Trumpeter SA-2 Guided Missile

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Trumpeter SA-2 Guided Missile

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby number1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:58 am

Honest thoughts? I think the chipping is very effective, as for the bleaching I think its a bit over done especially on the left of the picture, I wonder whether a slightly lighter coat of the final colour misted on to the middle of the panels would work? Think this is what military modeler's do for a faded look.
Regards Les.
number1
Lietenant Colonel
Lietenant Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks Les. I thought the fading was overdone too. The right side was with the same colour, but thinned much more. I tried again with a shade closer to the base colour, and thinned even more. It looks much more convincing.

I used fine sea salt which seems to have a variety of grain sizes. Course sea salt looked too coarse, and table salt looked too fine for the effect I was after. Perhaps mixing fine sea salt and table salt might be effective :think:
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun May 24, 2015 3:36 pm

After a bit of a long break, I've managed to get back to this.

Here is the red oxide "primer" with the salt sprinkled on.

Then the dark yellow, followed but a lighter yellow on the upper part of the launcher. The salt has been rubber off. I ran into problems here, that I didn't have on the practice run. The weather was quite humid, and I was using Chinese salt rather than Waitrose sea salt (no idea if that's relevant or not !!) and the paint was very reluctant to dry where the salt was. Seems that the salt was holding the moisture and the paint wouldn't dry. In the end, I put it in the oven set to its lowest setting for half an hour, and that did the trick. I had to repeat the exercise with each coat of paint......

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun May 24, 2015 3:44 pm

After a bit of a long break, I've managed to get back to this.

Here is the red oxide "primer" with the salt sprinkled on.

Then the dark yellow, followed but a lighter yellow on the upper part of the launcher. The salt has been rubber off. I ran into problems here, that I didn't have on the practice run. The weather was quite humid, and I was using Chinese salt rather than Waitrose sea salt (no idea if that's relevant or not !!) and the paint was very reluctant to dry where the salt was. Seems that the salt was holding the moisture and the paint wouldn't dry. In the end, I put it in the oven set to its lowest setting for half an hour, and that did the trick. I had to repeat the exercise with each coat of paint......

Now we have most of the launcher assembled, and I've added some rust streaks with AK Interactive's Rust Streaks. This is a pretty good product. You paint the streaks on with a very fine brush, then leave them for half an hour or so to dry a bit. Then take a brush damped with thinners (I'm using artists trips, but I suspect any enamel thinners would work) and brush out the streaks. The thinners softens the streaks and lets you blend them, and the end result is as you see.

I've also added a bit of rust pigment on the top of the control box. This was added very sparingly, and then washed out with turps to make it look like surface rust and rust sating to the paint. It's actually a bit heavier than I intended, but it did stain the paint and I couldn't remove any more of it. Not to worry, it's not vastly overdone (in my eyes anyway !!)

There is also some steel paint dry brushed over the treads and handles, etc. to show heavier wear in these areas.

Comments always appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Brilliant work with the rust stain product works well, nice little kit
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Mon May 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks Steve ! I'm quite pleased with it.

As an aside, some people might spot that the first two photos are actually my practice piece. I must have forgotten to take photos of the real thing before I gave it the rust staining :oops: didn't spot it myself as I was working from a tablet :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still got the other side to do, and the the missile itself.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon May 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Came out excellent Mark :clap: :clap: :) great look
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks Casper. I'm quite pleased with the way it's coming on, especially considering it was a pain to build !

Here's a bit more progress on the weathering.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:42 pm

The missile was sprayed aluminium, then left to dry for several months, till I had a free weekend to donate some quality modelling time to it ;)

It had a light salt sprinkle, then painted with a slightly greenish gray. A heavier salt sprinkle followed by a more bluish gray. I only applied salt to the upper facing surfaces.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Military Vehicles