Tamiya 1/35 British Tank Mk. IV

Vehicles with tracks, guns or camouflage, etc.

Re: Tamiya 1/35 British Tank Mk. IV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 am

Arrrgggghhhhh :angry-banghead: Minor disaster. I was adding some dirt to the top of the tank, using some turpentine to fix some pigment, and the turps has reacted with the gloss varnish and made is wrinkle :angry-banghead:

This calls for a very careful sanding to get rid of most of the wrinkles, hopefully without damaging the paint underneath, then reapply the weathering.
Cheers
Mark

If you nose runs and your feet smell, you're upside down !
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:40 am

Damn shame Mark but I,m sure you can fix it.
The rust detail looks much better now :clap: I like the weathering to the tracks, they look really good. Will you be doing a diorama or stand for it when finished
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:55 am

Thanks Casper. I wasn't going to do a diorama, but it looks a bit "unfinished" just sitting on a shelf weathered up. I think I'll do a simple diorama. Just a plinth with some muddy grass and tank track marks. Nothing too fancy.

I've rescued the damaged paint. I gave it a very careful sanding to remove the worst of the wrinkles, then plastered more mud about. It's now quite heavily weathered !!

However, the mud on the top made the sides look too clean, so I added more streaks. This was all done with MIG pigments and fixer and/or turps. There are a couple of different colour pigments used. A dark earth and a light earth, on the top. The streaks are just done with dark earth mixed with turps.

Next up, the tracks, then tow rope and un-ditching beam.

All comments and criticisms welcomed :D
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:57 am

...and looking at the photos, I've just realized that I forgot to add some dirt to the gun barrels :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:51 am

Must have been left out int he rain M. The tracks have gone rusty :lol:

A mixture of a couple of different coloured rust pigments, then a metallic dark steel pigment to put the metallic sheen on the ridges.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:21 pm

I haven't forgotten this project. I've painted the unhitching beam about three times trying to get it to look right. I''m quite happy with this final result.

The beam was sprayed with khaki all over. Then I used burnt umber oil paint to add the wood grain. This is just the oil paint applied straight from the tube, in very small dots. Then brushed out, leaving brush marks in to simulate the grain. Being oil paint, its now got to wait a couple of weeks to dry off properly.....

Still haven't plucked up the courage to apply the mud to the tracks and bottom of the tank. That is a one shot job as the mud doesn't come off, so I need to get it right first time :? :? :?
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby casper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Wood grain looks great Mark :clap:
Have you decided on a base for her yet, if you are having her all muddy you could use the same mud and dust effects on both tracks and diorahma at the same time from the same colour pallet.
just a thought :)
My Honda MP4/4 Build Diary
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=5208
casper
General
General

Postby Mark » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks Casper. I was thinking of using the same mud/dust colours for the dio and the tracks, to tie the whole thing together. Still not quite sure what I'm going to do yet. I have some ideas, but haven't got quite the right colour grass tufts. I don't really want to have to go to the local Games Workshop store for scenery as they are really expensive. Will have to hunt round to see what I can find on line.
Cheers
Mark

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Military Vehicles