Amusing Hobby 30.5cm Mosar Bar (Bear)

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm

A recent release from the boys at Amusing Hobby. This is a Paper Panzer based on the Tiger II/Lowe Chassis was to have mounted a whopping 30.5 Cm Mortar and was designed to accompany troops to destroy strongpoints, having the same frontal and side armour as the Tiger II/Lowe.

There are lots of bits in the box, but no interior. It's a concept vehicle that although designs and blueprints exist it never made it past the drawing board stage, Like the Lowe which was designed as a competitor to the Tiger II and eventual successor.

There are some really nice touches in the box and the casting detail is fantastic and will look good under paint, as is the welding detail.

Lets take a look at what is in the box.

There you have it! there are multiples of some sprues and they are labelled as being from the Lowe kit. You will have spares of the running gear which can be useful in other kits and builds and for doramas.

It is a relative simple build and the etched grill part is almost paper thin and easy to bend but it is very finely crafted and looks good under paint. a nice touch is the copper cable for the tow lines but they have missed the track cable used to help replace tracks. I suppose it's not much as this is a concept/paper panzer and equipment on vehicles did vary widely towards the end of the war and on different vehicles. I wish that all Manufacturers (meng) would include wire cable in their kits. Not much to ask for but a really nice and thoughtful touch. For those wishing to add then Eureka XXL have a Tiger II cable set that has both cables in it and will replace nicely.

There are the soft plastic/rubber grommets that fit into the rear idler and front drive wheels so they rotate as well as for the main gun mount so it will elevate etc.

There is a drop down platform underneath the vehicle which would have been used in the firing mode and this works.

The tracks are designed to be fully workable and I have made a set of these before and it is a very time consuming process of which great care and concentration with glue usage has to be done and there is a jig of sorts to help you.

There are some generic decals for this kit which you will also find in the Lowe and other Paper Panzer kits from Amusing hobby of which they are in register, but I wish there was three or four number sets. Still, those that are left over can go in the spare decal box and eventually you will build up a decent set of spare numbers!

It's not a small model measuring about 8-9 inches in length and will look nice in your cabinet.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Re: Amusing Hobby 30.5cm Mosar Bar (Bear)

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Time to start putting plastic together.

First off is the lower hull. to this I added the moveable parts for the firing platform and the main gun and mount.

The rear panel was built up with the entry doors which can be opened and closed. There's no interior to this kit and so they were glued closed. There are the handles to add to the doors and other external items.

the barrel has rifling in it. just a spray with Xtreme metal polished steel will make it look nice!

More detail to the lower hull

Front drive wheel. Some nice detail on here. Two built.

Final drives and torsion bar suspension covers added

Mantlet added. It fits really well and accurately and the casting texture is really nice and restrained. It will look very good under paint.

Adding roof and engine deck detail.

All the upper surface detail was finished, grills added etc. Everything apart from the exterior tools. Before I can carry on I need this in my paint shop for priming and the base coat of RAL 6003.
Last edited by snapdragon on Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:07 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Must get one of these ,like the copper wire ,had string in a couple of Tamiya armour :o :o
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 pm

The only things which are being added to this build are a set of Friul tracks I have in my stash for the Lowe/bar and RB models' German Ariel mounts, 2m & 1.4m Ariel's. the mounts are installed and the masts are on their way from Poland!

Steve, I think you will enjoy an Amusing hobby kit. you can add AM tracks or go with the kit ones, but be warned. The kit ones take time and very sparingly with the glue. Don't use extra thin, but normal cement and a sharpened cocktail stick.

My Friul tracks were done in an afternoon and evening of concentrated work. I have followed the instructions and put 110 per side together - 55 toothed and 55 flat but I don't think it will be enough. There are spares in the set so watch this space for a final count!
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Have you seen this chaps idea for metal tracks :?: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldwxgQYXNz4
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Priming and painting of the lower hull, torsion bar suspension and other things has been done and it is time to put stuff together!

Fitting the firing base.

The firing base. This should have been in my second post. It's been painted, but not in this picture!!!

I may repaint the area just to deepen the paint hue and repait any scratches, but as it will not be easily seen I don't see much reason in doing it. Any spare paint in the cup after my next session will see me use it up on this. The bar covers on the sides will be painted properly.

Fixing the suspension, both leaf spring and torsion bar.

Top added. Once fixed in place it makes a friction contact for the mantlet and gun preventing it from flopping loosely all over!

Adding RB Models' Ariel mounts.

These are the mounts on the roof... at least they are now!

hole drilled out to 1.6mm

Mount added

all 3 done.

That's up to date now. Just a lot of wheels etc to prime and paint. More soon!

Comments and questions welcome.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:56 pm

this is the track that is being used on this kit:

I got them off ebay, but can be obtained direct from Friul....

http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/atl-154-lowe-bar-pz-vk-7201-k-i255/

Check Ebay for availability and prices before ordering direct from the website as they can take 2-3 weeks to get to you from them.

I can put up a How to... for Friul if you wish. No problem as I have spares for this kit and may need to add to the links already assembled.

