Trumpeter SA-2 Guided Missile

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Trumpeter SA-2 Guided Missile

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby casper » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:42 am

Hi Mark
Like the way you did the detail with a biro :clap:
And the etched additions look great.
Interesting build matey. Looking forward to the next episode :D
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 am

Thanks Casper. I have t say, this is one of the hardest aftermarket sets I've fitted. It takes a lot of fettling and trimming to get the etched parts to fit.

Here is the control box with that second door fitted.

This is an overall view of the launch rail, both good and bad sides ! This needed a fair bit of filler !

Here are shots of the missile and the booster.

Still lots of work to do on this. Some of the etched parts are very small, and some of them are going to be left off as they are just too fiddly.... :oops:

Painting wise, I'm torn between Russian green or dessert yellow....... maybe dessert yellow, with a good deal of chipping and a few rust streaks on the launcher, but the missile being kept fairly clean.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 am

Dessert yellow sounds good with chipped paintwork around the high spots Mark. If you do decide to have a chipped surface will you be using hairspray or a chipping agent before the top coats.
Never had a go myself but would like to give it a try at some point in the future. Control box looks great :clap: :)
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

I was going to try the salt technique - never ttied chipping before, so it'll be a whole new experience.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 am

Here are the two control boxes. One for each side. All the major items are in place I think (well, most of them anyway.)
I still have the door fastenings, steps, and such like to add. Those will be very fiddly and time consuming.
There are also some handles which are very poorly moulded but will b replaced with brass wire.

As you can see, I did decide to add all the internal structure to the doors !! :liar: :liar: :liar: :liar: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:08 am

I'm tackled some more of the fiddly etched parts. There are screw clamps (or whatever you want to call them !) to hold down the large covers. These are replicated with three tiny etched parts and a bit of plastic rod. First the top and bottom brackets are folded and glued in place. Surprisingly, these actually went on quite easily.

The lengths of plastic were cut and glued to the handles. Again, these went relatively easily. (Going too easily - the model is lulling me into a false sense of security !)

The handles and screws are glued in, then trimmed to length. This wasn't too bad either (The model must be planning a right doozy for me :? )

A close up !! This bit was a lot easier than expected.

Finally, The steps are glued in place. These are made of triangular supports, which I needed my Etchmate to fold up. The pliers, for once, couldn't manage to fold up all three side of the triangles. Then the treads are glued in place. This was all a bit of a pain to get right, but not the nightmare that the model must be planning for me ..........

I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing quite like bent and twisted metal to replicate bent and twisted metal. I'm going for a well worn and slightly battered effect, and I think I'll achieve it. Mind, the etched parts are very difficult, so getting a pristine, factory fresh finish might be much more challenging :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 am

I've find the nightmare that the model had in store for me ...... the little handles that hold the various hatches down. Some of them are made from the same handles and the previous hold down bolts, and some are even smaller. However they are all mounted on a 0.4mm plastic rod, about 0.8mm long. That's the really fiddly bit. I fitted the little specs of plastic to the handles while they were still on the fret. I lost count of the number that ended up feeding the carpet monster......
The easiest way I found of fixing them was to apply a drop of glue to the back of the handle, and then put the rod in place with a very fine pair or tweezers.

Then the handles can be cut free and glued in place. This is the result. Amazingly, I didn't loose any of the completed handles... probably as I made extra in case the carpet monster was hungry ! You can also see the fuse wire handles that replace the very rough ones in the kit.

Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:43 am

Here is a shot of the original kit part wit doors, handles, steps, etc. added, compared to the version with the aftermarket parts added. Was it all worth the effort ? I think so.......

Here are all the sub assemblies ready for painting prior to finally assembly and weathering.

Next up, a coat of primer, a coat of red oxide, some salt and desert yellow.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 am

Most definitely worth the effort Mark :clap: :clap: :)
the extra work and detail really looks excellent and makes all the difference. putting the handles on the fret parts first made assembly a little easier for you :clap: but still very very small parts to work with.
nice work Mark have a K my friend :clap: :clap: :D
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks Casper. It's nice to have the assembly over on this one...... Looking forward to the painting now :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steve131 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 pm

AM parts bring it up nicely :clap:
steve131
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks Steve, lots hope I can do it justice with the painting and weathering......
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:05 am

Right ! I've decided that I'm going to start with a sand yellow launcher and a light grey missile. Both are going to be chipped and weathered. I gave all the parts a coat of Vallejo light grey surface primer. This didn't start well as it just beaded up on the metal parts of the launcher :angry-banghead: I waited for it to dry then cleaned it with a solvent to degrease it. This also took off the paint so I didn't need to resort to sanding. The second attempt went much better. Not convinced about this primer to be honest. I much prefer Halford white car primer, but sadly the nearest can is some 6000 mile away :(

Then I gave all the launcher parts a coat of Vallejo rust. This is a pretty good representation of red oxide primer. The missile is getting a coat of silver. These are the colours of the chips that will show through the top coat. I'm going to try using the salt method. You spray the base coat colour and let it dry thoroughly. I'm going to leave it about a week. Then you damp the surface with water and sprinkle salt where you want the chips. Apparently another light spray of water will help fix the grains of salt. Then spray it with the top coat and let t go touch dry. Now rub the salt crystals off and the primer should show through. Wish me luck.

Here are the parts with the red oxide colour. The missile is still in the grey surface primer, but it got a coat of silver the day after. The window sill makes and idea dying station.

It had crossed my mind that the missile wouldn't get heavily weathered, being loaded, aimed and fired. Mine is going to be an abandoned missile.....
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:10 am

PS. The part I made to compare the 'oob kit' with the 'as built with etched parts' is going to be a test bed, so it too has been painted rust red.

PPS. I didn't use chipping fluid as that needs a fairly hard rub, and I didn't think all the delicate handles would survive !
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:14 am

Looking good there Mark.

I look forward to seeing how the salt chipping task goes, that's something I've nether heard off. :clap:
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:53 am

Here goes with the first attempt at salt chipping, using the test piece before I commit myself to the actual model. I also want to try and represent the chalky matt paint you get from sun bleached paint.

First up, I damped the model with water and sprinkled salt where I wanted the chips. It's not easy to control. Not at all ! Then I gave t a very light spray with water to help the salt stick. The salt actually stuck a little too well, so the second spray ay be unnecessary.

Then I sprayed the model with a couple of light coats of dark yellow. Finally, I sprayed with it lightly with a heavily thinned ivory to represent the sun-bleached paint.

When it's touch dry, rub off the salt. You may notice that a couple of the handles came off in the process. Gonna have to be more careful on the real model !!

Can I have honest opinions on what you think of the effect ? Not sure that the sun bleaching looks right to be honest ?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am

Honest I like it, it look natural from the photo well done.
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am

How did you find the process of doing this effect, I've never tried it myself.
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks Mustang :)
It wasn't difficult to be honest. It's a tad tricky getting the salt to go where you want it, and it stuck surprisingly well. I won't bother with a second spray of water to fix it next time. Just keep the pressure down so it doesn't blow off :lol:

Other than that, it was a piece of cake.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Mark.

Was it just general salt you used :?:
Mustang
Brigadier
Brigadier

PreviousNext

Return to Military Vehicles