Revell VW Barn Find

Wheeled vehicles in general - I'm not fussed how many wheels it's got !

Re: Revell VW Barn Find

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks Mark, they look so much better and can now be bent or cut. Not sure how well the model air rust acrylics will adhere to the foil but it could help with scratches. I will try a red brown primer first on some test pieces and see how it looks with the rust over the top.
need a few more..
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:53 pm

started to make up the roof support beams for the sheets to attach to. The centre beam was chamfered both sides and the middle beam was ruffed up a little.
I used a little Gorilla glue and a pin for a good strong bond.
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:49 pm

While working on a Lego build last week at my desk an almighty bang behind me gave me the fright of my life :shock:
I kept the barn find diorama on a book shelf next to a speaker and gradually the model moved to the edge and fell face down on the floor :angry-banghead:
To be honest I was surprised to see that the only damage was to the barn and thats meant to look like a pile of broken wood anyway so its ok and can be fixed. The base had a few knocks on the rocks and some of the gravel from the matting fell off but it could have been a lot worst. The rocks can easily be changed if need be but they dont look that bad and there is a long way to go yet. :)

Finally started laying down some base colour to the wood on the shed using some heavily diluted Vallejo acrylics and black frisk drawing ink. I find the washes sink into the wood and blend together better if the wood is pre washed with very thinned old wood, it helps capillary action. A touch of thinned olive drab and green spotted in the wet areas where the timber would have been constantly damp. I think it will work as the base coats and after the whole shed has been done I can add more colour and Mig slime and grime affects.
I will have to make sure next time not to use as much glue because it has in places squeezed through the sides and the acrylic paint won't cover it so before proceeding I have removed any dried glue with a scalpel but the glue has left a sealed footprint that still won't except washes but not to worry as some weathering later will hopefully disguise it.

didn't see the glue till i started adding washes :roll: colour looks good though :)

still wet

Dry
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 pm

All the base colours have been done to the wood so its time to fix the main side in place using a bit of Gorilla glue, you have to be careful not to apply to much as it expands and goes rock hard. The wood was first given a diluted wash using the Vallejo old wood and then the other colour washes were used wet in wet. When dry I added some Mig slimy grime to some areas like the base and tops of the posts, the colours are perfect and blend together very well and looks very convincing. I forgot to add a tiny bit of rust to a few of the nail heads before fixing the side in place but It shouldn't be a problem. Bit difficult to get an accurate photo but to the naked eye it came out great and suits the rest of the model. I have made a few corrugated sheets but will make a couple more to play about with just incase, just need to airbrush some rust colours on them. I will glue in the other post today so I can progress with the roof. The groundwork has lots more work to be done like blending the edges of the matting into the muddy area and adding more interest and I need to go back to the VW and have a recap on what needs doing. The seats need looking at so I can finish off the interior and add more weathering.

diluted old wood first

Gradually add the other colour washes wet in wet. Looks a bit messy and dark but as it dries it starts to lighten up
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm

you can barely make out the green slime washes in the pics but to the naked eye its perfect, I will add a little more where needed later in the build.

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:44 pm

mark :)
casper
General
General

Postby Morris » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:21 pm

Awesome artistry, Casp. The staining in the shed sings!
Morris

'Phase 9&10' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America posted
1/32 Tomcat for BOTY starting
Morris
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 pm

Morris wrote:Awesome artistry, Casp. The staining in the shed sings!

Thank you Morris ;) having fun with this one. The enamel Mig Nature effects are brilliant but you have to be patient and add a little and wait for it to dry before adding more.
The Gorilla glue is excellent and the side of the shed is solid and that really helps when I start to add some roofing sheets.
Next up is to add the gable end and support post but I need to make the hole bigger in the base after repairing the wood its a tad smaller in width.
you can hopefully make out the washes in the next photo.
I also need to do the wooden edge strips around the base in the same way but not until the Muddy area where the tractor will sit is almost finished.
mark
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:11 pm

you only need a drop of glue, this stuff expands :o as you will see when its dry.
The gable was pinned and glued, this time sparingly so not to get overspill. It took me half an hour to clean up the main side piece :roll: you live and learn :)
Let that dry for a couple of hours and move on to the roofing sheets

this is starting to get heavy :o
casper
General
General

Postby number1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 pm

This is awesome, loving this. :clap: :clap: :clap:
number1
Colonel
Colonel

Postby casper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:06 pm

number1 wrote:This is awesome, loving this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you Les :) ;)
the roof sheets are pretty easy to make and can be cut or bent before or after paint, I might try a galvanised paint affect on a couple of test pieces to break up the rust and it will hopefully look like a past repair. I'm not overly keen on the matting :think: it has a shine to the nylon grass unlike some static grass and after falling face down off the shelf (speaker on to load) last week I lost most of the loose gravel and if you look closely in areas you can see the base matting in green. I may try a mix of scatter later when blending the edges in. The post is solid now and the glue trimmed so I can add a little filler to the top to finish it off.

ready for paint
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:15 am

This is competition class work Casper. You’re nailing it!
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby royjess » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:51 am

Doing a smashing job on this Capser, going to look amazing when completed
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby casper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Thank you for your kind comments guy I really appreciate it.
I decided to have a play with some various Mig washes in and around the cab and back of the van. I used some Mig wet ground splashes (wash) and added some grit I had (Arid Mix) and then next step was going to be the Mig damp earth washes but ran out of time yesterday. I also added a roof lining of sorts to the cab from toilet roll and mod podge and when dry painted it in a diluted light blue then added some dirt wet in wet, I will let that dry again before adding some extra detail. Things tend to change colour when dry so its best to wait and see how things look. Don't want to overdo it as lots more to do.

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:28 pm

looking very wet, hope it dries ok :think:
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:33 pm

Almost dry, just one or two small areas. Colour isn't to bad and it hangs well being stiff from the mod podge but the rust needs more work.
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm

:think: Think it's time to take a step back from the van for a bit and make a start on the roofing sheets.

I only need four or five roof sheets but I made a few more to play about with.
casp
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Sheets were airbrushed in metal color dull aluminium first to knock the shine back on the tin, In hindsight I should have lightly sanded the sheets before corrugating them to give the paint a key. :roll:
I then airbrushed some red brown primer and some rust and added some spatter with a stiff brush. When dry I used a brush to dampen some areas to lift the paint then all the sheets were given a good coat of Mig Matt clear coat. Some more weathering to add later after the sheets are fixed in place.
casper
General
General

Postby casper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Time to blend in the edges of the matting with sculptamold mixed with water, PVA and some Vallejo dark earth. This was worked into the areas with a brush and lollypop stick and then some base gravel mix (Arid Earth and Desert sand and stone) carefully sprinkled over the edges and because I lost most of the gravel that was in the matt after it fell off the shelf I also added some here and there within the grass to tie it all in. It all looks a little messy in the photos but with a bit of luck it should look ok after its been turned over to remove the loose material. Well that the idea anyway :whistle:

casper
General
General

Postby casper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:35 pm

Let that dry over night and then it can be turned over and tapped to remove the access gravel :) and hope the shed doesn't fall off :laughing-rolling:
To be honest the shed is solid :D the Gorilla glue around the posts worked a treat.
casper
General
General

PreviousNext

Return to Cars & bikes