number plate fitted. That was a black decal over bare metal, and is very effective. There is also an option to paint it black, and use a decal with white numbers.

An overall shot to finish.

Definitely on the home straight now. I plan to display it on a plinth, supported on a Perspex block, with both stands raised.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am

Marvellous ... it just keeps on getting better, doesn't it? And I'm really liking the little refinements you're adding, this is something that comes close to nirvana when building for my own personal pleasure. For instance, the build I'm working on at the minute has been more of a pugilistic exercise - fighting me every step of the way, and coming close to winning on occasions - and this has been going on for the best part of 18 months now. Whereas its replacement on the bench "The Brough" although a sophisticated and complicated build I'm hoping will be all the better for the thinking and effort that has gone into the creation of the kit in the first place.

....................................................... :clap:
Last edited by Andi Little on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks Andi, I must admit, I'm really enjoying this model. One of the best I've built in years.

It's fair to say that I'm not a rivet counter, so I've no qualms about tweaking a model to make it look good, rather than be strictly accurate.

Did I mention, I've got the Black Shadow waiting in the stash.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andi Little » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Mark wrote:Did I mention, I've got the Black Shadow waiting in the stash.

Now that is soooo unfair, you could've kept that to yourself - or at least until I'd gotten over the body shock and mind melt of buying the Brough ....... SO unfair.
Andi Little
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby casper » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 pm

superb model Mark :clap:
casp
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby royjess » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Coming together really nicely. Very detailed and realistic looking :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby number1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Really coming together now, like the idea of painting the brass bits on the bulbs! Must remember that for the next one, wont mention it here, dont want to give Andi a coronary :laughing-rolling:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 am

Thanks guys :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 am

I'm thinking of replacing the rubber seat with a leather one. However, I'm struggling to come up with a way of making a former. The supplied rubber is too soft use as a former, and I want something a bit thinner anyway. Also, I don't want to risk messing up the kit part, in case my efforts fail. Has anybody got any suggestions ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby number1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm

:o :o :o now that would be something! Only thing I can think of for a former would be to crave the shape into a soft would like balsa perhaps and form the leather over it?
Good luck with whatever you choose, would be a good idea for the vincent though :think:
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks Les, food for thought. I was also wondering about filling the inside of the kit part with silicone rubber, then perhaps covering it in PVA soaked tissue to make a hard former to form the leather over. Then remove the silicone rubber plug and hopefully leave a seat rigid enough to hold its shape. However, I've never worked with leather before, so it's new territory for me.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Could you experiment with some PVC faux leather? All you would need is to order a sample piece from a supplier that will deliver to china (or a seller in china)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAUX-LEATHER- ... xyiklTlcTw
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby krow113 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:09 am

Make a mould of the kit part. Cast it in resin , pare down to suit the material you will use .
. HiroBoy has thin seat material , looks like leather , adhesive cloth for seats , part # 922.
I dont know if it is stretchy , another alternative would be sign vinyl , that has some stretchability.
I think it sounds like more trouble than its worth...
krow113
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Postby Mark » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks for the input. I've 'cast' a plug in silicone rubber. I painted the inside of the kit seat with masking fluid, after checking that it peels off easily, and then filled the seat with silicone rubber. I've now got a good plug to work from. The kit part is undamaged too, which is a definite plus !! Now I need to come up with something that is firm enough to hold the shape when it's in place, but flexible as I don't think the plug is perfectly shaped. Like our government, the seat wasn't exactly strong and stable :laughing-rolling:
Plan A is to try tissue laminated with diluted PVA. Plan B is to try tissue laminated with quick set epoxy.

Anyway, I've been busy, and the bike is complete apart from the saddle and exhausts. Not much to comment on - it's all been adding fiddly details, wiring/cabling, etc. Difficult work, but nothing a pair of tweezers, a scattering of fairy dust and a bit of good old Anglo-Saxon language didn't sort out.

ImageIMG_2264 by Mark Wakelin, on Flickr

All that's left is the saddle and the exhausts. The exhausts had a mould line running down them, so that was sanded out and they were re-polished. Tedious, but not too difficult. I was tempted to leave them as they were, but decided I really couldn't live with the mould line...... Pics to follow later
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Cars & bikes