For the two E-100 kits I will probably try Spade Ace tracks from Dawn Grocery Store. See what they are like. I am told that they are very good.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:04 pm

I like the Ariel mounts they really work :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wingnut » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Hey James, I'm watching (and learning) this build with great interest, great so far and your pics are great ! as for the "copper" wire a very clever touch but it's just "picture hanging wire" you can get from B&Q (and other DIY stores) for just a couple £ !
Coming second place makes you the fastest loser.
wingnut
Captain
Captain

Postby casper » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm

good start to another interesting project James :)
mark
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby snapdragon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for looking in guys. A pleasant evening spraying wheels with primer.

Steve, sometimes it is the little things that make a difference. Ariel mounts are not included in the kit and it is these little touches that make it. I have on the way through Ebay a couple of 2m and 1.4m length scale ariel's for this kit and they are usually the last things on. They don't cost much at all but are very small. There are still some pieces to go on for the mount, but that is for when the actual masts arrive and are ready to go after being painted.

Somehow I don't think that the copper wire sold in B&Q as picture hanging wire coms in 0,8mm lengths which this is for the scale tow ropes.

Eureka XXL have a great range of scale tow ropes

http://www.eurekaxxl.com/sets/towing-cables-35

metal rope in various widths

http://www.eurekaxxl.com/sets/metal-wire-ropes

Coper wires in various widths!

http://www.eurekaxxl.com/sets/fine-copper-wires

Very useful for armour, aircraft and ships!

I have just purchased a special set of ammunition for my Meng 1/35 Tiger II. I emailed them and asked if it was possible and they said yes. Cost me £50 including postage. More on this when that kit comes onto my bench!

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Ok... time for another update.

The building of these kits is the quick part. What takes the time is the painting. I never paint quickly and always take note of the weather. My hobby room is not air conditioned (I Wish!!!!) so my painting time is usually limited to 45 minute lengths as my compressor and the room heat up considerable and causes humidity which causes the water in the compressed air to condensate and I get, despite filters at both ends of the hose, water spraying out with the air if things get too hot. Also the weather outside also has a factor too!

There are multiple stages to my painting and each stage I leave to cure for a couple of days which also lengthens the time. I don't really need to with Vallejo as it is touch dry quite quickly, but I don't need to work quickly and so leave primer for 3 days, sometimes longer depending on weather conditions and how I feel while Vallejo is usually quite happy after 24 hours or so.

So since my last post there has been priming and painting sessions and also building sessions for two other kits but that's for another thread! Eventually the base coat is done and ready to continue.....

I need to explain the wheel process as it is a 5 stage operation.

1. Each wheel is primed on every surface and then left to cure.
2. Xtreme metal is then sprayed on to the rims of each wheel and left to cure for 48 hours.
3. A coat of AK Gauzy Agent Shine is put over the Steel to provide a protective coat and to slightly enhance the metal shine on a matt surface. I do this so that the next process doesn't pull off the steel paint as that doesn't like masking tape.
4. using 2.5mm masking tape I mask the rims to prevent paint getting on them.
5. Base/final coat on the wheels both on inside and outside surfaces. Leave to cure and remove masking tape. The was only two wheels of which both paint and primer pulled of a small part of the rims, I can live with that is they won't be noticed.

The wheels were then assembled and attached to the kit.

Does the camera lie? Yes it does - and here's proof.

The base coat of this kit is RAL 6003 Dark green or Olive green... take your pick. It is the base coat used late war from about November/December/January 1945 to the end of the war. The pictures below were taken with flash.

Now those look like I have used the original 1943 Dunkelgelb Nach Muster paint.... but I haven't!

Over the past couple of days I have spent time fitting the Friul tracks making sure that they are the right length. These now need to go into the paint shop for their coating of Gunmetal. Also all that is left to do is the camouflage and decals on the vehicle then it's bound for the display cabinet.

It is a great kit and builds up really nicely and if you don't rush, easily. It does benefit from a couple of extras, such as the antennae and if you want to go that bit further the friul tracks. While the kit tracks do build up as workable they take a long time and you have to be really careful where you put glue. The friul tracks due to their metal casting add that bit of weight and realism as they actually sit better due to the weight and they are easier to put together. One thing I would also do if one was available would be to put a metal barrel instead of the kit one. Just for my own asthetic taste!

Adding AM parts does add to the cost overall and it is very much optional, but in the end it is up to the builder's individual taste and the look they are wanting. It would be nice if Amusing Hobby just went that little bit further and added the option of a plastic or metal barrel to their kits.

The next post will show the finished kit.

James
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby builder76 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Nice build to date, Snapdragon. :)
Look forward to seeing the final painting details. 8-)

John
Life requires patience & understanding, as do hobbies.
builder76
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Postby snapdragon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:55 pm

The tracks are being painted.

These are Friul tracks for the three Amusing Hobby kits Lowe, VK7201 and Bar. They have the right chunkiness and depth that the track components in the kits don't and because they are white metal sag realistically under their weight.

All these tracks get are three to four passes with AK's Xtreme Metal Metallic Smoke with a 0.4mm nozzle just open a tiny bit to let the paint out. It gives a very nice dark track colour with just a hint of shine. You can see the difference between the original white metal and the finished track.

Because each link is not painted to full depth you get a multitude of subtle variations which keeps the eye moving.

Just the track in the background to do and then I will start on the vehicle camo pattern.
snapdragon
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 pm

They better than plastic x million.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Military Vehicles