Rye Field Models Limited clear upper hull/turret Panther

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Rye Field Models Limited clear upper hull/turret Panther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby snapdragon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 am

The Jagdpanther from Meng retails here for £44 -49. My China supplier has it for a shade under £33 including postage (£20.80). Which is an unbeatable price IMHO.

Mark poses an interesting and potentially good display option. I can't do it on this one, but Takom are putting a Panther D out at the end of this month beginning September and it has an interior and both normal and clear upper hull/turret as an option in the box. This could be a good subject to do it on.

The Panther D variant was, in fact, the first variant and first saw action at Kursk which makes the colours, Dunkelgelb Nach Muster (quite a bright yellow, actually which Vallejo do a excellent copy), RAL 6003 Green and RAL 8017 Brown (more of a chocolate brown).

I would need to look into the orders of battle to see which Regiments were equipped with Panther D and look up their insignia.

In fact, the Panther D didn't distinguish itself and the majority suffered engine failures and fires. The issue was fixed by the fitting of a power governor that limited the revs to around 2000. This issue was solved completely with the next engine to go into the Panther Chassis and this, amongst ongoing improvements and design changes the Panther went on to get a reputation of a very reliable and feared opponent.

When I saw the Rye Field Model kit I knew it would cause ripples across the dark side and indeed lots of armour builders turned their backs "not a proper kit" was one comment. Some, like myself see an opportunity to step outside the box and do something different.

Indeed, Mark's imagination seems fired up and shows that the display options with clear upper hull/turret is limited only by your imagination.

Rye Field Models next one is a Sturm Tiger with only the roof in clear plastic (I think) which again gives us an option to see inside without taking a razor saw to an expensive kit!

Yes, Steve! ...... It's on my list!
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:53 am

:lol: :lol: Well done Mystic Snaps was going to ask ,got the Tamiya StrumTiger myself with limited interior nice kit but this sounds awesome. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Glad you're inspired by my thoughts. Indeed, I think there is a whole world of possibilities opened up by clear view kits. The rather standard, 'just leave it clear' seems rather unimaginative.Perhaps we'll start to see them on the competition tables once people with more skill and imagination than me start to experiment.

I never used to like clear view kits, but I was quite pleased with the feathered out paint on the fairing of my RC166. That won't be my last.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm

This update I start putting the turret together and masking.

The replacement sprues have now arrived and I will be able to finish the turret and basket.

Some parts fitted and a dry fit of the gun and mantlet just to give me an insight to what's going to be seen.

put stuff on the inside and then mask the inside.

turret basket base under construction

I still have a pedal to add here.... it vanished out of my tweesers!

Turret interior primed and painted with RAL 9001

turret exterior primed and painted and some of the camouflage done. Base coat is RAL 6003.

More interior and exterior parts to be added.

Ok... take off the masking tape (carefully) and lets see what we have!

That's it for this post. There'll be more masking and painting on the turret once the back plate is done and the thing is ready to be built up and added to the upper hull.

comments and questions welcome.

James
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:15 pm

:clap: Brilliant work ,loving this ,think all kits should supply this option . Have been researching this kit and Takom and Meng and they are light years ahead of Tamiya armour now , they are more money but you get more bang for your buck, think will have to leave Tamiya now :think:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm

this is really cool - watching the progress is like watching a jigsaw puzzle being pieced together :D - enjoying it....
Morris

Posted 'Phase 4' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
Finished 1/35 Ford Mutt Jeep
Morris
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

Great work James. I think your version of a clear view finish will look superb.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snapdragon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks guys for the comments.

The build deepens as I concentrate on the turret basket and the hull exterior. I have kept my painting plans on the flexible side as there is so much detail in this vehicle and the temptation not to put any main gun ammunition increases as I don't want to block views in from the left side. There is also the matter of the equipment on the sides... we'll see what things look like later in the build.

The right side of the upper hull is to be fully painted and so I can stick the equipment and detail on... carefully and using Tamiyas extra thin.

The next series of photos shows the engine deck. This will be painted up fully and a few minor fit corrections made so they fit nicely and can be removed.

a basic dry fit just to give me a look on how things are going. The commanders cupola is not properly in place and still needs building up and painting prior to fitting.

dry fit of the turret basket components. There's some painting to be done here!

