Takom 1/35 V2, Meillerwagen & SS100

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Takom 1/35 V2, Meillerwagen & SS100

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby steve131 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:46 am

:lol: Yes it does throw you how big they are in real life remember when I went to Bovington and seeing all the Tamiya models i have face to face ,and how different and solid all the delicate parts that snap off a model are ,tool and track racks exhaust mufflers,schurzen and how heavy an armoured mud guard is :D Think Vallejo is defo way to go now 8-)
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Although Vallejo model air is my main paint go to, I always keep my options open. If the right colour is not available (for instance Japanese Aotake) I will use another brand.

For instance, when doing Japanese aircraft, Vallejo has all the colours available except for the right Aotake for which I use Tamiya's X-13 Metallic blue which is a colour which they did for when they released their 1/32 zero's and is the best on the market. I will always apply that with a paintbrush as for some reason, despite thinning Tamiya clogs my airbrush. The blue-black Cowling on the zero is not in the Vallejo range, but it is in the AK range and is AK2066.

I see no reason not to mix brands to get the best outcome despite some being scale altered but my primary source is chipset accurate Vallejo.

Now for an update.

The Meillerwagen upper lifting part has lots of small parts around the frame and it is best, like the bottom part to paint as you go along. I have taken longer to do this due to the heatwave and not wanting to paint in really hot and airless conditions.
Now it is all done and I am ready to move on to the SS100 tractor unit.

Now I can start the Hanomag SS100 which I will do in all over RAL 6003 green!

For those interested in this kit I can say it is not a hard build but there are a lot of small parts and with the option of either having the erector raised and lowered provides for a diorama setting. All you have to do is watch out in the instructions and make sure that parts are not missed as they are on one option but not the other option does not mean they don't need to be there. check the difference between the parts for the raised or lowered options. There are several parts that should be on both but are not listed on the raised build instruction option.

While Takoms instructions re not the best detailed out there the kit is not too hard, you just have to be aware of a lot of small parts, the build options available and what goes where and make according plans. Think things through before starting.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
Certified model building idiot! Please treat with kindness!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Morris » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Awesomeness x 10, James. Bring on the tractor!
Morris

1/32 Tamiya Tomcat as Top Gun in progress
1/48 Tamiya Mig 15
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a part work
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby steve131 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Wondered where you have been Snapdragons ,got to admit heat killed me off and being under the stairs amplify it,can only do about forty minutes a day . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ultra jell of the paint rack :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .Does the chain come with the kit or did you source it yourself?. Can you do standing and relaxed missel or is it one or the other?
Post script
Excellent work.

Excellent work.
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:24 pm

The chain comes with the missile and you can have it raised or lowered.

The paint rack comes from Ukraine.

https://lmg.in.ua/product/wo-24-pidstavka-pid-farbi-18025mm/

In total including shipping cost me $30 USD but took a good month to arrive due to the virus. You can stack them.

here is Aleksandr's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/lmg.ua/posts/?ref=page_internal

It is quite reasonable stuff for the price and comes flatpacked. you will need some wood glue and clamps.
Partwork Building is like meeting enemy action - no plan survives first contact!!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby royjess » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:47 am

This is coming along nicely Snapdragon, you are doing a fab job on this :clap: :clap:
Completed Builds Hachette - The Black Pearl
Completed Builds DeAgostini - Build the Millennium Falcon

Always thinking outside the box....!
royjess
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks, Roy.

I am tempted to continue with the other kit in the series with the crane and transport trailer...

an initial inspection of the manual looks like with a little extra effort and jiggling the crane would work. String and chain included, only that the string is white and in 2 widths so I am attempting to locate replacement in a steel colour. It looks a complex build and I have learned NOT to paint the tires as the tires on the Meillerwagen are tacky as the paint won't dry. There may be a chemical reaction going on, I am not sure, but the dry paint on the wheel hubs is ok!

While it looks a complex build the real trick will be decoding Takoms instructions for the rope and chain movement, the rest, although it looks complex is not too hard providing I pay attention and figure stuff out first so I understand what should happen at the end of the section.

I may look for some black chain, or I have some fluid somewhere that should do the trick and change the copper/brass colour.

I also have this in my stash too:

Which I intend to do as it shows on the box in travel mode. Maybe I should do that at the same time????

By the time I have done that, my mojo should have recovered enough to finish the Hellcats! :laughing-rolling:

snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:21 pm

They got your name all over them Snapdragons,not a fan of string myself even Tamiya does it :think: :naughty: Have been scoping out Takom lately and like what I see :geek:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby steve131 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:56 pm

I see on Andy's Hobbies ,Takom Blitz are releasing a Jagd Tiger Porsche been trying to get one of them for my Tiger collection but was hard to source so went Henschel Tamiya . Might look into getting one ,you never had a bad Takom Snapdragons ?
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:47 pm

I did a Takom Panther a while ago and scrapped it. It did have a full interior and I was having lots of fit issues with the inside detail and I was never sure if it was me or the kit. I think that the lower hull tub was warped and that threw everything off.

I have had no troubles to date with the current Takom build apart from putting in the hydraulic parts (the silver support/lifting parts). they are a tight fit and on retrospect it might have been easier to fit them together off the model and fit them last thing.

There are several companies taking pre-orders with some European ones having some good prices despite the current exchange rate.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/takom-8003-jagdtiger-sdkfz-186--1265341

MBK are a good firm to deal with and they have a look at the kit on the page above. I have bought from them a few times and never had any problems.

As I start with the Hanomag SS100 tractor I look through the other kits and I have decided to continue with the following as it seems to make sense to follow on.

So I have pulled the parts out for the second Hanomag and am building them side by side. Both will be painted exactly the same but will have different reg. numbers!

I will also build and paint the cranes side by side with one erected and one in transit modes. I have ordered some black 0.5 and 1mm waxed polyester cotton to replace the white kit stuff.

I am also considering doing the second V2 in a two tone green splinter pattern using RAL 7009/6003 or something similar. What do those of you following this thread think?

James
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Postby steve131 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:06 am

I know you don't do dioramas but that would look awesome ,paint sounds good and you could weather and brand new one :think:
steve131
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Morris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:22 am

steve131 wrote:I know you don't do dioramas but that would look awesome ,paint sounds good and you could weather and brand new one :think:

Agreed :D :clap:
Morris

1/32 Tamiya Tomcat as Top Gun in progress
1/48 Tamiya Mig 15
Hachette Spitfire Mk1a part work
DeAgonstini Ford GT40 part work
Morris
Captain
Captain

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:39 pm

Not really keen on weathering would just prefer to stick to proper colours! Besides, all this would be brand new kit anyways!
snapdragon
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Military Vehicles