Meng Tiger II with series turret

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Ok... this is going to be quite a long build as there are two boxes and two instruction books and you have to move between both which means some very careful planning.

As I posted some time ago, this kit will feature brass ammo from Eureka XXL which will replace the entire plastic load from the interior set. Friul tracks will replace the link and length kit tracks and Meng's extra set which I bought thinking I need them!

As It turns out, and no official FB from Meng about this, but they have the initial turret kit and interior set to which I am keeping my eye on my suppliers to get hold of it. Seems a shame not to have both of these in your cabinet! and it is a limited edition too, released to commemorate the battle of Caen also there will be an interior set and zimmeritt set too. The release then I am supposing will be June/July this year.

I have been playing with the large kit items to get an idea of what I can and can't do with this kit regarding the finished display. Most of the parts in the photos are dry fitted, but some are already in place.

I have also been tesing the Eureka XXL shell fits for both hull and turret racks with the turret rack being built up.

This will take some time to put together and I will probably spend more time painting than building!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Meng Tiger II with series turret

Postby steve131 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:39 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Uber Jell watching this with great interest.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Progress has been made.

Here's the roadwheels being primed

I will detail the process I use for steel wheels, as it is a multiple part painting process, but the first bit is priming!

Some of the screen mesh for the engine deck has been torn. it is very delicate stuff and I have re-ordered that fret from Meng. The problem is that it is not easy to remove from the fret without damage Also handling it can also cause damage too. it is very fine and highly detailed stuff!

Once I have painted the lower hull inner with red oxide then I can start putting stuff in.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:06 am

Very nice James. The mesh detail looks amazing. The best way of dealing with that is to cut it out with a new No 10 scalpel blade and cut on to a flat ceramic (bathroom/kitchen) tile. You should get a clean cut with no distortion. Then handle with tweezers of course.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:20 am

The main problem with the two frets with these kits is that they are tougher metal than brass... Nickel I think and also the runners where they join the parts are quite wide and thick.

I do use the scalpel and tile method. Maybe hammer and chisel in this case! :laughing-rolling:

It is nice though that meng have thought hard enough to provide molds for the screens. Today I should be able to finish painting the lower hull and some other parts and start moving on.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:28 pm

Loving this , think the Jig great idea :think: :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:37 am

Progress has been made. A little slow, but the interior is very slowly beginning to fill up.

A replacement Fret for the mesh has arrived and I am waiting for some interior stencilling stuff to be sent from Archer Fine Transfers.
As those of you following will know, I am using my own recovered Tiger II from the Munchenberg Panzer Division for colours and equipment etc so I am replicating a real thing from the bottom up!

First things first.

Getting the shock absorbers ready and the brake drums and covers.

I primed and then painted the uncovered piston area with Xtreme Metal Stainless Steel. Now this stuff, contrary to manufacturers claims doesn't like being masked but I reckon this, and Vallejo's Metal Color are the best on the market at the moment and both sets are on my workbench.

so, to protect the paint I put a generous coat of AK's Intermediate Shine Enhancer. It piuts a protective coat onto the metal and adds just a little extra gleam.

Once all that had cured leaving it overnight I then masked the area taking off some of the tackiness of the tape on the back of my hand first.

Once ready it was time to let loose the RAL 8012 and then once cured, remobe the tape. No damage to the metal paint was done!

The brake discs and covers were painted and it's time to start fitting stuff!

The sides were added. Ther are a very tight fit and hardly any glue was needed.

On with fittings!

The next lot for priming and painting!

That's it for now. I have lots of priming and painting to do with all the suspension bars etc to do as well as the pile above!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Great work :clap: Nice to see you get a full disc in 1/35 certainly looks a quality product 8-) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Great stuff! :text-bravo:
Morris

Starting Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
Building 1/16 Sherman
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Here's another update

Pictures say lots of words!

The replacement etched mesh fret arrived and so I replaced the broken stuff...... carefully! It is incredibly detailed!

Once some archer transfers arrive I can finish this little bit!

The Tiger II has two first aid kits. this one which is next to the firewall and one behind the radio operator. Meng only provide one!

A little too far here! Won't be able to get the firewall in!

Will need to make some paint repairs now!

Firewall ready to be painted. On the Munchenberg Tiger II the entire firewall is red oxide!

That's all for now. Just need to find one half of the fire extinguisher that I dropped last night!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Great work :clap: The details of this blow my Tamiya collection away :angry-banghead: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Thu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks for the support and kind comments, guys.

A little progress has been made and I have been concentrating on the ammunition.

The German military didn't use brass cases. They had learned in WWI that brass was a valuable comodity and usually in short supply so in tthe 1930's switched to steel cases with a protective parkerised coating to prevent rust etc.

There were many colours used with green, grey, copper, steel colour, gold, bronze being common with a clear laquer coat over the top.
As I am replacing the kit ammunition with a complete load from Eureka XXL then there is a lot of work to be done.

First I have to sand everything so that primer will grip and stick I'm using 50,000 grit on these. I have then to prime. Painting comes next with shell and case being painted seperatley the the decals need to go on and then lastly a coat of AK's intermediate shine enhancer to give the parkerised effect.

The painting can be a 3 or 4 stage process with a day between everything to let it cure before touching it. Metal ammunition can greatly enhance a model as the detail is much crisper and there are no seams to deal with.

I have done a few AP and APCBC to see the colours and also to fit into the rack I have already installed.

Just the painting has been done. At this moment I have not added the decals or the shine enhancer.

It doesn't like much work has been done, but there has been lots of time spent. I'm not rushing this build at all but I know that the ammunition will be a great time factor as it has to be and look right.

The colours I am using are either actual colours for the cases or as close as I can get them!

I'll be using more Eureka XXL Ammo for the Rye Field Panther G I have and the Meng Tiger II with initial turret when that becomes avaialble and I get it!

Comments and questions welcome

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Great work I have used Tamiya ammo in past , got a link for yours :?:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 pm

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Just caught up with your build thread, SD - very nice! - detailed to the max,,,, K given,, :clap: :clap:
Morris

Building 1/16 Sherman
Morris
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Morris. I haven't been able to do much recently because of the weather and heat.

I will be doing an update shortly and I have had to scrap the painting of the metal ammo and start all over again. I also now have Mengs initial turret and interior too. It's more or less the same build but the turret structure is different in how it goes together.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:23 pm

I have to report that the Tiger II build has been scrapped due to a bottle of thinners tipping over and melting the hull bottom.

replacement kits will be sourced once my supplier comes back from holiday and I do have initial turret one in my stash. Just need to get the Zimmerit set and the right tracks!

In the meantime, The Panther G from Rye Field Models has gone on the bench. I also have had a major move around and put a new set of rules on the wall!

1. Is the top on everything?

2.Are you sure?

3. Check to make sure.

4. Put it back where you got it from!

5. Knocking stuff over costs you money!

6. No work after 11pm..... GO TO BED, FOOL!

Should cover most things!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Shame about the accident but at least you got a couple more as backup .Model making certainly has it ups and downs.
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that this build came to an untimely end :( You were working very hard on this and it was coming along nicely. I hope that you can either savage the model or at the last resort, manage to get yourself another duplicate kit.

I'm really gutted for you :(
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Aawww man!?! :angry-banghead: I will follow your advice, for :) sure
Morris