Another view of the turret. the interior of the cupola wit ht he periscopes is painted and finished. The exterior is done and ready for priming and painting.

more dry fitting on the turret basket components.

That's all for now. I have to struggle with wiring!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Brilliant model. :clap: :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:25 pm

it is very cool! :clap:
Morris

Posted 'Phase 4' Hachette Easy Rider Captain America
In Very Slow progress 1/18 Pegasus Bell X-1
Finished 1/35 Ford Mutt Jeep
Morris
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Postby snapdragon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Time for another update.

When it comes to the clear interior, I have made my plans, but also kept things flexible. First off a dry fit of the turret, just to have a look...

Looking good. You will be able to see just how cramped inside these things are.... but I will need to get rid of all the fingerprints!

Back to the lower hull and the final drives. For some reason RFM have put all the gearing in them. It's not necessary and some may say overkill... but for that repair diorama...

glued together but dry fitted. I need to paint this seperate and the inside of the armour protection to the left in the picture and put some internal stuff in first before putting them in place properly.

so, with the exterior of the lower hull and all the parts added to the outside and priming done. Time to paint the lower hull interior. I have copied the paint exactly from the real thing, and it is different from the OKH paint orders.... not in the colours but what was painted.

Base colours as RAL 8012 Red Oxide and RAL 9001 Cremeweiss.

suspension went in to the paint shop and then into the tank!

The lower hull bracing and re-inforcement are etched brass. They're a bit fiddly and bend easily. take care, paint then put in as they go in on top of the suspension components.

Here's a good tip for this... when putting in the sping arms on their sorsion bars the fit is tiget and you WILL scrape the paint off the bars. Instead, remove the bars from the swing arms. glue the swing arms in place (there is a lug you can use, ore remove to have them working, but as it is a very tight fit, don't bother with moving suspension) amd fit the bars from the inside. there's room to do it and saves painting again!

I went on a component building spree, keeping in mind what the finished components needed to look like.

More parts including some very small folded etch get put in place on the exterior.

Gearbox, drive, mounts and controls painted and built. there are a couple of bars to add, I'll do that later.

While I was building this, I didn't add the mounts to the gearbox/drive as in the instructions until painted.

swing arms and final drives painted and ready!

All the lower base parts fitted and repainted where needed. This is now ready to build off

Dry fit of the gearbox and drive.

Right! on we go! Adding the brakes and their covers etc.

More next time!

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm

Great work :clap: Stunning model this is the future :ugeek:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Time for an update.
There has been much painting and building going on and there's still much to do. This RFM kit is like rebuilding the real thing.
I have been working on the upper and lower hull. The turret still needs some parts putting in.

Upper hull re-masked

etched detail added

change made to turret basket floor surround to incorporate generator for the IR device. A stowage bin containing 3 rounds was removed to accommodate this.

A brand new RAL 6003 base coat will be put over the upper hull and turret covering any previous camo attempts.
Parts installed in the inside of the upper hull and lowe hull for the driver and readio operator.

Some other parts fitted to the lower structure too

dry fit of some upper hull supports and storage

Stencilling put on where needed. A mix of kit and Archer dry transfers

Fresh paint put on the tank

Also dry fit of exhaust

Turret base (basket not added yet)

Camouflage painted on following original vehicle pattern.

Removal of making tape. The vehicle is nowhere near finished yet.

Dry fit of spare track links. I al using the kit plastic ones as the etched brackets I don't think will support the weight of the metal friul ones.

There is still all the equipment to add on the exterior and I am waiting for Eureka XXL towing and track wire to arrive.

I may leave a set of spare links off the left side so the fuel tank can be seen.

This kit hasn't got any side skirts included and really it is the only thing I can mark the kit down on. I think I will add Abers' set as it should fit the brackets which are included in the kit!

I have also to obtain Friuls tracks but that's the last thing to go on.

I was going to obtain a full load of ammunition from Eureka XXL, but The owner hasn't responded to my emails. I don't really want to use the kit ammunition as it isn't quite right and detailed enough so I will build and insert and ammo stowage empty, but the upper gull will remain unglued so I can add some at a later date.
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 am

Excellent work , imagine this bigger 8-)
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snapdragon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:27 pm

You mean...... Trumpeter 1/16?

It's due out shortly!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Military Vehicles